6Y9 2022 Fly in/Camp in

Jeannette and I were talking to the Frederick's, Diz and Brad, about how fantastic this fly-in was, and why. We had more new attendees that we could remember, and as Eren said, everyone was super nice. If I remember the count correctly there were 20 aircraft, two motor homes and three cars that made the trip to 6Y9 this year. We had more couples than we could remember, and this enhanced what is normally a male dominated event. Having more of the wives there allowed something other than aircraft to be the topic of discussion. Lets face it guys, sometimes we drive our spouses crazy with so much airplane chat. The Aurora Borealis made an appearance to the delight of everyone that was there, and the weather was almost perfect. OK, maybe a bit nippy for the tent dwellers!! Leslie and Grant put on a spectacular breakfast Sunday morning, and one couple sang us a blessing song after the meal which was much appreciated. I know some of you came from long distances to make the trek to 6Y9 and don't think that isn't noticed. We are also aware of the cost of the AVGAS, Diesel fuel and auto gas, you all purchased to make this trip. We are already thinking about next years event and looking forward to each of you returning, along with some of our regulars that could not make the trip this year. We are also looking forward to even more new folk. If you were new this year and enjoyed your self, reach out to others and let them know about the magical place that is Sidnaw Michigan.
A personal thank you from me to all of you that are so accepting of this old has been pilot and my wife into the group. I love both the old friends I have had for years and the new friends I have just made.
A big thank you to Brad, and Diz for continuing to host this event. Love you guys!!!!!

I am gratified to hear that @flyingcheesehead made it off safely. I've flown in @EdFred's Comanche, I ws impressed by both the aircraft and its pilot. Sadly my Mooney will never again grace 6Y9, once I address a couple squawks it is going up for sale.

Well said, Tim. I don't consider myself a regular since this is only my third time, and there was such a long gap in between my first and second visit. However I agree with everything you said about how nice of a group this was. Definitely lots more couples than I remember in years past, which was a good thing.

For those with kids, it's definitely nice to get a weekend away. That said, our kids really love coming, and they also love having other kids to play with. They had as good of a time as we did, and are looking forward to next year. Maintenance, schedule, and Fredericks willing, we hope to be there in the bus again.

I did. I couldn't figure out why she wouldn't come off the ground. When she didn't unstick I thought about aborting, but I didn't think I could get stopped at that point.

One of the most important things I learned when I did a mountain flying course applies at 6Y9 even though there aren't any mountains anywhere nearby: When you're going into a backcountry strip, scope everything out beforehand. Find "landmarks" halfway down the runway - Remember, you need 3/4 of your liftoff speed in half the distance - and also scope out the surroundings for places to land if something happens shortly after takeoff.

Also, in a place like 6Y9 that is obstructed and doesn't have a lot of good options around, you do essentially have a "V1" style decision to make - And remember that it's going to hurt a lot less if you hit the trees off the end of the runway at 0 AGL and 20 knots than if you hit them at 80 AGL and 80 knots, and put that into the pre-takeoff briefing you give yourself. (You do give yourself a pre-takeoff briefing, even if it's only mental, right?)

And yes, checklists are important - Even if they're not on paper. Some people hate mnemonics and other such memory aids, but they sure beat missing an important item.

Jeannette and I were talking to the Frederick's, Diz and Brad, about how fantastic this fly-in was, and why. We had more new attendees that we could remember, and as Eren said, everyone was super nice. If I remember the count correctly there were 20 aircraft, two motor homes and three cars that made the trip to 6Y9 this year. We had more couples than we could remember, and this enhanced what is normally a male dominated event. Having more of the wives there allowed something other than aircraft to be the topic of discussion. Lets face it guys, sometimes we drive our spouses crazy with so much airplane chat. The Aurora Borealis made an appearance to the delight of everyone that was there, and the weather was almost perfect. OK, maybe a bit nippy for the tent dwellers!! Leslie and Grant put on a spectacular breakfast Sunday morning, and one couple sang us a blessing song after the meal which was much appreciated. I know some of you came from long distances to make the trek to 6Y9 and don't think that isn't noticed. We are also aware of the cost of the AVGAS, Diesel fuel and auto gas, you all purchased to make this trip. We are already thinking about next years event and looking forward to each of you returning, along with some of our regulars that could not make the trip this year. We are also looking forward to even more new folk. If you were new this year and enjoyed your self, reach out to others and let them know about the magical place that is Sidnaw Michigan.
A personal thank you from me to all of you that are so accepting of this old has been pilot and my wife into the group. I love both the old friends I have had for years and the new friends I have just made.
A big thank you to Brad, and Diz for continuing to host this event. Love you guys!!!!!

Well said Tim. And frankly, having spouses enjoy themselves is very important, because it makes attendance much easier for the rest of us. Plus, it's fun to talk about other things besides airplanes. Sometimes. A little bit. ;) Some of the best times I've had at 6Y9 were when we started playing/singing music together.

And frankly, having spouses enjoy themselves is very important, because it makes attendance much easier for the rest of us. Plus, it's fun to talk about other things besides airplanes. Sometimes. A little bit. ;)
My wife & I were talking on the flight home and the day after about how this didn't feel like the other aviation groups we've briefly tried -- she noted that people were friendly and invited her to their conversations, plus having spouses around for non-flying chat, and a younger average demographic. Felt more about the people and experiences than about the airplanes. She won't go to the local type club gatherings anymore because getting the cold skeptical shoulder from the other guys wasn't a good impression.

I even heard the words "so when is the October fly-in they were talking about and how far away?" Win!

Gonna stay awake for the music next time, tho.

My wife & I were talking on the flight home and the day after about how this didn't feel like the other aviation groups we've briefly tried -- she noted that people were friendly and invited her to their conversations, plus having spouses around for non-flying chat, and a younger average demographic. Felt more about the people and experiences than about the airplanes. She won't go to the local type club gatherings anymore because getting the cold skeptical shoulder from the other guys wasn't a good impression.

I even heard the words "so when is the October fly-in they were talking about and how far away?" Win!

Gonna stay awake for the music next time, tho.

100% It's about the people.
I am bringing my wife and my teenagers to Gaston's this year.

My son (who helps with jambalaya night at OSH) wants to come next year to assist with breakfast. Not sure how to wake him up that early…

Well said Tim. And frankly, having spouses enjoy themselves is very important, because it makes attendance much easier for the rest of us. Plus, it's fun to talk about other things besides airplanes. Sometimes. A little bit. ;) Some of the best times I've had at 6Y9 were when we started playing/singing music together.

6Y9 is by far the most enjoyed fly-in for Rachel (my wife) (and me too, probably). You can still find airplane banter if that's what you want, but there so much more there (people-wise) than just airplanes. We haven't been up there since '09 (ARGH!!!), but it still holds a special spot for us with the friendships we made on our three trips there. The 'Freds have definitely created a culture of community with the 6Y9 fly-in. I almost think it should be called something other than a "Fly In" because it has so little to do with airplanes compared to the 'typical' fly-in. Now don't get me wrong - there are still airplanes... That's where I got my first (and only) ride in Greg's 192.5, helped push Tony's Decathlon to the gas pump on the highway, did a formation runway inspection pass with Red Leader, etc. etc., but there's as much non-airplane chatter as airplane chatter around the proverbial 'campfire'.

, did a formation runway inspection pass with Red Leader, etc. etc., but there's as much non-airplane chatter as airplane chatter around the proverbial 'campfire'.

I recall that fondly. We were all so much younger.

I almost think it should be called something other than a "Fly In" because it has so little to do with airplanes compared to the 'typical' fly-in.

And also there are a number of regulars who now show up by ground transport. Tim and I were the RVs present this year, and last year @German guy and @Skywalker brought their camper as well.

To me, that's part of what makes it so much better than Gaston's. Being able to camp right at the airport (whether in a camper or tent pitched next to your plane) is pretty magical.

Thanks to @Dizaster and @kaiser for getting my keys back to me. Took the family up for a Lakeshore tour and lunch at Schaumburg.
IMG_20220908_125024398.jpg

Planning ahead for next year, would getting in and out of 6Y9 be a problem for an F33 Bonanza? I don’t have a POH in front of me at the moment.
Not in my opinion. I was there in my J35 Bonanza and Spike came in his V35 and we both had no issue, both of us had pilot and one pax. When Spike left his pax, some bone headed YouTuber, opened the door to see if he would get sucked out and still he had plenty of room.

6Y9 is by far the most enjoyed fly-in for Rachel (my wife) (and me too, probably). You can still find airplane banter if that's what you want, but there so much more there (people-wise) than just airplanes. We haven't been up there since '09 (ARGH!!!), but it still holds a special spot for us with the friendships we made on our three trips there. The 'Freds have definitely created a culture of community with the 6Y9 fly-in. I almost think it should be called something other than a "Fly In" because it has so little to do with airplanes compared to the 'typical' fly-in. Now don't get me wrong - there are still airplanes... That's where I got my first (and only) ride in Greg's 192.5, helped push Tony's Decathlon to the gas pump on the highway, did a formation runway inspection pass with Red Leader, etc. etc., but there's as much non-airplane chatter as airplane chatter around the proverbial 'campfire'.
09' was the year we drank Hoppys out of Crown!

Actually he was. I rented an arrow he flew out from Philly commercial and rode up with me.

Crap, you’re right. I remembered the Arrow you rented, too.

I blame the Crown for my lack of that memory.

'09 was the inaugural (Mom, learn this word :D ) year for the Hoppy's ceiling tile. AdamZ was not in any photos in '09.

Crap, you’re right. I remembered the Arrow you rented, too.

I blame the Crown for my lack of that memory.

What year was the post-Hoppy's bottle pass around? That one is REALLY fuzzy to me. ;)

Whew... I can't do that stuff anymore!

What year was the post-Hoppy's bottle pass around? That one is REALLY fuzzy to me. ;)

Whew... I can't do that stuff anymore!
I recall burning a hole in the turf with a do-it-yourself campfire. The Fredericks were less than amused...

I recall burning a hole in the turf with a do-it-yourself campfire. The Fredericks were less than amused...

2009. It was the only year the member, that burned the turf hole, attended

I’m editing my next podcast, and there is definitely commentary about 6Y9 making it in. I really can’t thank everyone enough for the hospitality!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We'd noticed once you got off (and collectively sighed in relief) that you didn't have flaps.

Your takeoff was tight (which surprised me as I thought your takeoff last year seemed fine), but not as much as Kent's.

The new logo for the Ovation:

View attachment 110335

Kent:

I’m glad someone else has finally taken the groundhog nickname away from me after departing in the Trinidad years ago with AdamZ!

Kent:

I’m glad someone else has finally taken the groundhog nickname away from me after departing in the Trinidad years ago with AdamZ!
The difference is, when you broke ground your plane climbed like crazy. Kent probably has pine needle etchings on his belly!

Reactions: Ted
I’m editing my next podcast, and there is definitely commentary about 6Y9 making it in. I really can’t thank everyone enough for the hospitality!

Be sure to post a link for us to follow

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Be sure to post a link for us to follow

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

As requested… here is the link to the latest episode of my podcast. I talk about 6Y9 early on, I hope I didn’t botch any names!!! (I might have pronounced a YouTubers name with an I and not a Y. We also end each episode with bloopers too, and 6y9 makes an appearance in there.

After the 6Y9 bits, stick around for our interview with Airshow performer Kyle Franklin. Great guy to talk to with some fascinating stories.

https://anchor.fm/flyingmidwest-podcast/episodes/Episode-19-Aerial-Acts--with-Kyle-Franklin-e1nmteq

I hope all had a good time. I think about trying to go, usually family issues bump it down the list. I only have so much power with the work schedule.

Just after the fly-in I was up in the Central U.P. with a family visit. I also lightly assist a relative that guides a few bear hunters. This year he ended up overbooked, 3 hunters early. 2 more coming this week. Of the 3 1st season hunters, 2 bears down, one ‘clean miss’. Yes it’s all legal & regulated, nothing goes to waste. We even have a lady that is ecstatic to get fat to render.

Some are asking, WTF??F96C8D27-E231-4F59-AE8D-918AD9D5981B.jpeg

As requested… here is the link to the latest episode of my podcast. I talk about 6Y9 early on, I hope I didn’t botch any names!!! (I might have pronounced a YouTubers name with an I and not a Y. We also end each episode with bloopers too, and 6y9 makes an appearance in there.

After the 6Y9 bits, stick around for our interview with Airshow performer Kyle Franklin. Great guy to talk to with some fascinating stories.

https://anchor.fm/flyingmidwest-podcast/episodes/Episode-19-Aerial-Acts--with-Kyle-Franklin-e1nmteq

Just caught up and I really enjoyed this!

Back