the "not worthy of it's own thread" thread

Where were you headed?
... And of all the times I've flown VFR around Chicago (and my airport is under the shelf) I've only been cleared into Bravo 2x...
Headed south from Schaumburg back to Champaign. I was on flight following just a little southeast of DuPage getting beat to death in the thermals and the heat. He asked what my final altitude was going to be, I said "6500", and he says "cleared into the Bravo, maintain 6500". I about dropped my teeth. About 5000 we got above the inversion layer and it smoothed out & cooled down, so I really appreciated it.

Wouldn’t that have ignited the hydrogen?

In all seriousness, I don't think so. From my memory of reading about WW1 British fighters and Zeppelins, they were apparently pretty tough to bring down with regular ammunition.

Headed south from Schaumburg back to Champaign. I was on flight following just a little southeast of DuPage getting beat to death in the thermals and the heat. He asked what my final altitude was going to be, I said "6500", and he says "cleared into the Bravo, maintain 6500". I about dropped my teeth. About 5000 we got above the inversion layer and it smoothed out & cooled down, so I really appreciated it.
I told y'all it happens! Outbound only and usually in the direction of ORD departures (+/- what MDW is doing). S, SW, and NW are most common. And no, it's not because "I know a guy".

i-gTSzDST-L.jpg

lately people have been replying to emails, but including the attachment from the original email.

What's up with that?

What twisted mind configures replies to include attachments from the original email?

lately people have been replying to emails, but including the attachment from the original email.

What's up with that?

What twisted mind configures replies to include attachments from the original email?
It's a default setting in the iPhone Mail app, and even when I turned it off it turned back on during some update. It's both stupid and annoying.

don't you just love when you ask an either/or question and the person answers "yes" (and you know that they don't understand what a logical OR is - nevermind XOR)

don't you just love when you ask an either/or question and the person answers "yes" (and you know that they don't understand what a logical OR is - nevermind XOR)
When I know I'm speaking with someone prone to doing that, I usually add something unpalatable. For example:
"Would you rather have pie? Or would you rather have cake? Or would you rather have none of the above."

Last edited:
Yesterday while flying back from Michigan on flight following I heard a guy requesting/getting approval for doing touch-n-goes at Midway and then flying the lakeshore route.
This is officially the first time I've ever heard someone doing TnGs at MDW in the evening while Southwest's 737s are landing around them... That has to be an anomaly.

Would any midwest pilots here consider doing this at Midway? Seems to me like one of the worst airports for that.

Yesterday while flying back from Michigan on flight following I heard a guy requesting/getting approval for doing touch-n-goes at Midway and then flying the lakeshore route.
This is officially the first time I've ever heard someone doing TnGs at MDW in the evening while Southwest's 737s are landing around them... That has to be an anomaly.

Would any midwest pilots here consider doing this at Midway? Seems to me like one of the worst airports for that.
I’m not opposed to a T&G there. I have 1 landing there to a full stop and the hardest part was the taxi clearance - so that might play a factor.

There is a flight school at mdw, so they're used to little planes. I flew in there for my ifr long xc, and we were #3 behind a couple cessnas... and I'm not talking citations. There is a lot of 737's, and I'd try to avoid the rush, but if you wanted it in your logbook, why not?

Did the guy claiming to bang Halle berry get booted already? I was looking forward to seeing where that one went.

Must've been short lived. There was a thread this morning with a lot of outlandish claims about getting into aviation through rubbing shoulders (and apparently other parts) with Hollywood celebs. It was pretty comical.

There was a thread this morning with a lot of outlandish claims about getting into aviation through rubbing shoulders (and apparently other parts) with Hollywood celebs. It was pretty comical.

Dang..... missed that one.

I ran into Mary J Blige in Calabasas once… she seemed nice.

My Challenger oil filter is out for delivery. Supposed to be back ordered until October third. So I’m getting it early, which is nice. But I’m not going to be able to install it until my next oil change.

Now only if my fancy dancy Vividia boroscope and power flow exhaust would ship…

I flew three different airplanes over the weekend. Or, from a maintenance perspective, I flew 20 cylinders, 40 spark plugs, 3 oil filters, 10 propeller blades, and 7 pneumatic tires over the weekend.

Been thinking about Jeppesen plates lately [because I'm a normal well adjusted person]. Anyone casually use it?

I used whatever the company gave us.

However, for updating I prefered the government plates, much easier to toss the entire book than individual pages.

I flew three different airplanes over the weekend. Or, from a maintenance perspective, I flew 20 cylinders, 40 spark plugs, 3 oil filters, 10 propeller blades, and 7 pneumatic tires over the weekend.
Hmmm. A twin and two tail draggers?

Walking out of the parking structure, I noticed a BMW M3 with its lights on. I started to copy the license plate so that I can inform the receptionist to send out a broadcast email when I noticed that it was parked in an EV charging spot, so I stopped what I was doing and then continued on. Does that make me an evil person?

Back