Two SS#s

CerroTorre

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
CerroTorre
Ok, hopefully someone can lower my current stress level.

Just went in to renew my 2nd Class. No issues whatsoever. They take
my paperwork and come back and say that somehow the system is showing two SS#s for my name in the system, and for some reason the FAA system isn’t letting them select the correct one. So I left with no renewed cert.

They’re going to have to call the FAA to problem solve.

Anyone else run into this before? What might have caused it? How did it resolve?

Am somewhat stressed since I have one short window to get my CPL done, and don't have time to battle with the FAA over a problem they seem to have created.

Maybe this is just some database hiccup. Can anyone ease my mind as I sit in the holding pattern? Thanks.

wow. sorry, can't ease your mind but while you wait you might log into your online SS account or call SS and make sure that account is somehow not affected. i'm thinking ID theft.

thanks rk911. Fingers crossed it goes away after they chat with the feds. Honestly I didnt even know I have an online SS account…so I might be a little behind the curve as it is.

QUOTE="CerroTorre, post: 3311622, member: 44347"]thanks rk911. Fingers crossed it goes away after they chat with the feds. Honestly I didnt even know I have an online SS account…so I might be a little behind the curve as it is.[/QUOTE]
you’ll have to register first on the website but it’d be good to determine if your SS acct is secure. good luck.

No. If you told the agency ever that you didn’t want your real SSN on your pilot cert, the assigned your 99x “fake” SSN. ONCE YOU’ve done that you have to decline to use you SSN every time, and it will auto fill the fake SSN.

If you told medical branch that, your fake SSN Is an 87x number.

FAA just started forcing AMEs to match. If you guy didn’t get the memo, it’s Uber confusing…..

May not ease your mind, but if it’s not fraud related (which seems doubtful given it’s for the same name), it may be related to a previous undetected error when the wrong ss# was entered. This happened to me on a state related tax form, when their system took the wrong number and the report went thru with ease. I contacted them and got it cleared up as soon as I noticed it. However, I’m leaning towards the previous posts explanation of it being a do-not-use ss# related issue.

Is this the first time you ever saw that specific wrong SS number? (Hopefully, it is the first time you've ever had any wrong SS number).

I think bbchien hit it. At least that’s my guess. I didn’t get much of an explanation, but after a few phone calls between the doc’s office and the FAA, things were resolved today.

I’ll keep that potential
issue in mind at my next medical and see if I can head it off before it causes confusion again.

Thanks all. Back to work on the CPL over here.

Am somewhat stressed since I have one short window to get my CPL done, and don't have time to battle with the FAA over a problem they seem to have created.
You don't need a second class medical to get your commercial certificate and your old one should be good as a third class for some time.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back