Upgrade to a ELT 406MHz?

mandm

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Michael
Any recommendations on which ELT 406 to get? And should I? Thinking to do it the next time my ELT battery needs to be replaced.

Any recommendations on which ELT 406 to get? And should I? Thinking to do it the next time my ELT battery needs to be replaced.
My 121.5 ELT failed to work during my annual last month. I looked around for used 121.5 that was like my old one with no luck finding one that was guaranteed to work. I found most were selling their old one for parts as is where is. No thanks.
I bought a new Airtex 345 and my avionics shop installed it last week. 1500 bucks later I have a 406 ELT that is GPS enabled. I hope I never have to use it.

Last edited:
I think Airtex is considered to be one of the best. We have one in the Bonanza. I’ve also put in a couple of ACK’s without any problems. We have a ACK in the 172M. Never had a problem with any of them.
You’re definitely better off with a 406 but I probably have a used 121.5 if you need one.

Attachments

• C31F156B-B872-4039-905D-D8EAA9846F77.jpeg
    C31F156B-B872-4039-905D-D8EAA9846F77.jpeg
    240.8 KB · Views: 16
Ack is E-04 is an OK unit, but I dislike the fact that it has 3 batteries (main one in the unit, one in the remote unit and one in the audio alerter). Also if you want to interface it to a GPS, the DIN connector is more of a pain to build up than a d-sub. Also if interfacing to GPS, you have to provide bus power as well. I prefer the Airtex 345 for those reasons.

Ack is E-04 is an OK unit, but I dislike the fact that it has 3 batteries (main one in the unit, one in the remote unit and one in the audio alerter). Also if you want to interface it to a GPS, the DIN connector is more of a pain to build up than a d-sub. Also if interfacing to GPS, you have to provide bus power as well. I prefer the Airtex 345 for those reasons.
Agreed. I usually swap all 3 batteries on the ACK whenever the main one is due. It’s not a huge deal really, just more to track.

I don't think I need an ELT for where I fly. All the rescuers would have to do is head towards the news helicopters circling over the airplane.

As far as battery's go...What I learned is the Airtex345 has one battery that must be replaced in 6 years I think or maybe not until 2029? I can't remember without looking.
But I was warned the battery only has 60 minutes of use in it, then it has to be replaced. Each time you do a self test it uses couple minutes of battery time. Something to be aware of I guess?

Proprietary batteries?
Multiple locations for batteries?
Think I will stick with a 121.5 and plb if I feel the need for one.

Proprietary batteries?
Multiple locations for batteries?
Think I will stick with a 121.5 and plb if I feel the need for one.
The upside is that those Li-ion cells weigh a lot less than those 3.5lbs of alkaline D-cells.

As far as battery's go...What I learned is the Airtex345 has one battery that must be replaced in 6 years I think or maybe not until 2029? I can't remember without looking.
But I was warned the battery only has 60 minutes of use in it, then it has to be replaced. Each time you do a self test it uses couple minutes of battery time. Something to be aware of I guess?

All ELT batteries must be replaced upon 60m of use, see 91.207(c). And a self test should not be transmitting for several minutes.

One nice thing about a 406 MHz ELT with GPS is you don't need 60 *minutes* of pings to be located.

Ahh! I meant "minutes" but wrote "seconds". This version has been edited to correct.

Last edited:
All ELT batteries must be replaced upon 60m of use, see 91.207(c). And a self test should not be transmitting for several minutes.
The Artex ME406 tracks the self-tests. Each test counts for 30 seconds of battery whether it takes two seconds or 30. After the limit it will bug you to replace the battery.

The old 121.5 ELTs and PLBs are almost useless. Nobody is listening for them except ATC and airliners, and if you crash ten miles from tge airport ATC probably won't hear it. Airliners only hear it when passing over, and if you're away from the air routes you are out of luck.

If installing a 406, make aure the installer follows the requirements in the manual. I've had to re-install numerous units that were just screwed to the old 121.5 mount, and the chances of reliable actuation drop considerably. Don't spend money on something that might not help you.

The old 121.5 ELTs and PLBs are almost useless. Nobody is listening for them except ATC and airliners, and if you crash ten miles from tge airport ATC probably won't hear it. Airliners only hear it when passing over, and if you're away from the air routes you are out of luck.

If installing a 406, make aure the installer follows the requirements in the manual. I've had to re-install numerous units that were just screwed to the old 121.5 mount, and the chances of reliable actuation drop considerably. Don't spend money on something that might not help you.

I was not comfortable having it done by my AP/IA with me helping. He is a smart long time IA and has worked on plenty of small aircraft including mine for over 30 years. But he is real busy and I don't know how much experience he has with 406 ELTs? He also got a new job recently as DOM for airline and is out of town more than he used to be.
When I learned from this board that the old mount may not be OK and the GPS connection made me think of my avionics shop. Of course they install a lot of them.
This where they put mine in the back of a 172.
IMG_2079.JPG

The buzzer is attached to the wire harness so it can be moved out of the way with the ELT.
of course I got the rocker switch on my panel which was never there before. I have always got super clean installs from them and this time was no different. Switch in the panel look like cessna put it there. I have a 650 and GTX345 in the plane that they installed, so I guess it get's it's GPS from them?
I got a new antenna also.

The avionics shop took care of registering it and I had to buy a 64 dollar one time website site for him to test/register it I think? I got a text and e mail when he did test it before I picked up. I received a official form showing was tested and working.

I did have to register it myself with my name, info and 2 of my closest friends and numbers with NOAA. They got my number!!
Be sure to un register it from your name when you sell the plane.

IMG_2080.JPG

Last edited:
One nice thing about a 406 MHz ELT with GPS is you don't need 60 seconds of pings to be located.

Agree the best thing about a GPS enabled 406 ELT is it probably needs about 30 seconds of working time and it's job is done.
Our State Aeronautics department says about them "There is no Search, just a rescue"

Brian

Ack is E-04 is an OK unit, but I dislike the fact that it has 3 batteries ...

Okay well you can pay three grand for an ME406 then (if you can find somebody who's got one)

Okay well you can pay three grand for an ME406 then (if you can find somebody who's got one)

I never suggested the ME406 as an option, I said I preferred the Artex 345 over the Ack E-04. The price difference between the two is ~$100.

If installing a 406, make aure the installer follows the requirements in the manual. I've had to re-install numerous units that were just screwed to the old 121.5 mount, and the chances of reliable actuation drop considerably.

Exactly! I’ve seen some really messed up installations. It’s not that difficult. Just read the installation instructions. Found one last year signed off without even having a battery in it! That shop should have their repair station yanked. Of course it wasn’t an A&P who installed it. Some kid with car stereo background working under the golden umbrella of the RS. Same ole story.

I never suggested the ME406 as an option, I said I preferred the Artex 345 over the Ack E-04. The price difference between the two is ~$100.

I was turned off by ACR because of that $120/yr subscription scam they run for testing. They even tell you in the manual to use it.

I was turned off by ACR because of that $120/yr subscription scam they run for testing. They even tell you in the manual to use it.
Which test subscription are you refering to? Reference?

406Test ELT self testing service - page 26 of the ACR 345 Installation Manual under Inspection and Test Regulatory Requirements says to use that service.
Yes this is the one time $64.00 including tax? one time website fee I had to pay for. I was shown it before the ELT was installed. I think it allowed him to print out a certification that it was tested and worked? It may have been what E mailed and texted me when he did do the test?

Is this a one time thing? Or does a IA need this service to certify ELTs during annuals?

Last edited:
says to use that service.
The ACR 406test site is only a recommendation and not required for a US install. The procedure listed above the test site note is the only items required.
does a IA need this service to certify ELTs during annuals?
FYI: ELTs do not require certification for US installations. A simple function test satisfies the requirement. However some US CRS shops follow their own path this but there is no US regulatory requirement. Canada on the other hand requires a detailed performance test which requires shop equipment.

The ACR 406test site is only a recommendation and not required for a US install...

Correct, I was just stating that the way they have done this leads some people to believe that it is required. It's just my opinion on the matter. I used to have a standing dislike for Slick Magnetos because they had a discount exchange program where they would take your Bendix mags in trade and then destroy them. Just kind of rubbed me the wrong way.

Back