28V Vs 12V nav lights …

Skip

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Monte92
Dumb question. Can 28V LED nav lights be run on 12V? I just didn’t know if it was built to take 28V or how that works. Friend has some nice 28V WAT nav/strobes but I’m 12v. Thanks.

Some have voltage regulators that can take 28-14v, but if it says 28v, then they’ll be very dim or not work at all on 14v.

Generally, if one runs a voltage through something that is not rated for that voltage, it breaks. You might get away with some-tenths of difference (like using rechargeable batteries vs std). As Mooney said above, many products come with some regulation in front of the circuitry that allows for a range of inputs.

Some have voltage regulators that can take 28-14v, but if it says 28v, then they’ll be very dim or not work at all on 14v.
Bummer. He was going to give me those Orion 600’s for my 172. Guess I’ll have to pass on them.

Bummer. He was going to give me those Orion 600’s for my 172. Guess I’ll have to pass on them.
You could always develop an STC to convert the airplane to 24v…hate to give up free stuff! ;)

many products come with some regulation in front of the circuitry that allows for a range of inputs.
I would think that there is probably some regulation on how you use that regulation.

You could always develop an STC to convert the airplane to 24v…hate to give up free stuff! ;)
That would cost much more than any savings.

Yeah, I see the smiley...

He was going to give me those Orion 600’s for my 172. Guess I’ll have to pass on them.
FYI: some products have options on the voltage and the paperwork side that is worth at least a call/email to OEM especially since they're giving them to you.

FYI: some products have options on the voltage and the paperwork side that is worth at least a call/email to OEM especially since they're giving them to you.
Orion 600's have different part numbers for 14V vs 28V. That's not a good omen.

Orion 600's have different part numbers for 14V vs 28V. That's not a good omen.
Except sometimes you can send them back to get modified for the cost of shipping only along with the proper approvals. Few people think to pursue this route and live on the edge so to speak. ;)

I put a 6 volt headlight on a 12 volt system and it worked great.!!

For about 3 seconds....

I’m in the market for a 28v set. Would he want to sell them?

Back