Pelvic sling questions

A

Anoyn

A couple of years ago, I had some issues with severe rectal prolapse. My gastroenterologist was unable to resolve it and reffered me to a colorectal surgeon. The surgeon installed a pelvic sling via robotic rextopexy and I've had no issues since.

I just got my 3rd class medical and openly mentioned my sling on the form and when asked; he approved me regardless.

I know I'm good for straight and level flight and "normal" manuevers. However:
1. I'd like to get spin and upset attitude training as well as an intro to aerobatics, and
2. I let a coworker/friend convince me to jump out of a perfectly good airplane. (About a week from now.)

Neither of these two activities should result in me being exposed to more than 6g. While I'm fairly certain I'd be fine doing both with a sling, I'm not 100% certain. Can anyone confirm that?

Is 6G the limit on the device? Spins are low G maneuvers. Regardless of oem or after market sphincters, I’d advise limiting food intake prior to spins.

Is your cybernetic starfish only rated for 6 Gs? I think you'll be fine on both counts. I'd mention your limitations to your acro instructor though so he can limit the "watch this" maneuvers.

If I had any mesh in my abdomen, I would not be doing high G maneuvers. It not worth a complication risk for a few seconds of thrills.

Skydiving is not high G. Spins are not high G. Most aerobatics that you'll do on an intro flight are not high G. Just tell your instructor you don't want to exceed a couple G.

Now I know what my dad meant when he used to say “ boy, if you don’t do what I tell you I’m gonna put your ass in a sling”

If I had any mesh in my abdomen, I would not be doing high G maneuvers. It not worth a complication risk for a few seconds of thrills.
Certainly you can hit an extra G or two galloping up a stairway, or stepping off the curb. I'd hope that the sling could handle that.

its not a hernia he had repaired though

I looked at the procedure online against my better judgement and it appears to be attached to a few parts of the body. Seems to be in there pretty solid.

Easy solution. If positive G's cause a problem, just do some negative G's to put all back in place. In the end, it will all work out.

In all seriousness, as someone who used to do pelvic sling surgery for female incontinence, I’ll say that a bout of constipation almost certainly puts a lot more pressure on your repair than anything you’d survive in an airplane.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back