GoPro exterior camera mounting locations

What is your favorite exterior camera mounting location?

• Under the tail

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Over the tail

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Under the wing

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • On the wing strut

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • On the wing tip

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Other / I fly hot air balloons

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

machkhatib

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Mach
I made this video comparing three exterior camera placement locations (under the tail, over the tail, and under the wing) with my Piper Cherokee. I used the “MyPilotPro Swivel Airplane Mount” and a GoPro Hero 10 go take this footage:

Let’s hear your favorite mounting locations!

In my opinion, under the wing is the best all-around placement location for an unobstructed view, but they are all fun in their own way. If you want to watch your tires when you make a smooth-like-butter landing, mount your camera under the tail. Or if you want to see what your airplane looks like in third-person view, mount your camera over the tail.

The most interesting videos are made with multiple cameras, with some time spent during editing to switch around as appropriate.

I'm definitely an under wing guy when it comes to the exterior mount. That means a wing or strut tiedown mount (I answered "wing" but "strut" means the same thing to me. I find the tail mount boring to watch.

I've done a few.
camera angles.jpg
Top of the tail is my favorite. Least favorite is "Geezercam" on the lower right.

GoPro Hero 8, homemade mounts. Currently using Cyberlink Power Director for my video editing tool. Hardest part in stringing together videos is continuity; I dress differently based on the temperature. Some sometimes a smooth helmet, sometimes one with a headset, light jacket, heavy jacket, etc.
Ron Wanttaja

I think it depends on your flying. Formation, aerobatics, pattern work, reviewing the plane, reviewing avionics, IFR travel, and VFR travel all benefit from different angles.

Just don’t cut between angles for no reason at all. Especially when you’re on the ground just talking to the camera. Whatever media you are working with, use it to tell a story. And as far as story telling goes, no matter who you are, you aren’t Laurence Sterne.

I like under the tail looking forward, but that wouldn't be best for an entire video
totally depends on the application. on the wing looking at the cockpit is good too
I'm not a huge fan of the 360° cams either, because of the fish-eye effect but they certainly do serve a purpose. Just too much panning motion with them when folks are playing with their new toy.

Nice video - but I do wonder why the need for that music in the background? Sounds like one of the car shop reality TV shows that tries really hard to be bad ass.

I've done a few.
Of these, I like the under wing pointed off the front of the nose the best.

I’ve just been using an under tail mount, but only so I can evaluate landings sync’d with CloudAhoy.

I did accidentally wind up getting a pretty great shot of the Blue Angels though last month.

4ABECB3E-E772-4605-B3AA-0A8A1104B8F9.jpeg

I always liked the background in Discovery Channel Wings

In my high wing taildragger, I've learned a lot about what I do wrong on takeoffs and landings by mounting a GoPro on the tail spring. A 360 under the wing would probably be good for that, too. I'd like to mount something inside, with a view of my hands and feet, so I could see more of what I'm doing wrong. Or even if I should happen to do it right!

Watching other people's videos, presented for entertainment, I like multiple views (inside and out), multiple cuts, and not too much en route droning. No one is better at camera placement and editing than Trent Palmer and Matt Guthmiller, though I'd appreciate less talking from Trent and less en route from Matt. Matt's Atlantic crossing with Candourist is especially good, as is his trip to Russia. EAA videos are generally the best of all, with professional voiceovers and tight editing. If their pre-Oshkosh sizzle reels don't get your blood pumping, there's something wrong with you.

Interior shots that highlight the copilot's cleavage are cheap.

I finally designed a vertical stabilizer suction RAM mount that is strong enough and easy to remove for my Mooney 201.

I tried it out today and took a video using the Insta360 camera during our three-ship formation. I could turn on and off the camera using a Bluetooth remote control during flight. Today is very bumpy, but the mount held very well.

image.png.40aaa0c235eafe37a032cbd82940bd7b.png
image.png.e238e26db6081f0be1b301fe742c211e.png

image.png.d1d73ee47cc2bc0c3b90de15ec7afe38.png

The front cockpit windshield frame is my favorite mounting location for my Nanchang CJ-6. See the result below:
upload_2023-5-6_21-39-58.png

Last edited:
Back