Driving an S-Tec 50 from an IFD440?

bcg-63M20C

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
bcg
I'm researching options to remove an old GPSS that's currently running my AP. It looks like the Avidyne IFD440 is compatible with the S-Tec 50, does that mean it will be able to drive it directly without a GPSS device? And will it be able to drive the AP via either GPS or VOR heading? If so, this would solve a lot of problems for me and really open up my options with the rest of the avionics.

I believe it can, but you wouldn't have the ability to set a heading with a bug. So you could follow a gps course, but not fly a heading.

I believe it can, but you wouldn't have the ability to set a heading with a bug. So you could follow a gps course, but not fly a heading.

Thank you. I don't currently have the ability to set a GPS heading bug. What I can do though is dial in a VOR radial and fly that heading as a substitute so, if the IFD 440 will run the AP off the VOR, I should still be able to use this as a workaround to the lack of a heading bug, correct?

I suppose…..If you’re heading to a vor. But usually you’re not.

The GPSS device needs to translate the IFD digital signals into an analog signal the STEC needs. Pretty sure it can't directly drive it without a GPSS module. I know for sure a GTN can't. Adding something like a Garmin GI 275 would drive the AP and take signals from the IFD. That would provide a heading bug and GPS option.

Give STEC a call. One of their techs at Oshkosh told me that the IFD could drive it directly. Might have been incorrect info though.

The GPSS device needs to translate the IFD digital signals into an analog signal the STEC needs. Pretty sure it can't directly drive it without a GPSS module. I know for sure a GTN can't. Adding something like a Garmin GI 275 would drive the AP and take signals from the IFD. That would provide a heading bug and GPS option.

I've been told it's possible to have the S-Tec controller modified to allow digital input and remove the T&B coordinator. I don't know if that's actually the case though.

I have the 540 and STEC 50, but also a G5. I think if I remember I needed the gad 29 to get gpss.

Sort of a concept salad going on here.

The S-Tec 50 can hold a course as set by the 440, but it will not do GPS Steering (GPSS) without a GPSS module (could be an S-Tec, or one of several others). You'd need to aim the plane in the right direction, then engage the nav tracking mode.

You are going to need a GPSS converter. My plane has a GI-275 that performs the conversion for my Stec55x.

Back