Why chock the wheels when in a hangar?

kicktireslightfires

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
kicktireslightfires
If a plane is inside a hangar and on level ground, what’s the point of chocking the wheels? How could it possibly start moving on its own unless there was an earthquake?

If a plane is inside a hangar and on level ground, what’s the point of chocking the wheels? How could it possibly start moving on its own unless there was an earthquake?
Most hangar floors aren't level...if they were, water could collect on them. And I live in an area with occasional earthquakes. If the plane rolls forward and presses its snout against the hangar door, one might damage the spinner when unknowingly opening the door.

I only chock one wheel when in the hangar. Mine are made out of 2x4s, and I can kick them away or kick them back without having to bend over.
chock.JPG
Ron Wanttaja

I am a peasant whom has never had a hangar, but the clubs I flew with used the chocks as much for positioning as storage. The chocks never moved and it was just a matter of backing up the plane to the chocks when returning it to the hangar.

Uneven hangar floor, flat spot on a wheel, people leaning on the wing...I've seen them move before. My hangar is tight, so I chock the front wheel, to avoid hangar rash.

It is a good question, the first couple years I did not chock my plane very often. I rent a good sized hangar and have enough room to be safe without hitting anything on the way in. It didn't bother me if the plane was sitting a little different each time unlike my buddy next door that lines up his plane exactly the same every time. We kid him as we watch him fuss with it. He even has a plumb bob he hangs from the rear of his plane to get it perfectly lined up. I don't have that much patience.

Then I put a 4 post auto lift in the back of my hangar because I needed to move it out of my other shop. It only gives me 14" of clearance behind my plane. So I got the duct tape out and marked the floor where my wheel chocks need to be. I feel better now with it chocked and since the front of the plane is a little closer to the door now.
IMG_1790.JPG

IMG_1791.JPG

Last edited:
Hangar rash is a thing and chocks are a wise tool. You also don’t know if some significant wind might damage but not destroy the hangar. I’d rather the plane wasn’t free to move on it’s own. /_\

If I were to chock in the hangar (I'm in the chockless camp, by the way) it would only be one wheel... we have to be inside the hangar to put the door up, and it's a bi-fold, so even if the plane did roll forward it wouldn't hurt anything.

My hangar does get inspected from time to time (in other words, airport facility can access the hangar) who may lean or brush up against the plane. I also have vehicles in the hangar (parked close) so don't want the plane moving into the car and denting a wing or damaging the prop. And I do live in earthquake country. Thus, I chock my plane when in the hangar (nose gear)

...How could it possibly start moving on its own unless there was an earthquake?
Yep, many of us do live in seismically active zones. If I'm going to attach a bookcase to the wall in case of earthquake, I'm damned sure going to chock my aircraft wheels in the hangar.

Loose chocks which is what the OP I think is talking about.
Wheel stops which are permanently placed are a separate subject.

I notice those who chock wheels in a t-hangar also put cowl plugs, pitot sock on and lock the plane. These folks typically wear both belts and suspenders.

I notice those who chock wheels in a t-hangar also put cowl plugs, pitot sock on and lock the plane. These folks typically wear both belts and suspenders.

Or, maybe, we have gaps in the hanger that allow birds and mud daubers in.

:yeahthat:. Also:
I chock both wheels in the hanger. I also put the cowl plug in, the pitot cover on, close the door and window, do a post flight inspection, and write down the number on the fuel timer and tach after every flight.
Paranoia strikes deep. Into your life it will creep.
FWIW, that’s pretty good advice.:yesnod:

Got a friend with a beautiful airplane that was cleaning it up to take to a fly-in. The wing walk needed replacing and he had the new stuff on hand. As he began peeling the old wing walk off of the wing it took a great deal of force. All the while, as he was struggling, the plane started moving backwards ever so slowly.

It stopped when the rudder hit a crossbeam on the backwall of the hangar and left a neat little ding in the trailing edge. He was heartsick.

I've caught myself stepping up on the wing and if the plane isn't chocked it can slightly move. I chock mine in the hangar and put on the covers for the pitot, LRI, and fuel tank vent.

94BEFD9B-3734-4E8E-B2EF-5985EDF496FB.jpeg Out of habit developed at the flight school I went to, as soon I get out of the plane the cowl plugs and pitot cover goes on. Does not matter if it is a 95° summer day or a freezing cold winter day the cowl plugs are going in.

We get a letter from the airport manger every month in the mail keeping us up on what is going on at the airport. Each spring he warns us to plug our cowls as the birds can nest very fast. He also asks us to close the hangars doors when we go flying to help keep the birds out of the hangars.

Sometimes I don't wear a belt or use suspenders...lol

I do log every flight.

Last edited:
The REAL reason........

Wouldn't you feel really stupid coming on this forum and reporting that you damaged your airplane because you did not chock it in the hangar??

:D

Why not chock it in the hangar? It takes maybe 30 seconds to do and could save you from a whole host of stupid situations that could damage your aircraft.

Handle everything related to your aircraft like a professional: Record keeping, maintenance, and yes even the little things like ALWAYS chocking it, even in the hangar.

I haven't chocked any of the planes I've had in the three different hangars over the past 18 years. None of them ever moved.

I've never chocked in my hangar, but my hangar is 70x120, and only has 3 planes plus a motorhome and boat in it, so nothing ever needs to get close to anything else. Flat, level concrete floor, and pretty low earthquake danger here in MN.

I chock the nose wheel only in the hangar. I only put the pitot cover and cowl plugs if parked outside.

I chock the nose wheel only in the hangar. I only put the pitot cover and cowl plugs if parked outside.

I chock the nose wheel and put on pitot and fuel vent covers.

I don’t have to worry about birds so don’t put in cowl plugs but insects are a different story.

Off topic a little...
How many folks leave their tug or tow bar attached to your plane while in the hangar?

After reading online about remote controlled tugs being affected from RF interference while no one is in the hangar greatly concerned me.

So for me I don't ever leave my tug attached to the plane without me touching it. It would be very easy to taxi into it. And being electric even though it is NOT remote controlled, I don't totally trust it. It could short out or? when I am not around. So I keep it away from the plane.

How do you do it?

Off topic a little...
How many folks leave their tug or tow bar attached to your plane while in the hangar?

After reading online about remote controlled tugs being affected from RF interference while no one is in the hangar greatly concerned me.

So for me I don't ever leave my tug attached to the plane without me touching it. It would be very easy to taxi into it. And being electric even though it is NOT remote controlled, I don't totally trust it. It could short out or? when I am not around. So I keep it away from the plane.

How do you do it?

We never leave it attached except when actually using it.

Back