IFR bust…or…not?

O

OopsIBustedIt

En route the yesterday, I was given a descent into my Initial Approach Fix “N12345 cross POINT at or above 4500.” I was in and out of the clouds throughout my flight and was excited that perhaps the bases were near 4500. I was looking around and kind of aiming for the base of the next cloud when I look down and see my altimeter at just over 4000. “Oh no! That’s outside of my 300’ window of leeway!” I immediately climbed back up and continued at or above my assigned altitude.

No “Possible pilot deviation,” no number to call, not even a “verify altimeter setting.”

Am I going to get a letter from the FAA? Am I going under investigation? Am I doomed forever? (Ok, I know it isn’t that bad…)

No loss of separation occurred, no danger to safety of flight as I was in VMC when it occurred, and while the computer probably caught it, nothing was ever said.
I know that many “busts” are never elevated above the controller, so could I skate by with just a lesson learned? Should I file an ASRS report? All these questions and more have been running through my head.

ATC probably didn’t even notice the momentary change. If your worried file an ASRS report.

You're probably fine, but it can come up in a QA review and still get filed. I wouldn't worry too much about it, though.

File the ASRS report. Good idea even if you didn't violate any regs.

After doing some more research, I opted to file the ASRS report as it is anonymous. In the event that nothing happens, then no harm, no foul. If they do follow up, I doubt it will go any further than a phone call (although with it being a club plane, I doubt it will even go that far at this point).
Worst case scenario and they really want to stick it to me for a few seconds of being below my assigned altitude, I have an ASRS report to keep me out of big trouble.

The 4,500 sounds like it was required for the approach and not for sep purposes. They aren’t that concerned about that nor do they have time to write up everyone who busts a crossing altitude. Since you didn’t get a safety alert, doubtful if it even triggered an MSAW.

Don't limit your ASRS filings to incidents where you may have violated a regulation. It is a safety database that is used to identify problems and improve safety. File an ASRS whenever you encounter something that could affect safety issues. Identify threats you encountered and errors you made.

I once was in a similar situation, but on climb out and leveled at the cloud bases to pass under a big build up.
I got a "low altitude alert" and corrected immediately and never got a phone number.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back