Letter for Special Issuance Conditions

Chris Charanza

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Chris
So my SI letter and Medical certificate came in the mail today and I noticed something, well I noticed the lack of something that brings me here. So the issues that affected my certification were ADHD (adderall script) generalized anxeity disorder (xanax script) and sleep apnea and to a lesser extent the hypertension which it turns out it appears the sleep apena was aggravating that since it seems to have normalized (on meds when it was still high before on meds). The thing I'm curious about is that my letter for special issuance mentions nothing about the sleep apnea. I did send in the initial status paperwork with everything else after being on CPAP for 30 days and I thought I'd have to provide sleep data annually but the only thing they want for me to do is bring the doctor's treatment notes in reference to the anxiety disorder to the AME next March to reapply for the SI and that's it. They didn't mention anything at all about providing sleep data so is that something that I'll have to do in 2 years when the medical expires vs in March when the SI does?

I don’t think your medical can remain valid beyond the expiration of an SI authorization.

I’d have to look at the letter but it mentioned something about having an exam in 2024 not 2023 and just having to bring the documentation for the SI to the AME IN 2023. I know the medical isn’t valid without the SI

It may have fell thru the cracks. continue to comply with your sleep doctor's orders. discuss with your AME - maybe he can call the FAA for you. If it is an error of omission it will eventually be corrected, and you will not be held responsible. If you were my airman, I would call the FAA on your behalf.

Oh I’m definitely going to use the cpap because I definitely sleep better with it (most of the time) I just find it odd that it was one of the primary things listed to begin with yet no mention if it so really it’s just a matter of logging the cpap which I’ll keep doing.

So I got a hold of OKC and they looked up the file and the reviewing doctor did include the sleep apnea in the file for the letter of special issuance and apparently whoever created the actual letter left it off. They are going to create a new letter of special issuance and send it to me. As far as the exam date of 2024 it looks like I submit the paperwork in 2023 and they'll send me a new medical certificate but I don't have to actually complete another exam until 2024.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back