Tire and tube different manufacturer?

Johnvan

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
John
I just bought some Goodyear tubes because I got a good deal.

I am planning on buying a different brand of tire. When I look at the tires I’m interested in it will say “use with tube part #xyz”
Does it actually matter?

I plan on using my Goodyear 7.00-6 tubes with an Airtrac 7.00-6 tire.

I just bought some Goodyear tubes because I got a good deal.

I am planning on buying a different brand of tire. When I look at the tires I’m interested in it will say “use with tube part #xyz”
Does it actually matter?

I plan on using my Goodyear 7.00-6 tubes with an Airtrac 7.00-6 tire.
I would not feel comfortable putting older tubes in your new tires. How old are the tubes? IMO rubber has a expiration date.

From Goodyear

Tire and Tube Age Limit
Age is not an indicator of tire serviceability. Goodyear aircraft tires or tubes have no “expiration date” as long as all service criteria (Section 4 of this manual), visual criteria (Section 5), or individual customer-imposed restrictions are met.
It is recommended that tubes not be reused; they can grow as much as 25% in service. Reusing them can result in folded, pinched tubes which can fail or create an imbalance.

no expiration date does not mean or imply that they will last forever.... but stored properly I'd imagine they'd last a lot longer than 6 years

no expiration date does not mean or imply that they will last forever.... but stored properly I'd imagine they'd last a lot longer than 6 years

My current tires probably have a couple years of tread left but they’re 10 years old. They look great since they’re under wheel pants and the plane is hangared.
I figured I’d replace them anyways. 6 year old “new” tubes and a new set of tires should be better than what I currently have without breaking the bank.

in the motorhome world, it's generally "said" that tires should be replaced between 5 and 10 years depending on who you're talking to...regardless of miles, tread, or appearance.
In my limited experience it's not a bad rule of thumb in that application...heavily loaded and not usually driven enough to wear out. I had a blowout once on a set of Michelins that were in the 4-5 year old ballpark. tread still looked great but they did have some sidewall cracking supposedly within limits. Lots of tales from other folks having a tire failure, then a few miles down the road on their never before used spare they have another failure.

Anyway I would think an aircraft tire is a similar application...heavily loaded and not a lot of rolling miles, except the load is not constant like an RV....

I wish I could remember the details from a class I once attended on elastomers.... lots of info about storage conditions, temperature range, light, ozone exposure, humidity I think..., etc....

Sold by Comics and Electronics by xxxxx

Like the price. I always question where some of these flea market guys get their inventory, though. (They busted several around me for this)

The tubes come up next to the KY jelly, Pete's coffee K-cups, menthol pain meds, and 8,683 other Dollar Store-ish items. :confused:

https://www.ebay.com/str/comicsandelectronicsbydheader

In the motorcycle world, most of us ditch tires at the 5yr mark from the manufacture date on the side.

That’s seldom a problem for me, as I get only between 100 and 2,000 miles on a set! Haha.

There have been proposals for life timing car tires in the US and EU. Number of years have ranged from 6 to 10 years before requiring replacement.

Back