FAA required tests after unexplained Loss of Consciousness

neurological: transient ischemic event, microemboli, intracranial tumors, vagus nerve neuroma and many more
cardiac: atrial pause, pvc's, other arrhythmic events, sick sinus syndrome, low cardiac output and many more
medical: electrolyte imbalance, diabetes and many more

all of these will need to be ruled out, and a single doctor's visit will accomplish nothing.

Stress does bad things to us. Meds the docs hand out for us to manage it do bad things as well.

neurological: transient ischemic event, microemboli, intracranial tumors, vagus nerve neuroma and many more
cardiac: atrial pause, pvc's, other arrhythmic events, sick sinus syndrome, low cardiac output and many more
medical: electrolyte imbalance, diabetes and many more

all of these will need to be ruled out, and a single doctor's visit will accomplish nothing.
"Hey doc, I passed out."
"Why do you think you passed out?"
"My wife told me to take out the trash while I was watching the game, and I didn't hear her, so I must have been unconscious."
"That's not unconsciousness, that's inattention."
"But SGOTI said I need a bunch of tests."
"You don't need any tests."
"But SGOTI said I need a bunch of tests because I lost consciousness."
"You didn't lose consciousness."
"So when do I do the tests?"

"Hey doc, I passed out."
"My wife told me to take out the trash while I was watching the game, and I didn't hear her, so I must have been unconscious."
"I you want to fly, when the FAA says to do them!"

I am Anonymous10. I figure since I will eventually be reporting this to the FAA there's no reason to remain anonymous.

The syncope possibility makes a lot of sense and takes a load off my shoulders. Of course I'll be getting thoroughly checked out.
Syncope means your brain shuts down because there's not enough O2 in your blood, with no lasting damage. I think it was fortunate that the only part of my brain that shut down was the memory controller.
There's a lot of easily found information about syncope on the internet.
Oh so you have a diagnosis? Nope? Then you are guessing. I'm afraid you have opened up a can of worms...

That was my thought when I first read this. But zoning out is probably just as dangerous.
I would guess that the danger level would be determined by whether he remained able to respond appropriately to what was going on during the event. How that could be determined after the fact, I have no clue.

"Hey doc, I passed out."
"I you want to fly, when the FAA says to do them!"
Why would the FAA tell him to do any tests to explain a LOC that he didn't have?

If I post on POA that I think I have diabetes because my pee smells funny, and my doc later tells me that it's actually because I ate asparagus, do I have to report diabetes on my next medical and have my A1C tested?

There's nothing to report here but a visit to his PCP. Reason for visit: Acute dehydration.

I would guess that the danger level would be determined by whether he remained able to respond appropriately to what was going on during the event. How that could be determined after the fact, I have no clue.
Maybe he could ask the guy who was in the airplane with him at the time.

"Hey doc, I passed out."
"I you want to fly, when the FAA says to do them! But if you’re eligible for Basic Med, it’s between you and your doctor and the FAA isn’t involved. Lucky you!”

Some comments.
1) I thought I had an unexplained LOC, but if I was able to safely land the plane, I was not unconscious. So, check NO on the Unexplained LOC box.
2) If I was unconscious, it's explainable by dehydration. So, check No on the box.

My blood tests came back fine. I have a teenager's blood pressure, thanks to all the grass-fed beef I ate growing up, and minimal candy. Not to mention copious amounts of grueling physical labor.

I'd rather do Basic Med than 3rd class. My original 3rd class physical is on file with the FAA, circa 2001, so it's too early for Basic Med.
My more recent 3rd class physical is solely represented by the original copy of the original license. The FAA doesn't have it in their database. I have requested a copy of the physical, in case it's in their paper records and didn't make it into their database. I sent them a photocopy of the original, just in case.

When I filled out my IACRA form, I used the certificate number for my more recent physical, but someone there changed it to my original medical's certificate number.

When did the five-years-under-40 rule go into effect?

Narrow that “circa” down a bit. If it was after July 14, 2001 and if it was good for 5 years (I.e., you were under 40 at the time of issuance) you’d qualify for Basic Med on that medical, never mind your newer one.
Doesn't help me. I was well past 40 in 2001.

Will wonders never cease. One of the POAer's gave me the link to the FAA medical records request form. I filled it out and included a copy of my more recent 3rd class medical/student pilot certificate. I mailed it in early June. I wasn't expecting much, but today a large manilla envelope from the FAA came and it contained a copy of my April 30, 2007, 3rd class medical. This is going into our safe!

Now I can fly on Basic Med with no worries, and the results of my sleep apnea test a couple nights ago won't matter unless I get a commercial non-CFI gig.

Thanks to all who helped me with this quest.

This sounds quite possibly like dehydration to me.

My first thought.

Low blood pressure and low blood sugar were second and third.

And you have report UNEXPLAINED, so if you doctor has a reason and how to avoid it.....

But be SURE that it won't happen again. :)

Sort of like “Why did I come in this room?” episode that seems to happen to countless people.

Basic Med seems to be the easiest approach.

I'm not going to re-read all of this, but I'm pretty sure his doc and his CFI both confirmed there was no evidence any LOC actually happened.
That's true.

I had several landings the next Saturday that I'd rather forget, but one last Saturday I hope I always remember.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back