Cessna 172 Hard brake line material ??

Skip

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Monte92
My mechanic spotted a place on my Right main hard line that’s smashed. It’s been that way for a while. He suggested that we make a new one. He’s super busy, but said “order the line, we will bend it and be done with it. I’m tasked with ordering the line and whatever ferrules I need. I need to order it, but can’t find what the OD/ID is. Any old timers here know what I need to order for him? Thanks.

OP should realize that all 172s are not the same andv Diameter of tubing varies.
Open end wrenches are one way to measure outside diameter of tubing and / or
“ B- nut” size.

I am not sure what size line you need on your model 172.
I took a quick measurement on my 1980N 172 and came up with 3/16".
My brake line appears to have a plastic? coating on it for additional protection I am guessing? It would be next to impossible to splice it.
IMG_2272.JPG

3AN flare. The blue sleeve sticking out of the nut is part of the F flare fitting.
The fittings are re usable if they are in good shape. Use double flares most times on small steel tubing.
IMG_2273.JPG

Last edited:
what I need to order for him?
As mentioned above depends on what you have now as there were variances. But to throw some numbers out there for you, the rigid tube material is usually 3/16" or 1/4" 3003-O or 5052-O and the fittings provided they're all nuts, will be a AN 818 coupling nut with an AN 819 sleeve in either a -3D or -4D. Best to have your AP confirm.

OP may want to assure that the plan is to replace the line rather than splice it.

I am not sure what size line you need on your model 172.
I took a quick measurement my 1980N 172 and came up with 3/16". My brake line has a plastic coating on it for additional protection I am guessing?
IMG_2272.JPG

3AN flare. The blue sleeve sticking out of the nut is part of the F flare fitting.
The fittings are re usable if they are in good shape. Use double flares most times on small steel tubing.
IMG_2273.JPG
Thank you! What’s your hard line from the fuselage to the soft line OD?

Back