S-TEK 50

B. Kelly Kelner

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
B. Kelner
On off button quit working & Altitude hold button quit working. Is there an easy repair? Auto pilot works great! Those 2 buttons are stuck. Avionics shop said I need a new power head controller? What other options are there? If any?

S-Tec can likely repair it for you if you send them the controller.

They can, and they do. Removing the control head is the work of minutes, and S-Tec is usually pretty responsive.

S-Tec can likely repair it for you if you send them the controller.

They have 2 repair categories: minor (~$700)and major(~$1800)…those prices are about 5 years ago when I had mine done.
Another option would be to pickup a used controller:
eBay has one listed for $1250 and full systems(controller and servos) for $2000. If you get another controller, you’ll have to open both up and configure the newer one like the other. Check with your avionics shop, the configuration is set using resisters plugged into the motherboard.
If you choose the 2nd option, I just started an upgrade and will have one available (14v) in about week or so for less than eBay prices, PM me if interested.
P.S. it’s S-TEC, searching S-TEK is another company.

Last edited:
I just had this same problem a few months ago. There is a membrane behind the buttons that deteriorates which causes the buttons to not work. My avionics shop said it fell apart like a cracker when opened up.
They sent it to S-Tec for repair since only they can do it. The cost was $1000 and turn around time was about 2-3 weeks including international (Canada-USA) shipping.

I just had this same problem a few months ago. There is a membrane behind the buttons that deteriorates which causes the buttons to not work. My avionics shop said it fell apart like a cracker when opened up.
They sent it to S-Tec for repair since only they can do it. The cost was $1000 and turn around time was about 2-3 weeks including international (Canada-USA) shipping.
Thank you so much! That sounds so much simpler than buying another one.

They have 2 repair categories: minor (~$700)and major(~$1800)…those prices are about 5 years ago when I had mine done.
Another option would be to pickup a used controller:
eBay has one listed for $1250 and full systems(controller and servos) for $2000. If you get another controller, you’ll have to open both up and configure the newer one like the other. Check with your avionics shop, the configuration is set using resisters plugged into the motherboard.
If you choose the 2nd option, I just started an upgrade and will have one available (14v) in about week or so for less than eBay prices, PM me if interested.
P.S. it’s S-TEC, searching S-TEK is another company.
Thanks so much for the response.

Back