A bit of a step up…

CerroTorre

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
CerroTorre
I’m pretty excited to be kicking off 10 hours of instruction in a Cessna 185.

After a lot of years and a few hundred hours of flying smaller, less capable planes - typical trainers, and about 80-90 hours in small taildraggers (except a few times I got lucky enough for some T-6 time and some acro time in a Pitts) … it’ll be the most powerful, most capable plane I’ve flown in a while.

Anybody have comments on how a 185 flies for this 172 pilot? Ways it’ll bite ya? Things to keep a wary eye out for?

And yes, I’m aware my feet have been lulled into laziness by hours and hours of bumping around in a Skychicken … but hopefully it won’t take too long to wake them back up.

Make sure the lock button on the flap handle doesn't fall in and automatically retract the flaps for you. Most operators have put a stronger spring in there...

Try to fly it empty and as close to Max Gross as possible.

I flew them in the Alaskan bush and it is indeed very capable and fun to fly!

Anybody have comments on how a 185 flies for this 172 pilot? Ways it’ll bite ya? Things to keep a wary eye out for?
First off congrats. Second off, this airplane is a beast. I have 600 hours in mine and it continues to humble me routinely.

Do you have tailwheel time? If it's in light taildraggers most of your time won't translate. I have a friend with 1000 hours in a Husky that is struggling 30 hours into Skywagon flying, side by side and the power of the 185 are things to be keenly aware of. The landings will be bouncy, so you will want to do "tail-low" wheel landings.

Don't **** it up, the plane has a long rich history and you are a steward of it, none of this poor decision making to get planes wrecked. Also keep your skills up, until you have quadruple digit hours in it you need to fly it at least monthly to prevent rust.

Read this and treat it as your bible:
https://backcountrypilot.org/knowle...ge-base/aircraft/195-cowboys-guide-cessna-185

Have fun.
JF3_1293.jpg

Last edited:
If you live reasonably close, get some time with Leigh Smith at techflying.com.

Refuse to engage in three-point vs wheelie discussions.

Don’t let anyone convince you that you have to have this or that upgrade. Except maybe VGs, and that mostly for the elevator and rudder at low speed. My airplane spent its first 5000 hours hauling fishermen and hunters in Alberta. I figure if those Canadian kids that flew it didn’t need a STOL kit, neither do I. Things like extended baggage are a different story.

People lie about how much crosswind they can handle. Approach crosswinds carefully, but understand you’ll never get better without challenging and updating your “personal minimums.” Anyone who claims they’ve landed in a direct crosswind of 35G45 or some such is either lying or superhuman.

A GoPro mounted in a way that shows front and rear wheels will help you figure out what you’re doing wrong. I had one mounted on the tail spring, pointed forward for some time. It didn’t show the tailwheel, obviously, but you can tell when it’s down or up. I’d like to mount one in the cabin in a way that’ll show my hands and feet.

Two things it needs RIGHT NOW if it doesn’t have them: shoulder belts and an engine analyzer. These are both nonnegotiable.

Or, perhaps I’ve misunderstood and you haven’t bought one; you just happen to be flying one for 10 hours. If that’s the case, you’ll just be ruined for most everything else.

Back