I just paid $700 for a tire change

To the OP, did you “respectfully” call him on this (overcharge)? If you no longer plan on using him, don’t mind burning down a bridge and and feel the need to alert others…Place a “comment” in the comment sections of ForeFlight and AirAv.

Bottom line is, why was the tire replaced for a simple flat? Was there something wrong with the tire? That should be communicated with the owner.

A gear swing with a tire replacement is prudent. Maybe with the same make, model, size tire you would be OK.

Does anyone here buy retreads for their aircraft? I think I've used them on the C206 in the past, on the theory that they don't build up heat the way car or truck tires do.

Just about every 135 company I flew for used retreads. They seemed to last longer, and put up with the abuse of packed snow and ice runways. Little rocks on the ice can slice up a frozen tire pretty quickly.

dbahn said:
Does anyone here buy retreads for their aircraft? I think I've used them on the C206 in the past, on the theory that they don't build up heat the way car or truck tires do.

Just about every 135 company I flew for used retreads. They seemed to last longer, and put up with the abuse of packed snow and ice runways. Little rocks on the ice can slice up a frozen tire pretty quickly.

I also commented earlier in this thread that I am running some retreads from Dresser. They call em monster and have over sized? 11/16" deep tread. They are a little heavy but do land better IMO and I can see how they would hold up to rocks pretty well.

Last edited:
It’s also waaaaay easier to screw it up and pinch a tube and have another flat later. At least get someone with experience to show you how to do it right.

On the other topic, I don’t believe splitting rims and replacing tubes fits the description “Changing a tire”
But it's actually trivial, if you've any mechanical ability at all.

Back