6Y9 2022 Fly in/Camp in

Agree on all said above but well worth repeating my thanks to the Frederick’s, Prellwitz’s and Meyers’s (I blame autocorrect for any spelling errors). You were all spectacular hosts/co-hosts that my only misgiving is that I left too soon. Looking forward to when we can get there next time!

You'll need to gear the engines. Those bad boys don't go higher than 1800 rpm.

The transmission will get interesting. The Allison 9000 is only rated up to 2600 HP.

"Thinking about breaking the sound barrier... with a bus"

Many things in life happen, if you are brave enough.

The transmission will get interesting. The Allison 9000 is only rated up to 2600 HP.

"Thinking about breaking the sound barrier... with a bus"
I'm not even going to mention how heavy those things are. You should see them cast the engine blocks. It's pretty cool.

The Prellwitzes, Myers, and Fredericks are such welcoming & giving people, that it's hard for the rest of us to screw it up.

Have you run the calculation of how much horsepower that's going to take?
It's nice to be named in something other than a law suit, just sayin Bryan

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

If course, I am just bantering with Bryan, my serious state of the fly in will come in the next couple days when I can type it someplace other then my phone

We talked to those guys at Land o' Lakes before they flew up (and we flew to Three Lakes for dinner). That's a different kind of flying! I was impressed that they were on the radio on CTAF when EdFred and I flew in. Kudos for that.

Glad to see no one playing because you know

View attachment 110198

Ted was playing with his son Robert. I'm sure he'll turn out fine anyway. :rofl:

You could ride with Eric, or land at Land of Lakes, someone will make arrangements to pick you and your gear up.

You should never, ever, speak those last two words on a pilot forum! :p

It was a really great day trip for us - The only bad thing about it was that we couldn't stay longer. I wish I'd thrown a change of clothes for us all in the baggage compartment anyway, I'm sure we could have snuck into the back bedroom of @SixPapaCharlie's lodgings unnoticed! (We stayed there the first year it was open... Way more room and beds than we needed!)

I wish we could have stuck around and chatted with everyone more, seen the auroras, and done some ATVing. Grayson had a great time with @Ted and Laurie's kids and cried a lot when we had to leave.

Also, after nearly 20 years of flying I don't have a whole lot of firsts any more, but I did have one on the way in to 6Y9: My first ever Cruise clearance. ZMP gave @masloki one and he cancelled immediately thereafter, but I was gonna savor it a bit! As soon as he cancelled, I got a cruise clearance into 6Y9, and kept it past TOD, cancelling when we started to get to the lower edge of radio coverage. Kinda cool!

Alas, this was probably the first and last trip for the Mooney, with the slight possibility of an exception for a future day trip for just me. @steingar, @masloki and @German guy will have to be the Mooney representatives to 6Y9... I had posted several pages ago in this thread about the lack of much of a safety margin when departing, so after we got there I went up by myself to see if I was being too big of a chicken.

Long story short... I was not. I climbed out within a wingspan or so of the trees on the east end at Vx-5. It was... Uncomfortable. My wife, watching from the ground, said it looked scary. EdFred flying overhead said it looked scary. So, we exercised the Land o' Lakes option and I entrusted Ed with my most precious people. Kelsey said he's only the fourth GA pilot she's flown with - Her grandfather, me, my partner in the Mooney (I was still in the right seat tho), and Ed. They had only good things to say about the mighty Comanche, and after a bit of formation on the way down there, I was impressed too. Unlike most other aircraft types, I really can't run away from the Comanche. It performs admirably, and having flown it, I know it has a nice comfy cabin and obviously better runway performance than the Mooney. Kinda made me want a Twin Comanche again.

At the end of the day, everyone had fun and that bodes well for all of us to make another long visit next year, though it'll probably be by car... The car's rotation speed is high, but the runway is sufficiently long. :rofl:

They had only good things to say about the mighty Comanche, and after a bit of formation on the way down there, I was impressed too. Unlike most other aircraft types, I really can't run away from the Comanche.

I wasn't sure what to expect when departing. I did not imagine I would be up as fast as I was. Departing 28, I was 20 feet up before the end of the treeline on the south side. Density altitude minus a billion probably didn't hurt though.

Planning ahead for next year, would getting in and out of 6Y9 be a problem for an F33 Bonanza? I don’t have a POH in front of me at the moment.

Planning ahead for next year, would getting in and out of 6Y9 be a problem for an F33 Bonanza? I don’t have a POH in front of me at the moment.

might be a little tight with me and RDUPilot on board. besides I'm confident your landing at LNL would be smooth as butter.......there ya go,......I said it........I made a butter joke.....smooooth as butter........

I’m going to practice some short field take offs and landings to get ready for next year. Photos look awesome!

I know they have had a v tail in there and Spike flew in a few years ago, I think the 33 would do fine, but as always check the POH

I wasn't sure what to expect when departing. I did not imagine I would be up as fast as I was. Departing 28, I was 20 feet up before the end of the treeline on the south side. Density altitude minus a billion probably didn't hurt though.
I think you were off the ground around the 800 ft mark, very similar to what my Arrow was able to do.

Long story short... I was not. I climbed out within a wingspan or so of the trees on the east end at Vx-5. It was... Uncomfortable. My wife, watching from the ground, said it looked scary. EdFred flying overhead said it looked scary.
You should have seen @Jim K 's take off!!

@kaiser I have a video of your takeoff as well, when I get it dumped into Dropbox, I will send you a link

Any chance anyone got my departure (edit: on video)? (Landing you can burn).

I ran into Jim at KLNL after his departure. Yeah….

Last edited:
Bryan, you definitely got off earlier than you and I did in the Bo a few years back, but we were a bit heavy, too, since we hadn't burned all the "fly folks around for fun" fuel we had expected. It was still OK in the Bo, though.

But you never do poorly in a PA24.

I was honestly creeping up on my abort point, the wind was shifty and we figured may have even given you a bit of a tail wind there [mention]Jim K [/mention]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any chance anyone got my departure? (Landing you can burn).

I ran into Jim at KLNL after his departure. Yeah….

I did not take one, but did witness it and it was pretty much a textbook take off, we won't discuss the landing, LOL

There is a pretty feisty solar storm going on right now, so the aurora should be entertaining!

I was still shaking when I landed at LNL.

I forgot the flaps.

Checklists are important, kids.

We'd noticed once you got off (and collectively sighed in relief) that you didn't have flaps.

Your takeoff was tight (which surprised me as I thought your takeoff last year seemed fine), but not as much as Kent's.

The new logo for the Ovation:

Screen Shot 2022-09-06 at 8.17.35 PM.png

How is your better half?
She didn't take it as bad as I did, but then she didn't almost kill us. She's very trusting of me, which is apparently somewhat misplaced.
did you try to rotate/climb at short field speeds
I did. I couldn't figure out why she wouldn't come off the ground. When she didn't unstick I thought about aborting, but I didn't think I could get stopped at that point.

I always do a takeoff brief and checklist when I'm departing my 8000' concrete no-obstruction home drome. Why didn't I do it when I knew it was going to matter? Best guess is I knew I was being watched and got in a hurry. I did mentally go over the speeds, which I had worked out at a local 2600' strip a couple days before. Just didn't reach down and pull the lever. I would've caught it if I had used the checklist.

… When she didn't unstick I thought about aborting, but I didn't think I could get stopped at that point...

I hate that point. Y’all lived, so chock it up to experience now.

So, besides Al Mooney being 6’5”, you know the Comanche and Mooney have the same wing?

Back