Airlines making rentals virtually free for pilot training?

It doesn’t sound like a bad idea. I’ll guess they have a long waiting list

I would ask again if the time is beneficial or if it was a way to check a block.
Like any time-building, it probably depends more on the individual than anything else. There are those for whom it will be beneficial, and those for whom it won’t.

Amortizing out 1000hrs @$25/hr over 36 months is $694/mo. That’s the loan payment during your 3-yr training contract with Mesa. I’m guessing if you don’t stay with the company for the entire 3-years, there’s a healthy repayment trigger due within a very short time frame.

After student loans, flight training loans, this MOD loan, I’m guessing that’s not going to leave a lot leftover at the end of the month even if you’re crediting 1000hrs/yr at $100/hr. Debt service is on top of food, shelter and other expenses.

Maybe I’m weird, but I’ve never been able to justify paying a company for them to allow me to qualify for employment with that company. Seems like a strange model.

but I’ve never been able to justify paying a company for them to allow me to qualify for employment with that company. Seems like a strange model.

You know, you still have to pay income taxes when you work for the Federal government. :D

Maybe I’m weird, but I’ve never been able to justify paying a company for them to allow me to qualify for employment with that company. Seems like a strange model.
They’ve got to pay somebody, and a $25k loan is cheap compared to what a lot of pilots have done.

Amortizing out 1000hrs @$25/hr over 36 months is $694/mo. That’s the loan payment during your 3-yr training contract with Mesa. I’m guessing if you don’t stay with the company for the entire 3-years, there’s a healthy repayment trigger due within a very short time frame.

I'm sure an ATP making solid six-figures would be able to refi that loan through a personal note with a bank if needed to move on. Unless they've already finalized their first divorce.

They’ve got to pay somebody, and a $25k loan is cheap compared to what a lot of pilots have done.

With a CSEL these pilots should be paid to fly, not entering a 3-year pay for your own entry-level qualification contract. Especially in an industry where you’re one medical or furlough from being out of a job you just paid to get.

But people are going to do it.

With a CSEL these pilots should be paid to fly, not entering a 3-year pay for your own entry-level qualification contract. Especially in an industry where you’re one medical or furlough from being out of a job you just paid to get.

But people are going to do it.
I agree on both counts. Unfortunately the jobs that they can get apparently aren’t worth their time.

I agree on both counts. Unfortunately the jobs that they can get apparently aren’t worth their time.

0cbe2c93bc7cf32a6f195475f04dc8fc.jpg

None specific. I just know a colleague of min went to work for one after he retired from United.
That sounds like a terrible idea. I have a buddy that just retired. He’s trying hard to find a place to work. Crazy…

I love my job. I could retire today with fond memories. Unfortunately I need more money in the retirement.

Other than flight instructing, there simply are not enough CP flying jobs available for the demand for flight hours. The flight instructing gig also becomes a bit of pyramid scheme where each new CFI needs enough students coming in to support their job.

Back