what are you hearing re: Garmin lead times now (Aug 1)?

Velvet_Hammer

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Velvet_Hammer
Subject line says it all. Is it getting better/worse? 6 months ago it was the GNX375 and 750's that were a long ways out....

I just had a GNC 355 installed a couple weeks ago. My lead time was over 6 months for the parts, then I waited another 5 months for the shop to get me in.

Not particularly relevant, but a couple of months ago I was involved in ordering some hardware necessary to set up a network at a new European lab. Cisco estimates we'll have it next June.
Lenovo was quoting 180 days for the laptops and PCs.

Subject line says it all. Is it getting better/worse? 6 months ago it was the GNX375 and 750's that were a long ways out....

I noticed that Spruce has expected shipping dates - for whatever that's worth - in the December range for a lot of Garmin experimental stuff. My local shop had quoted between 4-6 months for transponders and navigators when I asked about a month ago.

Spoke with a vendor at Oshkosh. Experimental G5's are on the shelf, G460's (the 10" touch screens) are on the shelf. The ADHARS is on backorder and you need one for the 460 if you want it as a flight instrument (not just a map).

I never thought Avionics would have lead times similar to hanger space. Yikes. So I might buy a plane in 3 years. Should I order the avionics now? What happens if what I order is replaced by a newer version by the time they catch up? (GTN 655? or something?) "Sorry, we no longer support the widget that we just shipped you. You'll need to buy the new thing that we'll ship in two years."

I have two 275s and a 355 on order since mid-May with an estimated date of mid-Nov. At OSH, Garmin was a sponsor for our group and came and gave us a pep talk about how things were improving and waits were shortening. I asked him about my stuff and he chilled his molars and said mid-November sounded right. I asked again in their booth and got the same.

“Chilled his molars” is going into my book of cool new phrases. For the win

I was supposed to fly across town this morning to pickup my buddy after dropping off his airplane at the avionics shop for a 255 radio install but didn't because the radio did not come in. It was ordered back in March along with 650 GPS,I275and GMA345 audio panel. The GPS, I275 and audio panel came in in July and they installed those 3 but the radio was not supposed to ship until Aug2. The avionics shop says now Garmin is saying Sept 23 for the radio to ship.
So the radio is going to take 7 months to get if it comes in in Sept.

Back in 2018 I had the same work done to my plane and it took less than a week to get everything including a GFC500. Boy times have changed for the worse.

Last edited:
A little thread drift here, with apologies, but rather than start a new "lead time" thread, does anyone have any idea about the lead times for a JPI 900 (6 cylinder/2 tanks).

A little thread drift here, with apologies, but rather than start a new "lead time" thread, does anyone have any idea about the lead times for a JPI 900 (6 cylinder/2 tanks).

I ordered a 900 (4cyl / 2 tank) for a customer January 14 and it shipped March 4th. Things may have improved by now, but that’s the most recent data point I have.

Thanks for the responses. Sounds like the wait is what it is…

Last July, I ordered (through avionics shop) a G3X and gfc500 for whole panel uograde in my Comanche. Delivery was supposed to be December, pushed back to Feb, then April, now expected 6/23. :-(

Last July, I ordered (through avionics shop) a G3X and gfc500 for whole panel uograde in my Comanche. Delivery was supposed to be December, pushed back to Feb, then April, now expected 6/23. :-(

I mentioned this in another thread.... My Avshop ordered my 10" G3X and GFC-500 about 6 weeks ago and the stuff arrived in less time than that. He has everything except for the GNC-225 radio.

Consider having a chat with the shop.

EDIT: I may have gotten a bit lucky. Garmin marketing is now quoting 4 months for G3X

Last edited:
FWIW, it's all of them. Dynon quoted me 5 months for a 10" Skyveiw HDX display when building a quote for a customer. Even in the E/AB world, there's a significant delay. GRT told me ~15 weeks for their 10" Horizon display.

As noted in #7 above, I had ordered a 355 and two 275's last May and was told they'd arrive mid-November. The 355 arrived in early October, I believe, and the 275's both came in in November. One of the 275's failed its battery test and Garmin said to send the whole unit back for a new one. That added about 6 weeks to the process.

My sense is the 275's in particular are still in very high demand and taking a while, especially for the AI and HSI versions (basically, the configuration that allows one to dump their vacuum system and connect to legacy APs).

I ordered a GFC500 4 servo for my Mooney end of July 2022 at OSH, it arrived middle of Jan 2023.

Back