Socata TB-9 Tampicos

Todd82

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Todd
Anyone got one? Has anyone flown one? How bad are parts for the foreign airframe even though it's a Lycoming engine? Any pirep's appreciated.

I would head over to socata.org for best answers, however...

1. They are extremely comfortable but underpowered. If time building, who cares?
2. The factory still supports the models. So parts aren't an issue to obtain.

Some of these were used and abused by flight schools, so be warned of high time models and get a knowledgeable prebuy. Honestly, I'd point you towards the TB-10 or the rarer still, TB-200 (TB-10 w/ 200hp) for a fixed geared variety.

I don’t have any experience with the newer “TB” series airplanes but Socata has been helpful with both parts and information concerning the old Rallyes. I think they’re easier to deal with than some US built aircraft.

Some mechanics might not want to work on them because they’re different, and use metric hardware. It might be best to run the idea past your preferred maintenance provider before going too far.

I had one (TB9) for about 4 years.
Zero issues getting parts.

They are slow and don't carry much but they are tough as nails and have 2 doors which is rare for a low wing.
Visibility over the nose is not great but everywhere else, it is better than most planes.
The plane is wide and so not all that tall. This means they have permanently added a slight recline to the back seat so tall people don't hit their heads. I never liked that because I prefer to sit up straight.

I was rarely in the back but when I was, I felt like I had to lean forward to sit the way I want.
VERY ergonomic. Everything is laid out where your hands naturally rest so there is not a lot of reaching.

They make great trainers and they are weird looking so they are quite the conversation starter on the ramp.

I would take it over any Piper or Cessna in its class. It is just far more comfortable and better laid out.
Good plane.

I have about 20 hours in a TB-9 from over 15 years ago.. It's a solid airplane, pretty slow but stable and easy to fly and very, very comfortable. I remember thinking that the cockpit was looking like a car more than an airplane. It must be very easy to land too, because some of my best poor weather landings were made in a Tampico. I also have about 50 hours in a Morane Saulnier Rallye from before the company changed name to Socata. The Rallye was even slower than the Tampico, and the entire leading edge of the wings had slats that were opening at slow speeds. So slow, that the stall speed was 49 mph and cruise 109 mph. The Rallye remains by far the easiest plane I have ever flown, and both the Rallye and the Tampico made me a Socata fan. I would not hesitate to buy one, provided that speed was not a necessity.

Thanks for all the input.

I'm also looking at things like Cherokees and Musketeers so the speed is on par. The two doors were the big draw for me.

I believe in the Tampa area at PIE airport there is a place that rents all 3 (TB-9, TB-10, and TB-20) I do not know anything about this place but see the planes flying around from time to time. I think it is rather rare to see a business rent these models as most places do the standard cessna and piper models

Thanks for all the input.

I'm also looking at things like Cherokees and Musketeers so the speed is on par. The two doors were the big draw for me.
Bonanza’s don’t have two doors and no one seems to care. :dunno:

Anyone got one? Has anyone flown one? How bad are parts for the foreign airframe even though it's a Lycoming engine? Any pirep's appreciated.

Did my instrument rating in a TB9. Used to joke with the owner/CFI that it rotated, cruised and stalled at the same speed. :) It was an ER graduate with lots of time on it. As mentioned it does have doors on both sides and the control layout is more intuitive than in the C172 or a Piper. The trim sits on top of the console in a position that allows the pilot to input small adjustments while maintaining contact with the throttle. I got the IR in a TB9 that had a 430W and HSI with no autopilot. One summer day my CFI and I climbed to about 11.5K and noted that a 1 degree increase in pitch at that altitude resulted in a stall warning ! Good times and a great training platform. At one point someone said there were only 7 throttle cables remaining for this model. But I have no conformation of that and the owner never complained of not having parts available. That was in 2008 and FA indicates the aircraft was still flying in Aug 2022.

Last edited:
Used to joke with the owner/CFI that it rotated, cruised and stalled at the same speed. :)
So it's an Ercoupe? :eek:

Thanks for the input/experience.

Bonanza’s don’t have two doors and no one seems to care. :dunno:
At risk of being banned from POA for heresy, I think Bo's are overrated/priced for what they are, in my personal opinion.

So it's an Ercoupe? :eek:

Thanks for the input/experience.

At risk of being banned from POA for heresy, I think Bo's are overrated/priced for what they are, in my personal opinion.
I am not sure how to respond to that, except that is just crazy talk.

Back