VFR flight: EGT/CHT Gauge Required?

Jim Blankenship

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
JBlankenship
On a certified late 90s (1995-2000), is the EGT/CHT gauge required equipment for day VFR flight? Must it be operating/serviceable?

I have a 1998 Cessna 182S.

is the EGT/CHT gauge required equipment for day VFR flight? Must it be operating/serviceable?
FYI: there are equipment requirements for operating an aircraft per Part 91 and then there are equipment requirements that fall under how the aircraft was certified (CAR 3/Part 23) that need to be addressed depending on how the OEM performed that certification. Given you have a restart Cessna, any certification required part should be marked in the OEM equipment list and must be dealt with per 91.213 and not 91.205.

Correct me if I am wrong (….again…:oops:). All the equipment in part 91.205 as well as that listed as required in the original equipment list must be present and operable?

You need CHT if you have cowl flaps...

Paul
This is correct. You won't find this in 91.205, but it will be required by the type certificate if that is the case.

Correct me if I am wrong (….again…:oops:). All the equipment in part 91.205 as well as that listed as required in the original equipment list must be present and operable?
Depends on the nature of the "equipment list" is for your particular aircraft. My "equipment list" is nothing more than the "installed stuff" in my aircraft. It's mostly a W&B exercise. While the stuff in the list has to be there or operational, the rules for flying with something inoperative is as described in the regs.

All the equipment in part 91.205 as well as that listed as required in the original equipment list must be present and operable?
In general yes. However even the equipment or item that is not listed in 205 or marked as required on the OEM KOL listing and is installed has to be operable or dealt with per 91.213 or an approved MEL/NEF program in order to be legal.

Back