How to seaplane pilots do run ups?

As one of those land pilots that take a long time, most of the time is taken by carefully going over the preflight checklist as first flight of the day. If I took items out of the usual flow, and do what I can while at the tie down, which I mostly do to set up for IFR flight plans in the navigator and other items, the pure run up portion could take less time. But it is easy to miss a peek at vacuum, enunciators, volts, load on heated pitot, turning on landing lights, etc during the haste- not a good practice generally for future long trouble free flying. No experience with seaplanes, but I’d expect to use a modified checklist on a regular basis to take in consideration to usual need for run up on the go.

As one of those land pilots that take a long time, most of the time is taken by carefully going over the preflight checklist as first flight of the day. If I took items out of the usual flow, and do what I can while at the tie down, which I mostly do to set up for IFR flight plans in the navigator and other items, the pure run up portion could take less time. But it is easy to miss a peek at vacuum, enunciators, volts, load on heated pitot, turning on landing lights, etc during the haste- not a good practice generally for future long trouble free flying. No experience with seaplanes, but I’d expect to use a modified checklist on a regular basis to take in consideration to usual need for run up on the go.
I think you are picturing a "haste" that's isn't there. That sounds like an organizational issue. I never make haste in my runup. Same flow and check every time. But I have made what you are apparently doing only for IFR - do what I can do at the tiedown - more universal.

I reworked my checklists so the runup is a discrete task that rather than part of a longer "before takeoff" segment that needs to be done where I am not blasting others with an rpm increase. Tasks whuch are not part of that have been moved to "after start" or "before takeoff" segments. A side benefit is that essential before takeoff tasks are not missed just because a runup isn't done.

BTW, I don't really care how long your runup is, so long as you are not blocking others (especially me :D)

Last edited:
I do more rolling runups in the winter. Ice and snow prevent a stationary runup. I also do a mag and carb heat check at low rpm waiting for oi temps to come up.

No need to do all of that during the run up.

Run up should be:
Crank up the RPM
Check to make sure everything is green
Check Mag 1
Both Mags
Check Mag 2
Both Mags
Cycle Prop (check oil pressure/MP/RPM)
Carb Heat
Back to Idle
Done.

No need to be doing everything in bold while blasting away at 1800-2000 RPM.

Last edited:
I think you are picturing a "haste" that's isn't there. That sounds like an organizational issue. I never make haste in my runup. Same flow and check every time. But I have made what you are apparently doing only for IFR - do what I can do at the tiedown - more universal.

I reworked my checklists so the runup is a discrete task that rather than part of a longer "before takeoff" segment that needs to be done where I am not blasting others with an rpm increase. Tasks whuch are not part of that have been moved to "after start" or "before takeoff" segments. A side benefit is that essential before takeoff tasks are not missed just because a runup isn't done.

BTW, I don't really care how long your runup is, so long as you are not blocking others (especially me :D)
Good suggestions. You picked up on my conflation of the long run up that includes subsequent checklist items afterward instead of the strict runup portion, which is relatively short (ie no blasting after runup, only potentially blocking your path:rolleyes:). However, for a first flight of the day and maybe every one, that short run up while at 1800-2000 rpm should include a glance at the vacuum gauge(if needed), your enunciators, fuel pressure on and off boost, indicators of proper alternator output under load, besides the essential mag and carburetor heat function, and prop checks, especially for IFR

But relating this to the seaplane situation, the demands are likely to be different with conditions likely VFR and runway potentially not as much a limiting factor as one can take off, if not in the soup, and land or circle back. Here the basic run up serves the purpose of getting you on your way, (unless at a busy sea base where repairs can easily be made) as you can always check the ancillaries in the air under reasonable power. As Akbill reminds us in his comment about ice, you take what you’re given even if suboptimal.

Last edited:
However, for a first flight of the day and maybe every one, that short run up while at 1800-2000 rpm should include a glance at the vacuum gauge(if needed), your enunciators, fuel pressure on and off boost, indicators of proper alternator output under load, besides the essential mag and carburetor heat function, and prop checks, especially for IFR
First or last flight of the day, the runup should include those. Runup is not a "mag check." It's an "essential systems" check (although I moved the alternator check to the after startup before taxi phase years ago.

Most guys that fly multiple short legs do a full run-up on the first flight but not on subsequent flights. Me? I don’t do a run-up on a warm engine that I just flew. That applies even more for float ops. Do a run-up on a fast moving river in limited space or with boats moving around? It doesn’t happen.

Most guys that fly multiple short legs do a full run-up on the first flight but not on subsequent flights. Me? I don’t do a run-up on a warm engine that I just flew. That applies even more for float ops. Do a run-up on a fast moving river in limited space or with boats moving around? It doesn’t happen.
I might do an abbreviated runup with short legs. I still want to know that the mag check is good and that indications are appropriate. Especially if density altitude is a factor (leaning for appropriate power in NA airplane).

Back