how much confidence do you have in fuel gauges?

hey man do whatever you want, be as conservative as you want, but i don't think that 'saves' you from accidents or misfortune. i find it odd how obsessed you make it sound like you are about your airplanes fuel burn, only to load it up with 5.5 hours of fuel for a 2 hour trip. i don't know the data, but it wouldn't surprise me if more people get into trouble with having more weight and worse climb than they need than who run out of gas
I didn’t say a single word about loading up with 5.5 hours of fuel for a 2-hour trip, nor is this thread or anything I said anything to do with weight and balance. Nice try though.

Well, I now know that when my left side reads at the 27 gallon mark, I have 31 gallons in that tank.

The reason for the difference is I have Monroy tank STC in my Mooney. So the tanks are one bay (14.5 gallons) larger, but the fuel senders to not read that fuel directly. The tanks are connected, so as the fuel burns, it is like one bigger tank. So when the standard tank shows 27, there is about 4 gallons still in the aux tank area.

Right side, the outboard sender is not working, so at full (52 gallons), it reads just under 27 gallons.

So…
Then

Seems a lot like not being willing to listen.
I repeat: Nope. How am I “eliminating” a tool that I’m using? There are limitations to that specific tool, which I take into consideration when deciding how much confidence to have in the information it is providing to me. It has very specific accuracy requirements, which I know and consider in my process.

So far I’ve been told I’m eliminating something I’m using, that I’m not listening to something someone refuses to explain, that I’m obsessed with something I merely mentioned, and that I’m going to crash because I don’t do weight and balance. Forgive me for not quite understanding.

And this isn’t a right or wrong question. I’m not wrong, you’re not right and vice versa. Everyone is free to determine for themselves how to approach this. So you think I’m too cautious. Ok, that’s fine. I think some people aren’t cautious enough. All good. But the responses I’ve gotten just don’t make much sense. They really don’t.

“That’s stupid.”

Why?

“You just aren’t listening.”

Okay, explain it to me.

“You just don’t get it.”

:shrugs:

If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use what the rule?

I'm not helping any, but this thread is long.

I didn’t say a single word about loading up with 5.5 hours of fuel for a 2-hour trip, nor is this thread or anything I said anything to do with weight and balance. Nice try though.
you have said that your airplane can fly for around 5.5 hours with full fuel and that you land and refuel when you hit half tanks, you don't like to fly for more than a couple of hours, and that you do this because you don't trust the equipment in your airplane. then somebody brings up how obviously ridiculous that is, and you get defensive and go the "i knew you would nitpick this" route

everything you have said in this thread has been totally off topic and unhelpful to the question. i'm not sure if you're more interested in convincing us or yourself about your own strategy. if you're happy with what you do and it works for you then great

I have an MVP-50, and the tip tanks show exactly what I have in them. The mains show 5 gallons less than is actually in it. I should re-calibrate, but meh.

None. They are for sure accurate when they are empty. Knowing how your aircraft burns fuel and good flight planning is what keeps you out of trouble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back