Flying milestone

jsstevens

Final Approach
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
jsstevens
I thought about putting this in the Student Pilots thread because it is another step in my learning, but well, whatever.

I flew a multi-engined airplane solo for the first time today. I got my ME rating in April, and got checked out in the flying club's Seminole in early June. (Two flights worth.)

Today I planned a short round robin flight from Sanford (KSFB) to Deland (KDED) to New Smyrna (KEVB) and back. It's a short flight but I'm limited to 50nm due to the ELT being INOP. Weather at New Smyrna was reporting marginal VFR, but heck, so was Sanford and it was one of those where-are-the-sensor things. I took off and while climbing out apparently bumped my headset plug one notch so I had no comms for a bit. Once I figured that out both tower and departure were trying to call me. (Oops!) I sorted that out and headed off toward DeLand. At this point I'm at 1500' and realize I can't hear departure. I can hear folks talking to departure, but not departure. Finally gave up and switched to squawking VFR and Deland CTAF. I was 9 miles north at that point. I purposefully stayed ~10 miles away passing to the west because I was not talking or listening to CTAF and Deland is a very popular training field.) I overflew Deland at 1500, and teardropped back into a left downwind for 23. There were at least 4 other planes all trainers in the pattern. I made one attemp at getting set up to land, but got bolloxed up choosing the runway. (It was hazy and I was busy.) So I departed to the north to avoid all the other planes. (Announcing all the way.)

I decided to head back to Sanford. Called approach, put in the squawk code, showed up where I said I was and he asked for a left 360 for sequencing to the Monroe Arrival (VFR corridor into Sanford form the north). Cleared me in and transferred me to tower. I headed in, asked for closed traffic and was cleared #3 on 27R. I did 2 T&G landings then did a full stop. In each case I followed the GUMPS check, checked the gear (3 green, one in the mirror) on downwind, base and final. Made three decent landings and quit for the day.

It wasn't all I wanted to do (I wanted to practice transitioning to cruise, then approach and landing at each airport) but I did fine with all I did other than getting mixed up at Deland. :oops:

And I did it without the constant input from a CFI.

The one downside? That 1.4 hours cost $306 for the plane and $139 in fuel.

John

Nice! Congrats! Can't wait to start my multi.

Nice! Congrats! Can't wait to start my multi.
Let me know if you want to split time. I'm trying to knock out MEI this year so I sure would like another ~10 or so hour PIC Multi time.

Congrats! More expensive than a Skyhawk, sure - but sounds like a ton of fun.

Well congrats ,I always enjoyed flying my twin in Florida. Have since transitioned to a Cessna 150. Hopefully gas prices will continue down.

Nice! Glad you got to fly it, and I hope you’ll get the ELT corrected soon so you can do some real traveling.

The one downside? That 1.4 hours cost $306 for the plane and $139 in fuel.

Have you considered switching to cocaine? It would be cheaper and less addictive.

And I did it without the constant input from a CFI.

Felt a little strange, I bet.!!

I remember my first solo flight in a multi engine.

It was in Alaska flying a PA31-350 Navajo Chieftain. Prior to me coming into the company, the company had a couple of accidents so new hires had to do 50 hours of IOE. After that last flight of IOE with a company instructor I was turned loose. My next flight was a scheduled flight with a full load of passengers going from Kotz to Selawik to Kiana to Noorvik back to Kotz.

I felt fine until I lined up on the runway for departure when it hit me I was now solely responsible for the passengers onboard. But after throttles up everything felt normal.

And Kotz was the only paved runway on that trip.

At least I didn't pay for the fuel.!!

Nice! . . . . . .
Have you considered switching to cocaine? It would be cheaper and less addictive.

What's the difference between this hobby, and a drunken sailor on leave?

This hobby takes a lot more money ;) - plus the government gets involved -

I planned on renting the Duchess at the local flight school every now and then to build time. Found out on the way to my checkride that the owner doesn’t rent it out solo for insurance reasons. Flight school has since closed and my ME is collecting dust.

Congrats! I just got my ME add on but I don’t meet insurance minimums to solo the club’s twin…

Nice! Glad you got to fly it, and I hope you’ll get the ELT corrected soon so you can do some real traveling.

I’m too old for cocaine. :)

Congrats! I just got my ME add on but I don’t meet insurance minimums to solo the club’s twin…
I was pleasantly surprised that our club is 300 hours minimum (total time) to qualify. This twin and the two 182s were the main attractions. Though we’ve got lots of 172s and a few Archers as well.

What's the difference between this hobby, and a drunken sailor on leave?

This hobby takes a lot more money ;) - plus the government gets involved -
I’m pretty sure from the stories I’ve heard that if the sailor gets drunk enough the government gets involved. :)

congrats!!
count me as jealous

I never finished my multi engine....
but I did get signed off for the check ride.
but the only available examiner was at another airport some distance away
so my MEI signed me off to solo the Apache 150 over to where the examiner was based.
But on my preflight the wings were leaking gasoline like a seive.... no thanks, so I cancelled.
I've gotta admit I was nervous about making that solo flight anyway...mostly because how underpowered it was....but oh how I wish that I could have done it!
They never did fix that thing

Anyway, glad yours worked out!

Glad you figured out the NORDO issue and was able to make it back without issue. Always great flying solo… especially a twin! What kind of twin is it? I love having the security of the second engine flying low over all the swamps in central florida.

Congrats! Awesome stuff, multi's kick A$$!

Glad you figured out the NORDO issue and was able to make it back without issue. Always great flying solo… especially a twin! What kind of twin is it? I love having the security of the second engine flying low over all the swamps in central florida.
Piper Seminole.

Back