Route suggestions, Boise to Dallas...

RyanShort1

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
RyanShort1
I'll probably flying this route towards the end of next week 09/09. Roughly KBOI-KJWY and I've got ideas of which route I'd prefer, but would like to hear suggestions from those who are more familiar with the area.

Probably flying a Cardinal capable of 4-5 hour legs but want to keep a good fuel reserve.

Airport suggestions also welcome.

Current planned route is roughly:

KBOI KTWF U42 KPUC KCNY KCEZ KFMN KABQ KLBB KRBD

If weather causes issues across the planned route, I would be curious what the locals in the northwest would do heading south or east.

Boise ==> general direction of Salt Lake City, and then to Albuquerque would be my route. Funny you picked CEZ and FMN. I did those two on my big western trip.

Once you are east of the Front Range, turn south.
This is the route I took some time back from New Orleans to Seattle going through Boise. This was a Warrior.
KNEW-S43.jpg

I’m interested in this as well. Curious, what would be the minimal required altitude for this route?

I’m interested in this as well. Curious, what would be the minimal required altitude for this route?

You shouldn't need to go above 10,000 on that route. Follow the railroad tracks to PUC. Once past there, it gets lower.

Foreflight says with a 4 mile corridor, highest point is 11,713. 2 mile corridor, 11, 004. I did a little modifying between U42 and PUC that gives ya some breathing room. IFR. Ya got both a road and a train track. I’m thinking spend the night at U42 and get up early.
upload_2022-8-31_9-24-41.png

Last edited:
Thank you for the informative reply! I also now know what is provided in FF's "profile" view (an option to which I currently do not subscribe).

I'm partial to a "northern" transition and would go KBOI KRKS KRWL KCYS. Doesn't add much over a direct route, lower mountains and a lot more airports after KCYS.

I'm partial to a "northern" transition and would go KBOI KRKS KRWL KCYS. Doesn't add much over a direct route, lower mountains and a lot more airports after KCYS.

Thank you for the alternative route. It looks to be shorter.

Uh, he said Boise, not Seattle. Probably not going to go north.
Look at the posted photo again. I flew from SE to NW. Just flip the route from Boise and fly SE.

Look at the posted photo again. I flew from SE to NW. Just flip the route from Boise and fly SE.

So your turn south east of the front range comment means what? Oh yeah, that he's going north out of the way. Again, Boise != Seattle.

It's like me telling someone to go from cver Beaver Island to get to Milwaukee from South Bend.

To reiterate, Boise != Seattle.

"How do I get to Milwaukee from South Bend?"
"Oh, just go over Beaver Island if you are hesitant crossing the lake."

Oooooooookay.

So your turn south east of the front range comment means what? Oh yeah, that he's going north out of the way. Again, Boise != Seattle.

It's like me telling someone to go from cver Beaver Island to get to Milwaukee from South Bend.

Oooooooookay.
Ed has a point...

Oooooooookay.

It's obviously after noon in MI.

So your turn south east of the front range comment means what? Oh yeah, that he's going north out of the way. Again, Boise != Seattle...
Not to be offensive, but what are you missing?
The "Front Range" is the eastern edge of the Rockies.
The relevant part of the route I posted is Boise to Billings (then SE) to Sheridan to Douglas and south. That skims the eastern edge of the Front Range.

Not to be offensive, but what are you missing?
The "Front Range" is the eastern edge of the Rockies.
The relevant part of the route I posted is Boise to Billings (then SE) to Sheridan to Douglas and south. That skims the eastern edge of the Front Range.

I know where the front range is. Try looking at a map and comparing your route vs via SLC ABQ. Think about it for a few hours, and you'll see the issue.

I know where the front range is. Try looking at a map and comparing your route vs via SLC ABQ. Think about it for a few hours, and you'll see the issue.
The point of my suggested route was to get out of the rocks ASAP and have a nice paved highway near.
I'm still not understanding how a turn to the SE means you're heading north.

Ryan, let us know how the flight goes.

The point of my suggested route was to get out of the rocks ASAP and have a nice paved highway near.
I'm still not understanding how a turn to the SE means you're heading north.

Ryan, let us know how the flight goes.
Yeah, honestly, anything north of SLC looks like it would keep us over the mountains longer, by a bit.

Skyvector Route.png

I'm still not understanding

Obviously.

Hint: Your route showing Bozeman <==> Billings has you going which direction from Boise?

And as far as getting out of the big rocks by going that way...

Do you know where Boise actually is?
Have you looked at a chart?

I've flown the route I posted, so yes, I have been to Boise. My route was just a friendly alternative. I wish Ryan a pleasant and safe flight regardless of what route he chooses.

I've flown the route I posted, so yes, I have been to Boise.

That route doesn't go to Boise. It goes to Seattle. You may want a more in depth flight review on flight planning and charts, or see an ophthalmologist.

Give it a rest Ed. I'm not going to trade insults with you.

@RyanShort1 I've done both the SLC route and the Wyoming route out of Boise. This is what I see the options as (and stick more to civilization as you want - these are just directional):

Northern route:
KBOI - U17 - KRKS - MBW - KCYS and then southeast from there with whatever stops you want.

Southern Route:
KBOI - V4 - MLD - KSPK (after a million vectors from SLC around their airspace) - YMONT - KPUC - KFMN - KABQ - east from there

For the northern route folks, no reason at all to go east all the way to CYS. Hang a right at LAR and point it southeast towards FNL. Stay a bit north of FNL and it’s a fairly low crossing. Seems like a minor shortcut on a map maybe but it’s practical with gas stop options ranging from GXY to FNL to LMO. GXY has a crew car. Even APA is an option if you want food on the field and a hotel nearby. From the Denver area I usually headed towards BGD for cheap gas but sometimes cheap gas can be found in Oklahoma for a more direct route. The FBO at BGD does close fairly early which is something to keep in mind. They do have crew cars there.

I've flown the route I posted, so yes, I have been to Boise. My route was just a friendly alternative. I wish Ryan a pleasant and safe flight regardless of what route he chooses.

The confusion is that the route you posted never comes within 250 miles of Boise. Boise is Southern Idaho, your route goes through Cour d'Alene in the northern panhandle.

Follow main highways(plenty of emergency landing spots, people will see you if you go down, minimum altitudes, likely to be airports along the way), weather determines route, early takeoffs, be more conservative with headwinds, more aggressive if the ind is at your back(throttle back to maneuvering speed and ride out the bumps). Direct is not your friend in mountains and low populated areas.

Back