Destin fly-in, weekend of 8/26-8/28

Mahneuvers

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Mahneuvers
I will be in Destin, FL at the end of August and offered some of the SE POA peeps a place to stay for a short notice fly-in the weekend of 8/26-8/28. My wife, surprisingly, agreed to open our place to random pilots. I'm sure she'll regret that decision in particular b/c one commit is @eman1200 who already suggested something about convincing my wife she should leave me :) My place is almost full but there are tons of places available as this is the transition season so availability and prices are better. I'd be happy to try to find owners willing to rent other condos possibly at a discount. There's golf, fishing, lying on the beach etc. so there'e everything for everyone. I've offered to provide shuttle service from DTS so long as that's not all I'm doing all weekend. My place is here but there are a million places close by.

Last edited:
I'm not charging those staying w/ me. I'll let you know if a space becomes available. Since you've visited Mirimar before, I suggest checking where you last stayed for availability, making a refundable reservation, and then see if others jump onto this thread willing to split the cost.

If anyone is interested, reply to this thread with a mention to me, and I’ll get something together based on demand.

Pretty much everything but golf.

Annndddd.... a quick field trip flight one afternoon for some fantastic Apalachicola bay oysters...

There's golf. My response was b/c @eman1200 is a apparently a big golfer :)

There's pretty much everything you might want to do at the beach. I'm not a fisherman, but, apparently Destin started it's life as a sleepy fishing town b/c the "shelf" is so close to shore. I've gone out on party fishing before, but, I'n not a fan of the red snapper which is pretty much all you catch. I've always wanted to go out on a charter boat where they catch mahi mahi, cobia etc., but, it's pretty pricey.

I am in!!! But I already live here. Maybe I can meet up one night for dinner. Note, no Apalachicola bay oysters. Bay has been closed since hurricane Michael. Snapper season will be closed, so you will be catching other fish. If you don't like deep sea fishing, there is great inshore fishing charters. Also site seeing and dolphin cruises. Pontoon and Jet ski rentals. Look up Crab Island. Its a party all to itself! Great golf courses. But you can play golf anywhere, enjoy the white sandy beaches and emerald green water (Hence the Emerald Coast). If anyone needs any info on flying into DTS, a part 93 airspace, Let me know.

not a fan of the red snapper which is pretty much all you catch

...like, you'll catch your limit in the first 20 minutes of red snapper. Good thing I love red snapper.

There's pretty much everything you might want to do at the beach. I'm not a fisherman, but, apparently Destin started it's life as a sleepy fishing town b/c the "shelf" is so close to shore. I've gone out on party fishing before, but, I'n not a fan of the red snapper which is pretty much all you catch. I've always wanted to go out on a charter boat where they catch mahi mahi, cobia etc., but, it's pretty pricey.
I've caught vermillion snapper, red snapper, triggerfish, and spanish mackeral in the gulf. Mahi is my favorite, but the rest are pretty good, too.

Not sure I’ll be in the area ,will keep it on my mind.

Going into the shop for a new AP in a week. Questionable that it will be done by then. Otherwise I’d be a definite maybe.

I will try to either fly in or drive over either Saturday or Sunday for a while. Only about a 1:15 drive from Panama City for me if traffic isn’t awful. Hopefully the weather cooperates as well.

Let me know if people are up for renting a pontoon boat for a half day to hit crab island.

Where can you go crabbing in Destin?

Most Blue Crabs are located along the rock jetties at East Pass near Holiday Isle, near the grassy flats in shallow waters of Choctawhatchee Bay and halfway across the jetty park beside the long Route 331 bridge that connects Santa Rosa Beach to Freeport. If you're out on the bay, you may see the crabs in shallow swimming pool clear water when the tide is coming in. You need a pole with a net attached to the end to scoop them out of the water and into a bucket when you see them. You may rent a pontoon boat for such an adventure at Harborwalk Village and receive a discount as our Ocean Reef guest. Onshore you may use the simple Line Method. Tie a chicken neck or back onto the end of a long string and toss it in the water near the shore. Leave the line at ease until you see it moving away. Slowly pull the line back to shore, see the crab or crabs attached to the meat and then scoop them up with your net and into the bucket. Some people will buy and use wire box traps but these may be expensive for casual use, and you may only have five of them out in the water at any given time. Otherwise, there is no limit to how many Blue Crabs you may catch but most people toss back females that have visible eggs or small ones.

Every time I've gone crabbing all I've caught is a sunburn, and maybe 5 crabs.

Every time I've gone crabbing all I've caught is a sunburn, and maybe 5 crabs.
In my youth we had a beach home on Panama City Beach. I spent about a month there every summer. Several times we caught the spawn of Speckled Crab and walked the surf line at night with a kitchen garbage can and a few scoop nets. It was easy to pick up 6-10doz in an hour or so. Most were egg laden females but there are no regulations concerning Speckled's so we kept all of the decent sized ones. My mother never complained but it was a lot of crabs for her to boil. I wonder if they can still be found?

I just started carbonating a home brew keg of NoDa CAVU. If it passes my high quality standards, I'll bring it to Destin :D

@eman1200 @ktup-flyer @Larry Wilkinson @frfly172 @Hang 4 @zayerpaul @Flocker

So it's about time to start watching the weather. The weather in Destin is typical Florida summer forecast for the next 10 days.

As of now, there's nothing scheduled event wise. When people start chiming in if/when they might arrive then we can solidify lunch, dinner or whatever.

@eman1200, @ktup-flyer , since you guys are staying with me, let me know as your plans solidify. DTS is only 15 minutes away. Feel free to arrive as early as Friday and depart as late as Sunday evening. Of course, you can stay longer if weather gets in the way. You do not need to bring anything.

@eman1200 @ktup-flyer @Larry Wilkinson @frfly172 @Hang 4 @zayerpaul @Flocker

So it's about time to start watching the weather. The weather in Destin is typical Florida summer forecast for the next 10 days.

As of now, there's nothing scheduled event wise. When people start chiming in if/when they might arrive then we can solidify lunch, dinner or whatever.

@eman1200, @ktup-flyer , since you guys are staying with me, let me know as your plans solidify. DTS is only 15 minutes away. Feel free to arrive as early as Friday and depart as late as Sunday evening. Of course, you can stay longer if weather gets in the way. You do not need to bring anything.

Do I have to wear clothes?

Now, I didn't specifically ask my wife that question, and she's running errands right now, so without having her opinion, but after 27 years of marriage, I'm pretty sure clothes are mandatory.

FlightsForBites.com is reporting no restaurants around Destin. What a crappy site.

Back