Is the 182 the plane for me?

TXFlyyer

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
TXFlyyer
Greetings fellow aviators,

I’m starting to narrow down my plane choices and was hoping to get any input and any options I haven’t considered.

Im planning to spend about 80k. I know that in the current market this means a beater with a basic panel. Who knows I might get lucky and get something a little better, I’m not in a rush and am patient for the right one. I can do allot with a basic panel and ForeFlight.

Why the 182?

I plan to fly weekly just exploring airports and grass strips around me (Dallas area) most likely by myself or with one passenger. I will probably take a few 800nm trips with growing family. I like that I can fly with the window open and would love a cub but I need an all a rounder so I can take XC trips with family.

I did most of my PPL in a Cherokee and I like low wings but flying with the window open low and slow is just awesome.

Is there anything else that can compete for my needs?

It just seems like the safest bet for a first time plane owner in regards to support and parts availability.

More details about the size of your family (number and weight) would be useful.
182 is an amazing plane, but I dont think you can get any for 80k.

Perhaps I am reading your post too literally but:

In a 182, on the ground you'll wish both windows open in the summer but many models only the pilot side window does.

In a 182 during takeoff, it gets so loud you will have resist the temptation of distraction to get it closed, it is so loud.

In a 182 in cruise I just can't imagine how loud it would be (as in crazy loud), and although the window is designed to not smash into the bottom of the wing...it just feels like it would.

Plus when the window is open during takeoff there is so much wind and noise the vox of the mic will break feeding the wind noise thru the mic and back into your own headset (pilot side).

We love our old Skylane. Just don't find cruising with windows open to be all that useful.

For the occasional flight with family you could rent a 182. Also you should look at the current prices on the used market for 182s. For kicking around you might find a decent ,older 172.

Loved my 182....
If I was to look at a 182 or similar aircraft again, it'd be hard not to look closely at a Comanche...

An 80k 182 might be a tough find in today's market...

If you are getting something cheap (182 for 80k is cheap), might have some maintenance surprises very soon. Just wanting to have fun with windows open at grass strips, why not consider a Piper Cub or American Legend, those are fun to fly!

I wouldn’t necessarily get a 4 seater expecting to haul 4 pax, a 182 can do it, but you are pushing weight & balance on the regular. Not able to fly full fuel due to weight, etc. Increase your budget closer to 200k then you can find something good and taken care of, ready to fly.

I drop 10° of flaps down low and cruise with my window open sometimes. I’d save and budget at least $120k to get something decent.

I’m biased, but love my 182.
Regularly fly with my wife, two 75lb dogs and luggage galore. The useful load is a wonderful thing.
I am going to agree about open window ops. Back when I was flying 172s, I kept the windows open often. Now I almost never open the windows after departure. It’s loud and windy.

Now if you’re not regularly flying passengers, a smaller plane may be in your favor. Or something more fuel efficient. Have you looked at Grumman Tiger/Cheetah? A great 4pax that has fuel efficiency and a convertible top. Highly underrated plane. I used to love flying one during early training.

I just purchased a 182S. Anything that had an asking price less than $150,000 was going to require a bit of cost/down time to be reliable/airworthy. The market is a bit crazy so patience will be a tremendous virtue. The plane I purchased was selling about 100K less than my purchase price 4 years ago. Obviously I have issues with being patient. LOL

Perhaps I am reading your post too literally but:

In a 182, on the ground you'll wish both windows open in the summer but many models only the pilot side window does.

In a 182 during takeoff, it gets so loud you will have resist the temptation of distraction to get it closed, it is so loud.

In a 182 in cruise I just can't imagine how loud it would be (as in crazy loud), and although the window is designed to not smash into the bottom of the wing...it just feels like it would.

Plus when the window is open during takeoff there is so much wind and noise the vox of the mic will break feeding the wind noise thru the mic and back into your own headset (pilot side).

We love our old Skylane. Just don't find cruising with windows open to be all that useful.

Hmm I thought both windows open similar to a 150. I'd be OK with just one of them opening.

For the occasional flight with family you could rent a 182. Also you should look at the current prices on the used market for 182s. For kicking around you might find a decent ,older 172.

Yes, I'm hoping in a year or two the price of 182 will be lower. I can keep renting the 150 and occasionally the 172 in the meantime. The 172 I can take on multiday trips, but I just don't like the idea of putting that much $$$ into a rental.

Loved my 182....
If I was to look at a 182 or similar aircraft again, it'd be hard not to look closely at a Comanche...

An 80k 182 might be a tough find in today's market...

Yes Comanche seem real nice, especially the 260s. I just wonder if it'll be "too much plane" if I ride around solo or 1 pax most of the time.

If you are getting something cheap (182 for 80k is cheap), might have some maintenance surprises very soon. Just wanting to have fun with windows open at grass strips, why not consider a Piper Cub or American Legend, those are fun to fly!

I wouldn’t necessarily get a 4 seater expecting to haul 4 pax, a 182 can do it, but you are pushing weight & balance on the regular. Not able to fly full fuel due to weight, etc. Increase your budget closer to 200k then you can find something good and taken care of, ready to fly.

Yup I'd love a Cub but I want to take family trips with it. Plus I won't have access to hangar right away, probably a covered tie down. I don't know if I'd feel comfortable keeping a fabric plane somewhat in the elements.

I’m biased, but love my 182.
Regularly fly with my wife, two 75lb dogs and luggage galore. The useful load is a wonderful thing.
I am going to agree about open window ops. Back when I was flying 172s, I kept the windows open often. Now I almost never open the windows after departure. It’s loud and windy.

Now if you’re not regularly flying passengers, a smaller plane may be in your favor. Or something more fuel efficient. Have you looked at Grumman Tiger/Cheetah? A great 4pax that has fuel efficiency and a convertible top. Highly underrated plane. I used to love flying one during early training.

Is the 182 that much louder than a 150/172? I haven't flown in one yet, but I've been around quite a few of them.

I will take a look at the Grumman's. If I can fly with the canopy open that would be great. I would really like to be able to land on grass strips though.

I just purchased a 182S. Anything that had an asking price less than $150,000 was going to require a bit of cost/down time to be reliable/airworthy. The market is a bit crazy so patience will be a tremendous virtue. The plane I purchased was selling about 100K less than my purchase price 4 years ago. Obviously I have issues with being patient. LOL

Yup! I'm just biding my time and trying to learn as much as possible in the meantime.

I did my private in the Tiger.

Love that plane.

When I was looking to buy something recently, not a lot of them on the market. And I felt that the prices were a bit high.

A P/Q/R model C182 will have around 800 lbs payload with full fuel (good for 5+ hrs of flight time).

2 adults 2 kids, 550lbs
A P/Q/R model will serve your needs for many years. The window can be opened any time below 120 kts IAS. It will put a smile on your face looking down and taking pictures without the glass in the way.

…………

Yes Comanche seem real nice, especially the 260s. I just wonder if it'll be "too much plane" if I ride around solo or 1 pax most of the time.

……..

A Comanche 260 is a fabulous solo and +1 plane.

Shoot, most of us that own 6-place aircraft find ourselves solo with some frequency and few, I believe, would want to be flying anything other than our normal ride.

Love my 182...it is the F-150 of the General Aviation world...not sexy, not fast, but comfortable and does a lot of things really well and is a workhorse that is serviceable anywhere.

I opted for the 182 for cabin space and useful load and was willing to give up a few knots of speed for those priorities. While there are indeed times I wish I could go after when I do need the full space and payload of the 182 I am glad I have it.

The P and Q was the sweets spot for me and regular 250nm mission with 1-4 people.

Good luck though in this market with that $80k price point.

15 yrs in a 182P bought when my twin boys were <1, they’re 15, 180 lbs each, and I’m just now getting to the point I have to start thinking about the W&B. Long-range tanks, which is a lot of fuel - and flexibility. Was sure for a long time that we’d need something bigger, but the 182 still fits the mission, which is travel. As far as window open I do it occasionally - like someone else 10 degrees flaps and slow - but only for photos. It’s A LOT of noise.

My 182Q is the first plane I ever bought and I love it so much I plan on it being the last. When it's hot on the ground I do wish both windows could open, but mine has a Piper-style storm window on the co-pilot side that helps some. It's true what they say about them, they do lots of things well enough but aren't spectacular at one anything. Which describes me as well, so we're a perfect match!

I hate to say that I also don't think you're getting one for close to 80K, unless maybe in addition to beater with a basic panel it needs a new engine immediately. But I did also look at Tigers before the 182s and I probably would have bought one, but I just barely fit into it and couldn't see the top of the panel unless I scrunched down and tilted my head.

But I did also look at Tigers before the 182s and I probably would have bought one, but I just barely fit into it and couldn't see the top of the panel unless I scrunched down and tilted my head.
There's an aftermarket glare shield that fixes the Tiger's top of the panel view. Can't argue with the roominess of the 182, though.

I like mine. Depending on your age, there's a real advantage in having a straight leg but still capable airplane.

Hmm I thought both windows open similar to a 150. I'd be OK with just one of them opening.

That depends on the year. Many do have both windows that can open.

Is the 182 that much louder than a 150/172? I haven't flown in one yet, but I've been around quite a few of them.

Again, somewhat dependent on model and year, but yes the 182 in general is louder.

My 182Q is the first plane I ever bought and I love it so much I plan on it being the last. When it's hot on the ground I do wish both windows could open,

Now I'm confused. I see plenty of 182Q's that have both windows openable. Was it an aftermarket mod for some of them?

Hard to go wrong with a good 182. Agree the P/Q/R models are the sweet spot for them. Price and Demand is really the only downsides. There are very few airplanes that are a versatile as a 182.

the 250/260 commanche is also a great airplane, better cross country plane that the 182. Not near as good for grass strips.

An in between option might be a Cherokee 235. Maybe not quite as much in demand as the 182's. But not as many of them around either.

Brian

Now I'm confused. I see plenty of 182Q's that have both windows openable. Was it an aftermarket mod for some of them?
It was apparently a factory option. I looked into it a bit and it's also not an easy mod to do after the fact so I'll just be living with it.

unsure what “too much plane” means. Goes too fast, climbs too fast, can load it full of stuff, can sit beside someone comfortably. ;)

I’d guess 80-85% of my flying is alone, but I’m almost always traveling, not trying to think of somewhere to go.

about 950lbs with the Trolltune STC for those long trips with full fuel. Hard to beat that!

This is incorrect. It is in the range of about 810 to 830 lbs, depending on model year and equipment.

Our Q has an empty weight of about 1,840 #s. Stock MGTOW is 2,950, and we have 75 gal useable fuel. That is 660 lbs useable with full fuel. The Trolltune STC (which we have, we were one of the first to get it) gives the P and Q the same MGTOW as the R, 3,100 lbs, which brings us to 810 #s payload with full fuel. Note, you need to still land at 2,950 #s in the P, Q and R. The P models are a bit lighter than the Q and R, so they usually have another 20 lbs or so useable.

The only models that would have more useable are the relatively rare short-range tank versions (59 gal usable, I think), which would net you about another 100#s.

This is incorrect. It is in the range of about 810 to 830 lbs, depending on model year and equipment.

Our Q has an empty weight of about 1,840 #s. Stock MGTOW is 2,950, and we have 75 gal useable fuel. That is 660 lbs useable with full fuel. The Trolltune STC (which we have, we were one of the first to get it) gives the P and Q the same MGTOW as the R, 3,100 lbs, which brings us to 810 #s payload with full fuel. Note, you need to still land at 2,950 #s in the P, Q and R. The P models are a bit lighter than the Q and R, so they usually have another 20 lbs or so useable.

The only models that would have more useable are the relatively rare short-range tank versions (59 gal usable, I think), which would net you about another 100#s.

I stand corrected. Just pulled out WB and my TrollTune stc paperwork. Full fuel useful is just shy of 800. Which is honestly more than I’d be comfortable to carry. Especially on a hot Texas day.
When I plan, I still use FF WB and stay under 2950. I just like the option if the need shall ever arise.

Much as I adore Grumman Tigers, the OP’s mission includes grass strips and Texas heat. While the Tiger does allow good ventilation, it can be a bit of a runway hog in hot weather.

Anyone interested in a 182 should take a few minutes to consider a Cherokee 235/Dakota. The performance numbers are very similar to a 182 and the prices are generally lower.

I drop 10° of flaps down low and cruise with my window open sometimes. I’d save and budget at least $120k to get something decent.
Really? I think the window on our 182 would rip right off
I didn’t realize you can open it during flight

Really? I think the window on our 182 would rip right off
I didn’t realize you can open it during flight
I use a 182 as a photo plane. The reason I bought it is because I can open either window in flight. If you disconnect the arm that holds it up when open, it will float right below the wing.

Much as I adore Grumman Tigers, the OP’s mission includes grass strips and Texas heat. While the Tiger does allow good ventilation, it can be a bit of a runway hog in hot weather.

Could always put the MT electric constant speed prop. Add an IO-390 and you would have an AWESOME airplane.

It just seems like the safest bet for a first time plane owner in regards to support and parts availability.
The 182 is sort of the right plane for everyone, that's why it did so well and became so prolific. It's not perfect in any category, but it's pretty good in virtually all categories

I doubt you'd regret it

The 182 is sort of the right plane for everyone, that's why it did so well and became so prolific. It's not perfect in any category, but it's pretty good in virtually all categories

I doubt you'd regret it
I've flown a lot of 182s, but I've only owned one. It's a 1959 model. It follows the rule, if you can fit it inside, it will haul it. The problem is it can't do that legally. With me and another passenger, I have to pretty much load the baggage area full of the 120lb limit and if I had an extended baggage compartment, I could fill it too! Great plane though, pretty fast, pretty good load, pretty easy to fly, and pretty!

Back