Finally restarted my flying lessons.

I had another flying lesson yesterday. We had 8 to 10 knots crosswind the whole hour. I made three landings, but still learned a lot about flying. It was humbling, actually.

My airspeed control went to the toilet. Probably because I was spending time thinking about compensating for the crosswind and I don't have airspeed control hard-wired into muscle memory, yet.

My new instructor is Frank. His net charge is a lot more than Sergey's, but he's going to help me be a better pilot, and hearses don't have hitches. I didn't have any syncope issues, either.

My lesson was the perfect length. The first call (and last) I blew was for taxiing back to the FBO.

On the home front, Tammy is doing well enough we are starting physical therapy for her. Mom was a Special Ed. teacher for many years, and she said that certain muscle movements were necessary for babies' brain development. Considering in many ways Tammy's brain is starting from scratch, it needs all the development help it can get.

Plus, she's been lying in bed for 10 months. She's got to be stiff, and her muscles atrophied. This should help, too.

We are also bringing in a functional medicine doctor. She's already cured someone else who had CoVid-19 vaccine poisoning, and we're hoping she can get to Tammy's root cause and promote her healing faster.

Last edited:
Zippity do-dah, Zippity day.
My, Oh My, What a wonderful day.

I had my Dr.'s appt. this morning. I described my experience the way I experienced it, and how I described it on here. He said it wasn't Syncope, because that means you're unconscious. He thinks I was probably dehydrated, so I should try to stay hydrated. From now on I'll carry a water bottle with a Gatorade mix.

He also sent me to the lab for a couple of blood tests - essentially anemia and electrolytes. He said he didn't think I'd need them, but he wanted them done, just in case. The upshot is I don't have to mark the LOC box on the medical yes. And I medically qualify to solo in a light sport as is.

As I understand it, you aren't eligible for solo flight in a light sport if you know you wouldn't pass a 3rd class medical the day you fly. So as long as this was hanging over me, I didn't think I medically qualified for solo flight.

Tammy's new physical therapist came in today for an assessment and did some very light PT with her. Turns out one of her caregivers has been working with her doing the same thing already so that helps. It's a long road back, but even a journey of a thousand mile starts with a single step.

I've had two lessons since my last post. The first was with a new instructor, Frank. I was definitely not at the top of my game. It wasn't the new instructor, but my airspeed control sucked in the pattern, esp. past the threshold and through the landing.

The second was with my previous instructor, Sergey. I wanted to do crosswind landings, but he thought I needed rectangular course work, so that's where we started.

We flew to the ground reference work area and after a couple laps around the course, Sergey decided I knew what I was doing, so we flew down to South County, (E16 - Morgan Hill) for some crosswind practice. The wind was straight across the runway, at 12 knots, with gusts. I had my side slip in and was getting close to the runway when the when gusted and pushed me completely off the runway. We went around, and Sergey tried a landing. After he landed, he said it was too exciting for me. After being blown off the runway, I agreed. So, we flew back to Reid-Hillview (HRHV) for some closed traffic work.

My first landing was pretty much perfect. It was my second (cleared) straight in approach. I again landed with one notch of flaps. Unfortunately, I got my good landing out of the way first, and I struggled mightily after that. Again, poor airspeed control after the runway threshold, and rounded out too high. I need to remember to watch for the runway to start rapidly expanding before I start the round out and watch the end of the runway. Also, before the round out transition from crab to slip. I know I can do it, as I've done it before. Just doing it consistently is the goal.

I know it's not the same, but I practiced airspeed control a lot yesterday on my flight simulator and think I figured out how to improve my airspeed control. I think I know why I do well on straight in approaches - I have time to get used to the nose pointing down. Gotta deal with my ground fear, especially when finishing the pattern.

Tammy continues to improve. Her flexibility is improving, and the PT wants to try sitting her up Saturday. Also, she started chewing for the first time in months, yesterday. Even if her progress is measured in millimeters, it is progress.

I've had two lessons since my last post. The first was with a new instructor, Frank. I was definitely not at the top of my game. It wasn't the new instructor, but my airspeed control sucked in the pattern, esp. past the threshold and through the landing.

The second was with my previous instructor, Sergey. I wanted to do crosswind landings, but he thought I needed rectangular course work, so that's where we started.

We flew to the ground reference work area and after a couple laps around the course, Sergey decided I knew what I was doing, so we flew down to South County, (E16 - Morgan Hill) for some crosswind practice. The wind was straight across the runway, at 12 knots, with gusts. I had my side slip in and was getting close to the runway when the when gusted and pushed me completely off the runway. We went around, and Sergey tried a landing. After he landed, he said it was too exciting for me. After being blown off the runway, I agreed. So, we flew back to Reid-Hillview (HRHV) for some closed traffic work.

My first landing was pretty much perfect. It was my second (cleared) straight in approach. I again landed with one notch of flaps. Unfortunately, I got my good landing out of the way first, and I struggled mightily after that. Again, poor airspeed control after the runway threshold, and rounded out too high. I need to remember to watch for the runway to start rapidly expanding before I start the round out and watch the end of the runway. Also, before the round out transition from crab to slip. I know I can do it, as I've done it before. Just doing it consistently is the goal.

I know it's not the same, but I practiced airspeed control a lot yesterday on my flight simulator and think I figured out how to improve my airspeed control. I think I know why I do well on straight in approaches - I have time to get used to the nose pointing down. Gotta deal with my ground fear, especially when finishing the pattern.

Tammy continues to improve. Her flexibility is improving, and the PT wants to try sitting her up Saturday. Also, she started chewing for the first time in months, yesterday. Even if her progress is measured in millimeters, it is progress.

Don't forget to trim, don't forget to trim, don't forget to trim. Did I say that enough? If the stick is fighting you your airspeed control won't be good when there is a lot going on. Especially at this stage in your journey. You should be able to let go of the stick at any point during the final approach and the airspeed should stay within a couple of knots. In fact that's how I check if I think I may not be in trim. Remember to let things stabilize for a few seconds, or more if it's a big change, then trim. Wait another second or two and trim again if you need to. You have to trim. This stuff will become automatic as you get more experience.

For the cross wind landings, stop thinking about it. It sounds like you understand the basics. When you turn final, steer straight down the pea pod at first, you will see the centerline moving either left or right. As soon as you see that start correcting using a crab. Put in as much crab as you think you need to get it back on centerline. Once you get to the centerline you need to adjust the crab to hold the centerline. Then it is a constant adjustment all the way down the final as you slow, the wind changes, whatever. That's flying, you just need to fix it. All you need to remember is which way to turn, stay coordinated, stay on glidepath and maintain your airspeed. When you get about 50 feet above the ground, use the rudder to align the nose with the centerline of the runway. Stay on the centerline using the aileron. As you change the aileron, the nose will want to turn away from aligned with the centerline, keep it aligned with the rudder. This is slipping. As you slow you will need more rudder and most likely more aileron. There is no formula, no way to predetermine how much rudder or aileron is needed, you just react. That is flying. If you run out of rudder, meaning you have more aileron in than the rudder can stop turning, you have exceeded the capability of the aircraft, go around. If a gust gets you, more aileron then more rudder as needed. It's a dance, that's flying. YOU NEED TO KEEP THESE INPUTS IN THROUGHOUT THE ROUNDOUT AND FLARE, IN FACT YOU MAY NEED TO INCREASE THEM DURING THESE PHASES! If you let them out, you will blow across the runway. Remember this. When you touch down, guess what? You need to keep the aileron deflected and use the rudder as much as needed to keep the aircraft on the runway. If you let these controls out you will exit the runway. That's flying.

It sounds like you are close to being ready for solo. Keep at it.

<I practiced airspeed control a lot yesterday on my flight simulator and think I figured out how to improve my airspeed control>

How'd that work out for you?

<Again, poor airspeed control after the runway threshold>

I'm not surprised. What do you mean "airspeed control after the runway threshold"? In 59 years of flying, I don't think I've once looked at the airspeed indicator after the threshold. How do you even know it isn't "controlled" in the first place?

<rounded out too high>

Paying attention to the airspeed indicator, by chance? Staring over the nose, maybe? I told you where to look earlier in your thread, have you tried it? Ask your CFI to let you land closer to the edge of the runway and look along the edge of the pavement, not over the nose, for familiar objects you can judge your height by.

<I need to remember to watch for the runway to start rapidly expanding >

:rolleyes: Yeah, right. I watched the video somebody posted and when the guy said, "There it is, did you see it?!" I said aloud, "Huh, see what?" I don't know what that's all about, again, in 59 years I never saw "it".

<I know why I do well on straight in approaches - I have time to get used to the nose pointing down>

I don't remember what you fly, but I'm going to guess a level attitude would put you pretty close to the correct speed. I suggest your CFI cover up your airspeed indicator and have you practice by flight attitude instead. You may be amazed at how it changes your perspective, no pun intended. :)

Last edited:
We sat Tammy up on the edge of the bed this morning. That's the first time she's sat up since November 2021.
She still had enough core strength to support herself, a bit wobbly at first, but then OK. She was ready to lie back down after 3 - 5 minutes; but sitting up is key to her recovery.

I restarted near infrared light treatments this week, after a tele-conference with her new functional medicine doctor. He recommended that besides the head, we also do her Vegas nerve close to the base of the spine. Now that she's sitting up, we can wrap the belt around her instead of laying it on her abdomen.

I have a lesson this afternoon. He says we're going to work on speed and altitude control within the FBO's tolerances. I had a bad first outing with him but am not arguing. This is a chance to shine and surprise.

This week I practiced retrimming after every flap and/or throttle change for an hour on my simulator. I also practiced steep turns for about 45 minutes, and after I remembered what my first instructor told me, I was doing them pretty well. This SportStar's HSI is non-functional, so I need other clues to maintain a 45-degree bank. I actually like 60-degree banked turns because I like feeling the G-Forces. But 45 degrees is the maximum acceptable bank angle for pattern work.

I read a lot about stalls in Rod Machado's How to Fly an Airplane handbook, and if possible, I want to try to stall the plane at a safe altitude in a descending turn, to see what that feels like. According to the SportStar POH, it doesn't spin easily. The last spin I did was 20+ years ago, in a Citabria. The ground looked just like Kirschner describes it in Stick and Rudder.

Wish me luck. I'm headed to the airport early to help with Young Eagles (mostly girls) and pizza before the lesson. I'll be ground crew for a while. I plan on studying between YE and the lesson.

You have more everyday than me! Outside loading YE pax and then pizza would knock me out.
Hope the lesson was fun and I'm so happy about your wife's progress.

You have more everyday than me! Outside loading YE pax and then pizza would knock me out.
Hope the lesson was fun and I'm so happy about your wife's progress.
Thanks. The girls were well behaved. Of course, it took so long for them to fly they were probably exhausted. There were a few boys that flew, too.

I had an hour between my last pizza and the flight. I've never been in the Navy, but I've never had a problem with sea, nor air sickness.
The lesson was fun, and humbling. We tried the descending cross-controlled stall, but all we got was a spiral dive. I felt some G's, too. It was a new maneuver for both of us.

The nose drops on departure stalls, as well as no flap power off stalls. The plane essentially mushes down around 2K ft per second with a full flap stall.

I got a burble as I finished up my last steep turn to the left, but for some reason I couldn't find the groove for steep turns to the right. I decided I'd had enough after my last steep turn (which was to the right). I'll get it.

We were at 3000 ft 3 miles from the airport. I initially went to a forward slip, but he talked me into full flaps. I had to add power to keep from getting too low. That's how good the flaps are.

My landing would have been fine if I'd left the power alone. He said my round-out was good, and pretty close to the runway center line, but things went south when I chopped power. No more slipstream, no more P-factor, etc., and the glide angle changes, with no time to compensate for anything.

Maybe not this year, but after I get my PPL, I'm going to apply for the Jason Brown Tailwheel scholarship and go for my tailwheel endorsement. I figure by the time I get my PPL I'm going to be pretty good at crosswind landings.

I fly again Saturday, but with Sergey at 10 AM. I want to be able to nail the steep turns both directions. Then maybe more crosswind landing practice.

What are you training in again? An LSA?

Are you choosing to alternate CFIs or is that a scheduling issue? While it is good to get differing opinions, you'll get to solo sooner sticking with one.

A bit extreme but I think I had 8 CFIs and they would assign me whomever was available when I wanted to fly. I was 18 (30-years ago) and had no balls and no foresight.

Another older student raised his eyebrows when we were talking in ground school and said I had 3x his hours and he had soloed. He suggested picking 1 CFI and sticking with him. I soloed 3 or 4 flights later. Just my $0.02.

Oh - everything you are posting here - all pilots go through. It's a learning process in 3D! Stick with it. You're getting there.

Up thread ^^^ I meant you have more "energy" than me. Not "everyday." Love reading your updates.

Bkue skies!

Thanks. This is my favorite social media site.

I posted in another thread that the FAA sent me a copy of my most recent 3rd class physical, which I had April 30, 2007. That qualifies me for Basic Med. Ironically, I did a sleep apnea test Wednesday night to see if I still have it after losing 40 lbs. If I had to do a regular 3rd class, I didn't want to have to apply for a SI because of it.

I put my life in low gear for a long time thinking I had forever. But Tammy's condition has influenced me that I needed to shift into a higher gear.

I'm sure she will recover, but I don't want to sit around waiting for that to happen, and I'm sure she doesn't either. I've wanted to replace my 24" Samsung 245T monitor for a long time and use Reward points to do it. I finally have the points, and decided I need to finish her SS Disability Insurance application first. I've done a lot of shopping and have finally decided on an Alienware 38" monitor. It's overkill for flight simulation, but one of my mottos is "Nothing exceeds like excess". It seems to be about the best 38" monitor around, and it's come down 9% since it was first introduced. I have just enough room on my desk for it. My computer speakers (Klipsch) will have to go on the wall, and I have the speaker wall mount brackets picked out. I even know where they'll go. I'll have to move some of the Aviation Art from behind my monitor, but that shouldn't be too hard. Unfortunately, it'll be awhile before Tammy will be able to help me arrange them.

How'd you drop the 40? I have about 2x that to lose and it's overwhelming. I'm focusing on 10 to start.

Weight watchers worked great for me, about 25 over about 8 to 12 weeks. With the web app, easy to follow and track, which is the most important. I felt pretty well fed throughout too. The issue is not reverting back to bad habits.

I look forward to the day you post about taking Tammy for her first flight with you.
Thank you. That thought puts a smile on my face, and I look forward to that post, too. She had physical therapy this afternoon and was too relaxed after her massage to sit up. In fact, she fell asleep. For the first time since she hit bottom and started recovering, she started shrugging her shoulders. Also, the PT brought a high-backed wheelchair for her. I was doubtful of finding room, but I surprised myself, and everyone else, and found a spot for it.

Weight watchers worked great for me, about 25 over about 8 to 12 weeks. With the web app, easy to follow and track, which is the most important. I felt pretty well fed throughout too. The issue is not reverting back to bad habits.
I didn't set out to lose weight. I hit the pre-diabetic glucose level and cut my carbs down from over 300 grams a day to around 200. A big part of that was cutting out high fructose corn syrup sweetened (2) sodas a day. Also stopped eating bananas for potassium (pistachios instead), cut back on chips and candy. Substituted Almond milk for cow's milk les ice cream. And no more peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. I substituted one slice of bread, covered with margarine, covered with peanut butter.

I also kept up my exercise. My doctor says 20 minutes a day is enough, but I try for 40. Before I started lessons, I tried to work out for about 2 hours a night, 3 out of 4 nights.

Oh, yes, I've kept my A1C below 100 for the last two years.

Last edited:
TLDR.
I had another 1.1 hours today, and several landings. The first one was flat, and another I was too slow and too low. One was pretty as a picture. The rest were in between.

When I first started flying with Sergey, almost all of my landings were on the left side of the runway. Anymore, I don't even think about it, and the center line is always between the mains.

Before we flew, Sergey wanted to know if I wanted to do landing practice. I said "Sure", then he said if I didn't have good speed control (as in airspeed of 50 knots, we'd go do air work. I had good speed control, and never got down to 50, except rounding out and flaring. A big key improvement is to get close to the airspeed with the stick, trim the pressure off, then use trim to fine tune the speed. Just like CFI's have been saying since the Wrights invented the airplane.

Last week Frank gave me a really good tip about how to level off after a climb, and I saw Sergey do the same thing today. After that, I did the same, and by gosh for goodness sakes, it worked for me, too. The tip, in a SportsStar, is to throttle back to about 4000 RPM (it has a geared Rotax engine), then push the nose down to 60 knots. Then trim the pressure off the stick.

About the only difference between Sergey and Frank in flight is Frank wants me about 1100 feet AGL, and Sergey is OK with 1000.
Except for the too low and too slow landing, I had good energy management for the final approach. That was an excellent learning experience, and I didn't break the plane.

One landing I was too high, too close but 50 degrees of flaps and 60 knots got me down soon enough to land and have enough runway to takeoff without back taxing. I'd waited until I was over the runway to add flaps. From then on, I added flaps when I knew I'd made the runway, before I got to it. I landed a lot shorter after that.

My round outs are now close enough to the runway. Last year, Sergey told me I should fly the plane until I felt I was 5 seconds away from hitting the runway, then raise the nose a bit. For a long time, I wasn't comfortable getting that close before rounding out. Now, I start my round out when I feel I'm 3 seconds from hitting. As I was rounding out on one of my landings, I did notice the runway starting to get wide, faster, but I was already past the beginning of the round out.

My last takeoff was the best. I had just enough right rudder in to maintain center line without going right. It seems like my progress is in stages. First was to get the climb out right. Then down wind speed and altitude control. Next, when to pull power, following that, when to turn base (and all the while maintaining-as close to 60 knots as possible). As for flaps, it's a matter of judging height. I already talked about rounding out. The next two things to work on are automatically keeping the nose pointed down the runway and flaring enough. Sergey says in the flare, if you're sinking, you aren't pulling hard enough. I try not to overcontrol, but I guess in this case there's no such thing as overcontrolling in flare.

I was wondering if I should cancel the lesson this morning. There was a lot of commotion, and the hall toilet is leaking, and the hall sink, and tub are backing up when the toilet is flushed. I got the joy of sopping up the water on the floor and in the bathtub. But I put some pop rock on to start the drive, and later turned it to the classical music station. That helped me forget about plumbing and start thinking about flying.

One more thing. Someone mentioned I should stick with one instructor. I've been ping-ponging between Frank and Sergey because of scheduling, and they've been keeping each other apprised of my progress so there aren't any surprises. I'm scheduled with Frank until New Year's Eve. I'm hoping he'll send me for a stage 2 check before then.

One other thing. I think I flew for the whole cycle today. There were a lot of planes wanting to take off ahead of us, so ground had us run up on the compass rose (It's seen better days.) Then, even though we'd originally been cleared for runway 31R, ground sent us over to 31L. We flew left traffic there for a while, then tower had us do our option on 31R. After a while, when we were on our last downwind, they cleared us for 31L again. Not a big deal, just maintain altitude until it was time to turn final, and left traffic vs. right traffic didn't seem to make much difference in my landings.

Last edited:
An update on Tammy. Today she sucked some ensure out of a straw. She hasn't done that since June. If I needed proof she's coming back, that's it.
Also, I went through the spinal tap test results that Stanford Hospital finally sent me. They tested for CJD. There were no prions, and no CJD markers detected. Just like I'd reasoned. If they'd found them, they would have said 100%, and she'd be in Heaven by now.

I just bought 3 Wings of Hope raffle tickets for a 1968 Piper Cherokee 180. I don't know if winning the raffle will be the miracle I need to get Tammy healed completely, or her healing completely will be the miracle I need to win the plane. Either way, I'll be deliriously happy.

I have some sad news about Tammy's condition. When we got her diagnosis, I thought they said she had it because they didn't want to blame it on the Covid vaccine, and she had a severely bad reaction to it, mostly because they got it into her blood stream.

We got her spinal tap test results a while ago. I went through them, and it looked like they didn't find any CJD markers in her spinal fluid. But a few days ago, Ginger showed me they found the CJD markers in the spinal fluid. The neurologist said it was a 97% chance of CJD because it was sporadic (source unknown) CJD even though she had the marker, and dementia.

Ginger said Tammy was having back problems, and problems with her balance before the shot, and thinking back on it, her personality had changed with respect to me. These are all possible symptoms of CJD.

There's no telling how long she'll live. She's always been a fighter, she's gotten the best care I can afford, she has friends and family, plus people all the way around the world, plus pretty much the entire island of Tonga praying for her. The statistics are 90% of the sufferers pass within 2 years, but at almost a year in, she's not only plateaued, but recovered some. I think that's the brain healing itself from vaccine induced auto-immune damage. This is her third, and by far, her longest rally. It seems for us that the third time is always the charm.

Now flying.
I had a lesson this past Sunday. Frank said after it that I was improving, even though I missed the call to hold short at the taxiway. I've caught that one before.

We practiced emergency procedures, except restarting the engine. I impressed him two lessons ago about how fast I was able to turn off all the switches, restart the engine, and turn the switches on right after we landed; after I accidentally killed the engine.

Hi checklist is A, B, C, D, E
A for airspeed
B for Best Place to land
C for forced landing
D for decide
E for trying to restart the engine.

We circled around and around from 5500 MSL to about 100 feet AGL and did a normal power off base and final. We went around when he decided I had made the runway (full flaps, no less).

We also went over emergency transponder codes. It was hard to remember 7700 for engine failure, 7600 for comm failure, and 7500 for hijacking (like I'm going to be hijacked in a LSA!)
He gave me one memory item - 77: falling from Heaven. I came up with 76: silence of the comms, and I really like 75: the hijacker has a knife.

Good thing I got my 2007 3rd class medical records from the FAA so I can prove I qualify for Basic Med. I got my sleep test report today. Essentially, I have symptoms consistent with mild sleep apnea. I need to schedule an appointment to see what that means.

Tomorrow, we're supposed to do some power off stalls so he can see how well I maintain heading. After that, low approaches so I can get comfortable, and a good sight picture of where I'm in ground effect. I was going to practice on my simulator tonight, but it got too late too soon, and I had rough day. Maybe I can get it set up and practice some tomorrow morning.

Fellow student here (~56 hours, flying to stay proficient while I wait for an opening in the DPE's schedule.) The squawk codes are easy to remember as:

75 taken alive
76 need a fix (or "there's a glitch")
77 going to heaven

I was also taught the emergency engine-out procedure as ABCDE, but:

A - Airspeed (pitch for best glide)
B - find the Best place to land
C - Checklist (mags on both, master switch on, mixture rich, fuel selector and shutoff valve open, etc.)
D - Declare ("mayday" radio call and squawk 7700)
E - Execute - fly the plane to your previously-determined landing location, work the checklist backwards to reduce the possibility of a fuel leak, pop the doors before touchdown

Blue skies and tailwinds :)

<cut to the chase>
I so wish I could help you, but I have an old friend recovering from brain surgery who's depressed and suffering from walking problems and she's beyond my ability to do much for her too. What I CAN do is help you fly better! Unplug that darn simulator and stop looking over the nose during landings. Instead, look at the weeds up ahead, along the side of your runway. ;)

I so wish I could help you, but I have an old friend recovering from brain surgery who's depressed and suffering from walking problems and she's beyond my ability to do much for her too. What I CAN do is help you fly better! Unplug that darn simulator and stop looking over the nose during landings. Instead, look at the weeds up ahead, along the side of your runway. ;)

that’s been needed to be said.

He’s still looking for that BS expanding runway and wonders why he can’t ace landings.

that’s been needed to be said.

He’s still looking for that BS expanding runway...
Yeah, and he used to favor the left side, IIRC, of the pavement and was "schooled" against it. Let me suggest he naturally used to do that because his brain was straining to see those weeds to tell how high he was flaring. Should have been nurtured and then adjusted toward the centerline later.

Yeah, and he used to favor the left side, IIRC, of the pavement and was "schooled" against it. Let me suggest he naturally used to do that because his brain was straining to see those weeds to tell how high he was flaring. Should have been nurtured and then adjusted toward the centerline later.

Self training with simulators and listening to web/intarnets has limitations. I think we're seeing this.

I think at least two things are going on for the left side of the runway. One is parallax, the other is the as the wind slows down, which it does because of ground friction, it tends to curve to the left.

Round out and flare are taking less conscious effort so now I can spend more time concentrating on keeping the nose centered with the end of the runway while I'm flaring, at least until it comes up so high I can't see it anymore. Then I need to transition to watching how the side of the runway appears to move.

When I was taking lessons once a year, I'd practice on my simulator before the lesson, and the instructors were always surprised at how much of the correct stuff I'd retained.

A few weeks ago, I didn't have a chance to practice all week before the lesson, and I started my round out too low, and landed flat. Since then, I've practiced before the lesson and somehow then my best landing is my first landing. Not absolute proof, but I doubt coincidental, either.

Fellow student here (~56 hours, flying to stay proficient while I wait for an opening in the DPE's schedule.) The squawk codes are easy to remember as:

75 taken alive
76 need a fix (or "there's a glitch")
77 going to heaven

I was also taught the emergency engine-out procedure as ABCDE, but:

A - Airspeed (pitch for best glide)
B - find the Best place to land
C - Checklist (mags on both, master switch on, mixture rich, fuel selector and shutoff valve open, etc.)
D - Declare ("mayday" radio call and squawk 7700)
E - Execute - fly the plane to your previously-determined landing location, work the checklist backwards to reduce the possibility of a fuel leak, pop the doors before touchdown

Blue skies and tailwinds :)

Your checklist is pretty much the one I didn't remember. Except we didn't pop the doors - it has a bubble canopy.

Tammy seems to be improving. She's sitting up more. One of her fill-in caregivers was a social worker at the Anthony, KS hospital, so she brings a lot to the job, and is a lot more aggressive than the PT about Tammy sitting up. She's the one who suggested the stroke hand splints, and rigid boots to prevent foot drop. Should have been the PT, but she's the only one who will come to the house.

Tammy is tolerating the custom supplement blend, literally. She's only been on it a week and hadn't been getting enough of it to make a difference.
We are eliminating Ensure because it has "too much crap" in it. Also going to distilled water and homemade baby food. The major brands have too many additives, and Tammy is trying to filter out vaccine caused toxins. We don't need to add to the toxin load.

I just ordered an industrial strength near infrared light panel and stand. It wasn't cheap, but more power is always better (channeling my inner Tim Taylor).
The stand will hold it horizontally and allows the panel to be placed over a bed. Just another piece of equipment for my mad scientist's laboratory. I'll have the eyebrows for it soon, and all I'll need is a white lab coat. :)

I'll still use the light belt. if near infrared light can get rid of CJD caused brain plaques, it has to be concentrated on the head. Apparently, the lights work better if there's a gap between them and the tissue.

Our dog, Tuffy, is a terrier mix, and is around 15 years old. He's been having a lot of strokes lately, but the way he keeps bouncing back, I decided his middle name is Lazarus.

Tension to me is like water is to a fish, except a fish can't live w/o water, and I'd love to live without tension.

I rescheduled my flying lesson for tomorrow at Noon, to save my instructor 100 miles of driving. He wants me to practice straight in approaches to a towered field from 10 NM out (Coyote Creek Golf Club). I didn't know how far out it was until I looked it up on my sectional and measured the distance. At 60 knots, it'll take ten minutes to get there, so I just need to divide the starting altitude less TPA by 10 to get the descent rate. It'll take 7 minutes at 90 knots, etc. This is the first time I've used my sectional for a real-world calculation, such as it is. It works out pretty well when I practice on my flight simulator.

I think Tuffy is having petit mal seizures instead of strokes, because however long it takes him to bounce back, he bounces back all the way. That's what his sometime dog walker thinks. I still think he must be part cat.

We sat Tammy up for almost 20 minutes yesterday, and again today. It's amazing how fast she's getting her core strength back. We live a long walk from the local Catholic church. The weather is too cool now to push her, and she doesn't have the strength, now, to handle the time, but I'm sure she'll be able to handle sitting that long in a wheelchair next spring, when the weather is warmer.

I had a 1.7 hour, 2 landing yesterday. It was mostly ground reference maneuvers in a 11-knot wind just north of the Frazier Lake Airpark. GRFs are a lot more challenging in wind than calm, duh, but at least they weren't boring. He didn't criticize them too much, but I have a lot of room for improvement. He wants me to practice on my flight simulator in 15 knot crosswinds.

On our last landing, we weren't quite in ground effect, and there was an air pocket that dropped the right wing, it felt like, 60 degrees. I was startled but righted the plane and we kept landing. I needed his help once we touched down. I am pulling back more just before touchdown, in the flare. That's when the plane is the slowest and is most affected by the wind.

There's not quite enough legroom in the cockpit. The pedals are adjustable, so maybe next flight I'll see about moving them an inch or two forward so my legs won't get tired and cramp up. That's why I called it a day after one landing at San Martin. (We went around on the first attempt; a gust blew us off the runway.)

Tammy's sat up for 20 minutes, or so, at a time four days in a row, now.
Tomorrow marks one year from the time she was admitted to the Stanford Hospital, and they ultimately determined she had CJD. There's no proof she had it before the vaccination, so I'm going back to the hypothesis that the vaccine caused it.

I took Tuffy for a light treatment yesterday. They are getting a pet chiropractor in, and he needs adjusting because he has a bad back from all the jumping he did when he was younger.

I have had a few lessons since my last post. We're working on Ground Reference Maneuvers, and my landings are deteriorating. To add insult, the SportStar is down until the end of the month, and I've missed at least two weekends of lessons.

As my instructor doesn't get to the FBO until 3 PM Saturdays, and the SportStar is day VFR only, that cuts my lesson time because of the early sunsets. I'll need time in a certified plane for my night and hood work, so I'm transitioning to Skyhawks. Aerodynamic Aviation has several to choose from. It's pretty much Hobson's Choice which one I get. I need to hit the POH and get the V speeds before my first lesson, which is Friday.

Mixed news for Tammy. She's eating better and her digestion has improved. She's sitting on the edge of the bed for 15 minutes a day, with a near infrared light belt wrapped around her. Unfortunately, she was having strong tremors last night as I was finishing up her light treatment. Those are a symptom of CJD's progression. I prayed for them to stop this morning as part of my pre-breakfast prayer, and so far, so good. I'm also praying that she'll soon be able to eat sold food, but that seems to be taking a little longer.

Just a suggestion - consider taking the SP checkride and getting that ticket. Your life is complex, and if it gets in the way of completing your PPL you will nevertheless have a pilot’s license. No downside if you’re able to see the PPL all the way through.

Sorta like getting an associate’s degree en route to a BS. Locks in the credits and at least you have a degree if you have to stop.

Just a suggestion - consider taking the SP checkride and getting that ticket. Your life is complex, and if it gets in the way of completing your PPL you will nevertheless have a pilot’s license. No downside if you’re able to see the PPL all the way through.

Sorta like getting an associate’s degree en route to a BS. Locks in the credits and at least you have a degree if you have to stop.
Thanks. That was the original plan,when Tammy was well, so she'd be OK.with our forever home being a hangar home. Now, only God knows when and how this phase will end. I'd like to get my CFI so I can earn a few extra dollars, introduce new pilots to the sport, and use my teaching skills. I seem to be teaching my CFI about as much as he's teaching me. Of course, they say you can't teach what you don't know.

Thanks. That was the original plan,when Tammy was well, so she'd be OK.with our forever home being a hangar home. Now, only God knows when and how this phase will end. I'd like to get my CFI so I can earn a few extra dollars, introduce new pilots to the sport, and use my teaching skills. I seem to be teaching my CFI about as much as he's teaching me. Of course, they say you can't teach what you don't know.

As long as you don’t teach that blossoming-runway stuff that you preach to others but have never seen yourself.

I had my first flying lesson in 3 weeks yesterday. I flew a 1973 C-172M for 1.1 hours on a calm day. It was my first time in a Skyhawk in 15 years. The last Skyhawk I flew was a C-172 SP, with 180 HP. This one has 150.

Even though the plane is heavier, and a 4 vs. 2-seater, it flies faster than, and has a higher gross weight and useful load than the SportStar. I can't tell much about its stability in the air, because it was calm. The plane has more shoulder room than I remembered Skyhawks having. I have lost a lot of weight since then. The adjustable seats were nice, so I didn't have to worry about my legs cramping up from being bent too much.

The controls were heavier than the SportStar's; in fact, heavier than I remember, but after a few minutes, the difference in feel didn't make much difference. What was a big difference was the GPS.

The SportStar has a GNS 480, which has a screen that is barely visible in daylight. The Cessna has been upgraded to a GNS 430, with a much brighter screen. Frank says you can actually use the 430 to navigate in the Skyhawk, but the SportStar is pretty much pilotage and ded-reckoning (which are good skills to have). That difference is pretty close to convincing me to forgo the LS Pilot check-ride, as I have to be able to use the 480, but if I can't see the screen, how can I use it?

There was a hiccup in scheduling this weekend. I originally scheduled the 'M' for 2 hours, starting at 11, but there was a 160 HP C-172P available for 3 hours, also starting at 11, so I scheduled that one. About 9:30 my CFI called to say the 'P was down because the transponder was InOp, so I rescheduled back into the 'M for 2 hours, starting at noon. I guess I was meant to fly the 'M.

It did have a nose wheel shimmy. It wasn't a factor on takeoff but caught me unawares on landing. Next time a little more back pressure on the yoke, and more pressure on the brakes to compensate.

Tammy continues to improve. Thank you all for your prayers. She's either eating or sleeping all day, and she has a great appetite. I continue to pray that she remembers how to chew, and her throat enlarges enough for her to eat solid food. She is eating gelatin cups from a spoon, so that's a positive step.

Tammy gave me a scare Thursday and Friday, as she was having a hard time drinking plain water. It looked like she needed a thickener, which is a sign of deterioration. However, it turned out to be congestion as the house was too cold when she had her hair washed Thursday. She's back to normally drinking water now.

I flew a 1973 C-172M for 1.1 hours on a calm day. It was my first time in a Skyhawk in 15 years.
Coincidentally, I've been flying a 172M, too, but it's been a whole lot longer than 15 years since the last time. One thing I noticed right off the bat (and is a pet peeve of mine) is the elevator tends to "grab" right as you're trying to flare for landing. It's caused by friction where the control yokes slide in and out of the panel. I wiped down the tubes with spray furniture polish made with wax and silicones and slid them in and out until they ran as slick as a peeled onion. Now, ( :fcross: ) I never make a bad landing.

Coincidentally, I've been flying a 172M, too, but it's been a whole lot longer than 15 years since the last time. One thing I noticed right off the bat (and is a pet peeve of mine) is the elevator tends to "grab" right as you're trying to flare for landing. It's caused by friction where the control yokes slide in and out of the panel. I wiped down the tubes with spray furniture polish made with wax and silicones and slid them in and out until they ran as slick as a peeled onion. Now, ( :fcross: ) I never make a bad landing.
Thanks. I'd never heard that phrase before, just slicker than snot on a doorknob. If it sticks I'll pass tortillas to the FBO's maintenance department.

I use a silicone for bicycle chain, Tri-flow, Small squeeze bottle, did the same magic. Works great.

Back