GA Camping fill up time?

n20junkie

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Grant Farmer
I planned on getting to the show monday, but I am concerned that the GA Camping will be filled by then. Does the GAC area fill up monday usually? thanks.

Last time we went we got one of the last camping sites on Tuesday afternoon. And that was a record year for attendance.

I've been to OSH 8 of the last 10 years and have yet to have a problem getting a camping spot. It might be full for the first part of the first day, but there are a lot of pre-OSH arrivals that actually leave during the first day.

Just keep checking the website and/or the 1-800 number and try your luck, I guess.

FYI: Seems like there is always a large influx of planes immediately following the airshow, but getting there EARLY AM (as in listening to the controllers sip their coffee on the radio) usually works for us.

hmmmm, as a first timer going to Osh this year and planning on camping - what's the alternate? I'm planning on flying in on Wednesday and arriving around 6:30 pm. If there is a possibility of no camping spots available - my plans may have to significantly change.

advice?

You shouldn't have any trouble by Wednesday evening - usually a lot of empty camping spots by then!

I sound like a broken record but in addition to Fond du Lac and wherever else, a reminder that we also offer camping & transportation at Brennand Airport (79C) 10 miles north of Oshkosh. http://airnav.com/airport/79C

Our annual fly-in is tomorrow July 26th and always serves as a kick-off to EAA.

So far I know Evektor will be demoing the Sportstar out of our field during the week... it's here now!

The fees the manager charges for tiedown & transportation ($10?) help support our privately-owned, public-use airport.

Kate, have you flown the SportStar? I've got 20 or so hours in the one that was based at Grand Prairie TX... loved that little plane!! If you've not flown in it, get a ride!!! The visibility and handling is amazing.

I have a strong suspicion that aircraft camping and parking spot availability will not be an issue this year at Oshkosh. The high price of avgas these days is keeping a lot of planes home that otherwise would be attending. Only about half the number of planes from my airport, that used to always be regular attenders in years past, are going this year. :(

For another data point........

I just dug out my log book and the only time I didn't get in to OSH was my first trip in 2003, and that was on a Tuesday. The ATIS said they were closed to camping and we ended up camping at Fond du Lac. We would take a bus to OSH and back so we didn't miss a lot.

People surprise me, but I will be shocked if they fill up this year. There doesn't seem to be much going on at the airports around here!

I think it was two years ago that we ended up on the north side of 9/27. I remember that by Wednesday we were playing whiffle ball and Frisbee in an almost empty field.

Tom

I went to OSH to watch arrivals early this evening and can tell you there is still LOTS of camping space in the north 40. We'll see how much more it fills up tomorrow.

GAC is at 65 percent, I sure hope I don't regret waiting till monday morning.

Back