Got Scammed on “Checkout” flight - Advice?

This reminds me of the time I did a checkout in a 182 for a new Rental outfit I was considering using shortly after getting my ticket. Their checkout pilot wasn't in instructor but was a Commercial pilot who had been flying PC-12s. So we go out flying and he has me landing at this tiny runway in the middle of nowhere and I'm long on the landing and initiate a go around. He offers to run through it for me. He mentions to remember to keep some power in for the 182 which I remembered from my training and my HP endorsement. 2 minutes later as he is approaching the touchdown point he pulls power. I just say "POWER POWER" and then we slam onto the runway. Thankfully no damage (at least not visible). He sheepishly looks at me and goes "I forgot this wasn't the Pilatus". He signed off on my checkout. And it took less than 2.3 hours. There I tied it back into the OP's original question.

I'm doing transition training for my flying club into a DA40NG. Between aircraft differences, avionics differences, and the turbo Diesel engine, I expect a slightly longer checkout for some. But I've been surprised...

...by pilots who have asked for much, much more. In one case, it's a fairly new pilot who sees an opportunity to build cross country and ATC communication skills. At the opposite end, it's an ATP/CFI who wants to feel completely comfortable with the equipment.

I'm doing transition training for my flying club into a DA40NG. Between aircraft differences, avionics differences, and the turbo Diesel engine, I expect a slightly longer checkout for some. But I've been surprised...

...by pilots who have asked for much, much more. In one case, it's a fairly new pilot who sees an opportunity to build cross country and ATC communication skills. At the opposite end, it's an ATP/CFI who wants to feel completely comfortable with the equipment.
Well like everything aviation it just depends.

Regarding your atp/cfi example some may not know but in the air carrier world after we get very thorough training in classroom and sim we get an addition 25 (most of the time) hours in the aircraft with a training captain.

As one of those air carrier guys if I’m getting checked out in a new multi engine aircraft with a glass panel and engines that are new to me… then yeah it’s going to be more than an hour or two with a cfi.

If I’m current in small classic GA ASEL and I show up at your flight school to rent a 172 so I can fly around a new area… in that case if the checkout is more than ~1 hour you need to pull your dick out of my butt.

This reminds me of the time I did a checkout in a 182 for a new Rental outfit I was considering using shortly after getting my ticket. Their checkout pilot wasn't in instructor but was a Commercial pilot who had been flying PC-12s. So we go out flying and he has me landing at this tiny runway in the middle of nowhere and I'm long on the landing and initiate a go around. He offers to run through it for me. He mentions to remember to keep some power in for the 182 which I remembered from my training and my HP endorsement. 2 minutes later as he is approaching the touchdown point he pulls power. I just say "POWER POWER" and then we slam onto the runway. Thankfully no damage (at least not visible). He sheepishly looks at me and goes "I forgot this wasn't the Pilatus". He signed off on my checkout. And it took less than 2.3 hours. There I tied it back into the OP's original question.

along the lines of thread drift (as well as alluding to a different thread)...

I was getting instruction in a cherokee 140, in the instructor's plane. We departed the field and the door popped open. We continued flying as the he tried (unsuccessfuly) to close the door. So we landed at a small field (tewmac). He took the controls for the landing... ok, it was his airplane. And he did an absolutely textbook carrier landing, quite firmly PLANTING the plane on the runway (talk about understatements).

I turned to him and said that I never ever landed that hard - not in his airplane, not in any airplane...

(we were friends, so he didn't take offense)

If I’m current in small classic GA ASEL and I show up at your flight school to rent a 172 so I can fly around a new area… in that case if the checkout is more than ~1 hour you need to pull your dick out of my butt.
For some, that would be a major improvement.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back