Delta Airlines SkyMiles use questions

G-Man

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
AirmanG
Not General Aviation-related, but lots of folks here fly airlines a lot and generally know stuff, so...

My girlfriend and I are doing a trip using my Delta SkyMiles frequent flyer points. We booked it months ago so got a good deal and used very few miles. I have no status.

Now, she wants to change her return to a different city on a different date. Changing the existing tickets is ridiculous - more than double the original miles (which we don't have) and twice a new ticket.

It's cheaper to book a one-way home from the other city.

What happens if she flies there and then just 'no shows' for the return flight?
Yes, we'll lose the miles.
Are there penalties?
Do we get in trouble?
What happens to me and my frequent flier account?

Thanks.

Is it booked under one itinerary? You will have some explaining to do at the airport on the return leg. They could deny you boarding or make you buy a one way. A good sob story for the agent could help.

Is it booked under one itinerary? You will have some explaining to do at the airport on the return leg. They could deny you boarding or make you buy a one way. A good sob story for the agent could help.

How could they make them buy a one way when they would have already bought the one way when departing for the return flight?

Only GF is changing flight.

Are there penalties?
Do we get in trouble?
What happens to me and my frequent flier account?

Yes, there can be penalties. Most likely that penalty is a "mark in the black book" for a first offense. Once you accumulate three marks, you are banned from flying on Delta. I looked into this because I wanted to buy a ticket that was significantly cheaper and get off at the layover stop, but that isn't allowed either. I don't know if they would count it against you and your account or not.

While we're still in the world of covid, I'd use that as an excuse for no showing...and flying on a different date

You plan on returning on your ticket but your GF isn't going to and instead will fly on a one way ticket on a different day to someplace else? Also on Delta? If that's the scenario, I can't imaging that being an issue. I have 2 million plus miles on Delta and have been a Diamond or Platinum Medallion for two decades. Just make sure you don't check in both of you on the return accidentally. You can also cancel her ticket once you get to your destination and you may get some miles back (doubtful) but you have to be really careful you don't cancel yours if it's one reservation. Cancelling isn't necessary though. Where Delta will get ****ed is if you a) check in, check a bag and don't get on the plane (security issue) or 2) Buy a cheaper ticket to someplace with a connection vs. a ticket to the connecting city and don't take the connecting flight. Once in a while that's OK but do it a few times and bad things will happen. Also, as soon as you miss a connection or one of the legs of your flight, your entire reservation will cancel. So if you miss the outbound and show up for the return, you won't have a seat.

Yes, there can be penalties. Most likely that penalty is a "mark in the black book" for a first offense. Once you accumulate three marks, you are banned from flying on Delta. I looked into this because I wanted to buy a ticket that was significantly cheaper and get off at the layover stop, but that isn't allowed either. I don't know if they would count it against you and your account or not.

Different situations.

Getting off and not continuing is very bad in the airlines eyes.

Different situations.

Getting off and not continuing is very bad in the airlines eyes.

I know it's different. But when I was researching that scenario, the OP's scenario was also mentioned.

Typically if you book a two segment flight and miss one segment, the remaining segments are automatically cancelled.

Usually the flights still have “value” and can be rebooked to be used within a year with a fee paid.

If you miss the last segment on a flight booking, I doubt anything happens, you missed the flight, you could have been late or whatever, there should be some value there and you should be able to rebook it with a fee at the “current rates”. So your GF can miss the flight, book what she wants, and call customer service to rebook the missed flight at a future date. You could do this for your next trip 6-12 months down, instead of having to buy a last minute flight which is causing the high prices.

People act like you will get hung up and shot if you miss a flight because you have an intention of saving money taking another route. Kind of ridiculous. People miss flights all the time, in fact airlines bet on it and that’s why they oversell their flights then when too many people show up they offer you a voucher to take another flight.

Yes, for originating travel. Not an intermediate stop.

Yes, you might miss a flight, but you are in the terminal and will be asking to get on the next flight.

If you miss a connecting flight and just disappear, they will assume that you did so to pay less.

Happy ending here - looks like we're keeping the original flight plans. Many thanks to everyone for the info and advice.

Back