FlightsForBites.com

Fantastic! Thanks for sharing this.

@Sinistar @EdFred @kath @schmookeeg

I've added a new tab entitled "Search Restaurants" for those who have trouble finding restaurants with airport codes. On this tab, users can enter any portion of an airport code, name, city or county. The site then returns a list of matches from which users can select and continue.

Just added a bunch of comments with hours for the ones near CON we frequent.

This is cool! Thank you! Would it be possible to host it on a URL that's easy to remember? Maybe www.pilot-food.com -- GoDaddy says that is available for 1 penny.
Yep. On my list is HTTPS support and a more friendly host name. The current host name is from a free service I've used for 10+ years. It's been that long since I looked into host name services.

This is great! fly2lunch is another service like this but most of the data in there seems outdated.

Last edited:
This is great! fly2lunch is another service like this but most of the data in there seems outdated.
Yep. Stale data in the other options was the main motivator for this project.

I'd be dropping the H constantly.

pilotsnax.com isn't taken. :) too bad the proper spelling is.

Since my site is better, I would consider Fly1Lunch.com :)

It's surprising how many niche yet appropriate names are already taken. Do you think HangryPilots.com is memorable? :D

Fly4lunch.com is available

Why all the lunch bias?? :) Quick survey. I'll register a host tonight.

Finalists:
Fly2Meal.com
Fly2Restaurant.com
Fly4Lunch.com
pilotsnax.com
HangryPilots.com
Pilot-Food.com
Flights-and-Bites.com

airportrestaurants.com
So here I am trying to be clever and you throw out a very practical solution :) I like it. It's hard to believe GARestaurants.com is taken.

Why all the lunch bias?? :) Quick survey. I'll register a host tonight.

Finalists:
Fly2Meal.com
Fly2Restaurant.com
Fly4Lunch.com
pilotsnax.com
HangryPilots.com
Pilot-Food.com
Flights-and-Bites.com

I like flights and bites other than the hyphens. flightsforbites.com is available.

also, would a checkbox for if they serve breakfast make sense?

I like flights and bites other than the hyphens. flightsforbites.com is available.

also, would a checkbox for if they serve breakfast make sense?

Some of us will never be arsed to get to the airport early enough to score proper breakfast at breakfast time.

Breakfast all day is the win.

Restaurants which close by 2pm, when I'm finally astir, is the lose.

I'm happy for anything at this point. It's all better than fly2 and the old hamburger site.

I miss the flight guides though. Those seemed well updated.

Flight guides???

41bPZNsOqEL._SX373_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Came as a 3-volume set. Printed on spider gossamer to reduce bulk, in 4 point font. The whole country, including its restaurants and attractions, at your fingertips awaiting your merest whim.

I stopped buying them when the ipad 1 came out, but I thought they were magical.

....Would it be possible to host it on a URL that's easy to remember?...
Ask and ye shall receive: FlightsForBites In fairness to @eman1200, he also threw up all over the initial host name.

I will not have time to setup HTTPS before I leave for Destin. I'll take care of that in a couple of weeks.

Came as a 3-volume set. Printed on spider gossamer to reduce bulk, in 4 point font. The whole country, including its restaurants and attractions, at your fingertips awaiting your merest whim.

I stopped buying them when the ipad 1 came out, but I thought they were magical.

That brings back memories! I still have my last one from circa-2000 somewhere.

On another note I added Hangar One Bistro to the list, it’s the airport restaurant at KSGJ (Saint Augustine, FL).

@Mahneuvers What's your plan to deal with duplicates?

upload_2022-8-17_20-59-32.png

Also, you might want to make the difference between "Find Restaurants" and "Search Restaurants" more distinct.

...What's your plan to deal with duplicates?...
I'll add a validation when saving a restaurant that there cannot be two restaurants of the same name at an airport. Duplicates will then be limited to misspellings. I've fixed the three duplicates already entered.

...you might want to make the difference between "Find Restaurants" and "Search Restaurants" more distinct...
Agreed. I wanted to use a few words on the navigation bar as possible. Suggestions?

I can't figure out how to generate a Google maps link that the site will accept.

Google Maps usually has restaurant hours. Do you mean a "breakfast all day" checkbox?
Google maps hours are usually wrong. Last Sunday we flew almost a hundred miles to find a closed resturant. Thanks goofle! Luckily the fbo had a crew car and we drove to another place. Don't rely on Google for hours.

google the restaurant in question, go to maps, copy link, paste link.
Okay, now tell me how to do it on a tablet that opens the gargle maps app which doesn't have an address bar to copy. Assume I'm an idiot. :)

Okay, now tell me how to do it on a tablet that opens the gargle maps app which doesn't have an address bar to copy. Assume I'm an idiot. :)

someone with a tablet should be able to help but there's probably 3 little dots to click on to get more options. iOS or android?

someone with a tablet should be able to help but there's probably 3 little dots to click on to get more options. iOS or android?
'droid. I'm a cheap idiot.

ETA:
There is a "share" link on the google maps app, but it appears to be designed for texting to someone. It includes the name and phone number in front of the web link. I stripped that info out, but the site wouldn't accept the remaining link.

Last edited:
'droid...

After you navigate in Google Maps to where you want, tap the URL. The screen will change and you'll see three buttons: share (a line w/ two segments), copy (two rectangles one overlayed on the other), edit (a pencil). Tap copy. Then go to the site, tap in the GM link edit box, and you'll have the option to paste.

Edit: the instructions above are if you're using a browser. If you're running the standalone GM app, click the share button. In the resulting popup, there will be a copy to clipboard option.

I liked airporteats.com until I saw it typed out. A little bit of a double entendre.

Back