RGBeard's Dad, Russ.

Rgbeard

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
rgbeard
This morning, Alzheimers claimed yet another one.

My Dad was quite the accomplished individual, and the world, for me at least, is just a little dimmer now that he's gone.

He was born in 1944 as the son of the local auto mechanic, locksmith, chicken farmer, and all around general-mechanical-whiz of a dad, with the same name.

In 1969, he met his friend from work, to go take a fun ride around Weiss Airport (near St.L., Missouri). He walked away from that - without a fun ride, but with a 50% share in a Cessna 120. The aviation bug bit hard, and he owned a series of small taildraggers, along with his beloved Cherokee 140, and later his Turbo Lance, that he owned until just last year.

His work career spans a 20 year engagement with IBM, where he served on engineering teams that created machines still in use in our day-to-day lives. He ended his work career as an entrepreneur running a small computer store in his small town in Illinois.

For a time period beginning in the early 90s, he got the itch to play with racehorses, and grew a half-share of a horse to a 42-horse semi-professional operation, that provided a nearly-ten-year process of learning and fun.

He had a razor-sharp wit, and while he had a good time, he suffered no fools and wouldn't tolerate sloth or laziness.

Being his only kid could be simultaneously a blessing and a curse, and I focused the energy my parents provided me to become who I am today. (I'll let you decide how I did with that one.)

Thanks for all the good times. Safe flying, Dad. Squawk VFR.

image3.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry to hear it, Rusty. Yours pops sounded like a good dude.

Condolences sir. Alzheimer's is very difficult for all involved. Your dad sounds like quite a remarkable man.

My father went to glory in 1984 as a young man of 59 ... and I still miss him greatly.

I love the tribute! Bravo!!

Mike

Very sorry, Rusty, but what a wonderful post about the man.

I lost my own dad in March of 2021. I know you're going through a rough time right now. Stay focused on the good memories.

Blue skies.

There can be few (if any) who loom larger in our lives than our dads. Very nice tribute, he sounds like someone I'd have loved to have known.

It's not much comfort now, but based on my own experience (7 years since mine died), he is still with you. I certainly "hear" my own dad as I process things today.

Sorry for your loss. Any type of dementia is devastating for families.

Sorry to hear Rusty. Lost an uncle to Alzheimer's a few years ago. That was a nice tribute to your father you wrote.

Sorry to hear that! :( Blue skies and tailwinds to your dad.

Sorry, losing a parent sucks. Whether cancer, old age, etc. Thanks for the short bio

My condolences. Your dad sounded like a wonderful person and no doubt a wonderful father as well. The world could use more like him. I thoroughly enjoyed reading about his life story.

Very sorry for your loss. Wonderful tribute to the man.

This morning, Alzheimers claimed yet another one.

My Dad was quite the accomplished individual, and the world, for me at least, is just a little dimmer now that he's gone.

He was born in 1944 as the son of the local auto mechanic, locksmith, chicken farmer, and all around general-mechanical-whiz of a dad, with the same name.

In 1969, he met his friend from work, to go take a fun ride around Weiss Airport (near St.L., Missouri). He walked away from that - without a fun ride, but with a 50% share in a Cessna 120. The aviation bug bit hard, and he owned a series of small taildraggers, along with his beloved Cherokee 140, and later his Turbo Lance, that he owned until just last year.

His work career spans a 20 year engagement with IBM, where he served on engineering teams that created machines still in use in our day-to-day lives. He ended his work career as an entrepreneur running a small computer store in his small town in Illinois.

For a time period beginning in the early 90s, he got the itch to play with racehorses, and grew a half-share of a horse to a 42-horse semi-professional operation, that provided a nearly-ten-year process of learning and fun.

He had a razor-sharp wit, and while he had a good time, he suffered no fools and wouldn't tolerate sloth or laziness.

Being his only kid could be simultaneously a blessing and a curse, and I focused the energy my parents provided me to become who I am today. (I'll let you decide how I did with that one.)

Thanks for all the good times. Safe flying, Dad. Squawk VFR.

View attachment 110123
Sounds like a great guy. Sorry for your loss.

Sorry to hear about your loss, but glad you grew up with a good guy. I lost my favorite uncle to Alzheimer's. Also a hell of a guy. Soldier and truck driver in WW2, and mechanic and motorcycle junkie after the war. Bought me my first toolbox as a kid, and taught me that there was honor in working with your hands.

Sorry, Rusty. Your dad sounds like a great father, role model and all-around good dude. Great tribute to your pops. Haven't met you in person yet, but it seems like his spirit is strong in you, man. Again, sorry to hear about your dad.

Thanks all for the kind words.

Having dealt with my wife, whose dad was lost suddenly to a heart attack, I'm seeing the contrast in losing a parent from a drawn-out process. An evil one.

It gives you time to grieve, and to say goodbye. But for the caregivers, it's exhausting.

Oh, and I found this in an old cellphone that my mom had. He loved his T-Tail Turbo!

IMG00263-20120408-1650.jpg

Papa Steingar had Alzheimers when he was the age I am right now, died at 69. Sux totally, huge condolences.

Having dealt with my wife, whose dad was lost suddenly to a heart attack, I'm seeing the contrast in losing a parent from a drawn-out process. An evil one.
I've lost loved ones at a variety of paces, from the entirely unexpected phone call to a 26-year rollercoaster, and my conclusion is that there is no good way to lose someone. But there is a good way to appreciate the time you have with someone and there is a good way to live the life you've got. Nicely done to you and your dad.

It looks like you have a very good enduring image of him and who he was throughout his life, and not just near the end - what the disease took from him and his loved ones. That is very important.

It is always very difficult when the world loses such capability, talent, personality, and sense of humor. But it seems that he was able to pass some of that along, so it's not all lost.

I am sorry and have you in my thoughts.

Thoughtful tribute, and delightful photos. Love that your father bought his first plane so young.
Deep condolences. Godspeed.

So sorry to hear this. I know the pain of losing a parent. It takes awhile for your mind to accept they're not there. I'm glad you have so many good memories with him. My Dad was a tough oilfield worker and like your Dad, he didn't put up with much BS!

I lost my Mom suddenly, with no notice. My Dad was going downhill for awhile, so like you, I got to say my goodbyes. I'll agree with you. It was better to be able to say goodbye, but very tough on his caregivers.

Condolences on the lost of your father .
My father bought his first and only airplane in 1945. As a 5 year old kid I was bit with the flying bug that has been with me for a long time. I shall always remember my childhood flights with dad till my last breath. It was one of the best periods I recall of my youth.
Nice tribute to your father. Bless be his memory.

Sorry to hear of your dad’s passing. I too share the pain of losing a parent. It just plain sucks. I’ll tip one back in your dad’s honor tonight

Tomorrow I'm off to the St. Louis area to be there for Thursday's services, and to spend some more time with my Mom.

I just returned (a week and a half ago?) from there visiting them both. I figured a bounce-back was very likely.

As it's just me, I'm letting SWA do the trip instead of taking the Lance over, Solo.

Thanks to you all for allowing me to post this up - I feel far more comfortable sharing with the closer-knit community here, than with the wide world of Facebook.

Back