Wifi electrical switch for hangar is controllable from home?

Narwhal

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
?
I am looking to be able to turn on my engine pre-heater from the house.

I have a handheld wifi hotspot that has no monthly fee, just a pay as you go dataplan. I'd like to use that wifi hotspot to switch the pre-heater at the hangar on/off from my house, which is a few miles away on a seperate wifi network. Is there a product that allows this?

The products I've thus far seen for this seem to force you to buy a separate sim card/data service which I'm not keen on, trying to avoid yet another monthly subscription. The hotspot I have doesn't have a removable sim card. The hotspot is a Poke-Fi from Hong Kong that gets really cell reception though, not sure which network it uses but I'm guessing AT&T.

Just get a power device (smart switch or similar) that uses Google Home. Then you can use the Google Home app on your phone to see and change the status of the switch regardless of whether or not you yourself are on that wifi at the time.

It's what people use when they're on vacation to turn lights, HVAC on and off, etc

WEMO has a variety of WIFI switches. I have a WIFI hotspot in my hangar (too far to piggy-back on someone else's WIFI) and I control the engine pre-heater, cabin heater and hangar lights with the WEMO devices from a WIFI or cell service if your phone is not connected to a WIFI server. These devices let you see status as mentioned above.

We have (2) of these, each having 2 outlets. The best part is the show live voltage, current, power draw which helps to know the tannis is drawing its 400watts and the Concorde tender is actually plugged in and charging:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07JB5TQSG?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

Edit: these are wifi to a Verizon Hotspot. Had another brand that lasted 2 years, these are on 3yrs and still going.

Back