Ocean City NJ 26N

Have been to Ocean city several times,not crazy about paying to sit on the beach. Nice video ,

Have been to Ocean city several times,not crazy about paying to sit on the beach. Nice video ,
I agree 100%. But unfortunately in my money hungry state of NJ many of them have a fee. I actually would have thought the sand/beach quality would be better. A ton of sea shells lined the shore line and would hurt your feet.

Last edited:
I agree 100%. But unfortunately in my money hungry state of NJ many of them have a fee. I actually would have thought the sand/beach quality would be better. A tone of sea shells lined the shore line and would hurt your feet.
I suspect many NJ beaches charge for beach tags because many people day trip from Philly and NJ suburbs and spend very little in terms of meals or accommodations.

I suspect many NJ beaches charge for beach tags because many people day trip from Philly and NJ suburbs and spend very little in terms of meals or accommodations.
Probably. But if there's anything about jersey, the gov. Is an expert at knowing how to extract as much money from you as possible.

Actually the beach tag money goes to maintain the beach, some towns like Brigantine do better than others, pay for life guards etc. Its a lot better than some North Jersey towns like Pt. Pleasant where the beach is free but the access points are privatly owned and boy do you pay to access. Of course if you come in from a boat its free because you don't use the privately owned access point.

Actually the beach tag money goes to maintain the beach, some towns like Brigantine do better than others, pay for life guards etc. Its a lot better than some North Jersey towns like Pt. Pleasant where the beach is free but the access points are privatly owned and boy do you pay to access. Of course if you come in from a boat its free because you don't use the privately owned access point.
Understood. In many areas that are not day trip beach destinations, a portion of occupancy taxes go towards beach maintenance, lifeguards, beach nourishment, etc. My point was that since many beach goers in NJ are day trippers, they don’t pay occupancy taxes, so the communities sell beach tags to make up that tax revenue. I spent my first 20 years of existence going to my grandparents beach house on the shore just south of Ocean City in the town of Strathmere, one of the few south Jersey beach communities that did not require beach tags.

Nowadays we spend our time on the Outer Banks, we’re the concept of beach tags are unheard of. That said, the NPS started requiring permits for vehicles on the beach about 10 years ago and people are still griping. Either way, none of the beaches cost a penny to walk out on.

For the cheapskates out there, go to the Ocean City beaches after 5 pm, or after Labor Day. Then you won't have to pay.
For what it's worth, they will hit you for $5 a day, $10 per week, if you buy on the beach, but you can get a full season beach tag for $20 by May 31 and can order online. And they are free to veterans and active military.
Jon

First time flying there with the family last Saturday. We had a great time. Been driving to Jersey beaches for years. It was nice to not be forced to have someone pump gas for me and steal my credit card number this time. 92B4C1CC-4AC8-4224-B9E2-34F19C247A58.jpeg

We fly from W29 (Bay Bridge) to 26N often. It's about an hour flight, usually right over the top of Dover AFB. There's a right pattern for runway 24 and the Atlantic City Class C just north of the airport. There is a large cooling tower to the northwest, which makes a great VFR landmark to find the airport amidst all the houses. The afternoon sea breeze can make it kind of swirly to land there and as you depart in the afternoon there's some bumpiness as the sea breeze hits a west or northwest flow. There is a parking fee at the airport but not much for someone burning $8.00/gal fuel.

We walk to the beach, then up to the boardwalk; not far for fit people or those not having to push a stroller or two. Sometimes we take our foldable bikes and ride up to the boardwalk.

Those beach fees keep the beach nice and clean and it's groomed regularly too. Given the number of people there, there's practically no trash.

The airport is a gem and probably the best beach access in this area besides going down to the outer banks. The outer bank beaches are on my bucket list and looking forward to visiting them this summer/fall.

Is the restaurant still closed?

Is the restaurant still closed?

My family loves Uncle Bill’s Pancake House for breakfast. It’s a short walk from 26N. I haven’t been to Flight Deck Diner, yet, but I hear it has great food.

We flew the Hatz down to Ocean City today. My wife had the camper near Eagles Nest airport, and I flew down from Connecticut yesterday to meet her.. She wanted to go to Ike's on the boardwalk for crab cakes, so we made the 20 minute flight. Beautiful day, only her second time in the plane Took an Uber, the restaurant was too far north on the boardwalk to walk. A stroll on the boardwalk, uber back, an easy flight back, now relaxing at the campground.

Great spot! KWWD is also an amazing place to stop and is just a bit further down the coast of NJ. Flight Deck Diner has great food and the Naval Air Station museum is right on the field as well!

Great spot! KWWD is also an amazing place to stop and is just a bit further down the coast of NJ. Flight Deck Diner has great food and the Naval Air Station museum is right on the field as well!
That is definitely on our list to do. We almost made it to wwd 1 day , but then continued to OXB because my wife's friends were there

Stopped at the flight deck diner on my way south to Florida ,couldn’t even get close ,the food must be good judging on the wait. It’s on my list for the spring trip north.

Stopped at the flight deck diner on my way south to Florida ,couldn’t even get close ,the food must be good judging on the wait. It’s on my list for the spring trip north.
You certainly have to get there early.

Back