KSMO IFR Departure (West)

VWGhiaBob

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
VWGhiaBob
Any KSMO IFR pilots know what the usual IFR Departure procedure is for Westbound traffic (KSMO to KSBA)?

Thank you.

Fly runway heading to 1000’
Then right turn to heading 250
Then radar vectors . . .

Request TEC Route SMOP38

Not talking about to SBA in particular. But do they still use that until the LAX 315 Radial thing sometimes?
They no longer use the LAX 315 Radial for single engine prop planes. (Don't know about twins or jets.) I'm not sure why they switched to RH -> 1000. Two possibilities occurred to me. First, the LAX VOR was out of service for quite a while. And second, it could be that departing pilots weren't making the turn at the radial on time. If the turn isn't made on time, planes will fly into the LAX Bravo. If the turn is made too soon, planes will fly over residential areas. I speculate that the tower controllers observed that turns at 1000 feet by single engine prop planes is early enough to keep them out of the Bravo and high enough to avoid complaints by most residents. (I say "most" residents, because I was once told that an airport neighbor complained about noise that actually was coming from an LAX-bound airliner flying over the SMO VOR at 7000. KSMO is charged with all sorts of offenses -- noise, air pollution, traffic -- that are actually caused by things that are completely unrelated to KSMO operations.)

They no longer use the LAX 315 Radial for single engine prop planes. (Don't know about twins or jets.) I'm not sure why they switched to RH -> 1000. Two possibilities occurred to me. First, the LAX VOR was out of service for quite a while. And second, it could be that departing pilots weren't making the turn at the radial on time. If the turn isn't made on time, planes will fly into the LAX Bravo. If the turn is made too soon, planes will fly over residential areas. I speculate that the tower controllers observed that turns at 1000 feet by single engine prop planes is early enough to keep them out of the Bravo and high enough to avoid complaints by most residents. (I say "most" residents, because I was once told that an airport neighbor complained about noise that actually was coming from an LAX-bound airliner flying over the SMO VOR at 7000. KSMO is charged with all sorts of offenses -- noise, air pollution, traffic -- that are actually caused by things that are completely unrelated to KSMO operations.)
The turn to 250 at the 315 radial wouldn’t keep planes out of the Bravo. It would keep them from flying into Rwy 24/25 LAX departures by getting them parallel about 3 miles away however. I’m guessing the reason they finally quit using it is because to many of the GPS generation of pilots were having to much trouble figuring out how to do it. The 350’ per NM minimum climb should make the turn happen soon enough doing it at 1000 feet

Fly runway heading to 1000’
Then right turn to heading 250
Then radar vectors . . .

Request TEC Route SMOP38
Thanks all…confirming this is what I got. Easy peasy. Runway heading to 1000’, then 250 heading, then vectors to VTU VOR then on course.

Back