Should I get a Beechcraft Musketeer?

Chad Lindsey

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Chad Lindsey
Hello all,

I have been looking into a bunch of different planes to buy a for time building use and recently have come across a Musketeer that is in my price range. The problem that I have run into when looking into these small planes is I'm 6'6 and I'm never sure if I will fit or not. I have heard that the Musketeer is a roomier plane than most its size but I'm not sure if that is referring to the width or the height of the cabin. I was hoping some of you could give me some insight on what the planes are like to fly and how you think I would fit.

For reference I fit fine in a Cessna 172, the Grumman AA5 is tight but I fit, the Cherokee 140 is too small for me.

I was in the market for one and talked to a Beechcraft expert and he told me to stead clear as parts are hard to source

Why not just stick with what you know works and shop for a C172 or AA5?

I have a Beech Sundowner (newer version of the "Musketeer") that I let my sons use for training. They are 6'5" and 6'7" respectively.

These planes are huge, which is why my family likes them. Pilot's side door is also a huge plus. They are 10-15 knots slower than most any other 180hp fixed gear airplane, but you are so comfortable that you don't care. They are built like a tank and have the typical Beech quality in regard to design and build quality. They are relatively cheap compared to the same class of airplane from Cessna and Piper.

The have the Lycoming O-360 engine, which is a huge plus in my opinion. They are NOT hard to land - yes, they have the rubber donut landing gear like a Mooney, but as long as you don't deviate too far from the numbers they land great. And, after all, they are a training airplane so they are good to train a new pilot about maintaining the proper speed on short final and coming over the fence.

Go to https://www.beechaeroclub.org/bac-visitors/ as quick as you can - all the information that you will need is there.

I was in the market for one and talked to a Beechcraft expert and he told me to stead clear as parts are hard to source

I have owned mine for four years and definitely have not experienced that. My boys have flown the crap out of mine and gotten PPL, Instrument, and Commercial certificates with it. I do know that you don't want to go to Textron for parts unless absolutely necessary. They are very expensive. Available, but expensive. But hey, they own Beech and Cessna so that would be true of anything under those nameplates.

They are roomy and you should fit fine. As a time-builder, they are perfect. You won't win any speed contests, though. And you will hear your share of jokes about worrying about bird-strikes -- from behind.

Parts are not that bad. The engines are generally O-360s, so no worry there. The wheels and brakes are Cleveland, or have been converted to Cleveland, so no worry there. There are some parts that are 100% Unobtainium, but there is a very dedicated owners' group that shares and swaps parts. For example, there are air plenums right under the windshield. They were made of a plastic that, after 40 years, falls apart if you touch them. There is no source for those parts, as all the ones from salvage yards are in the same condition. But one fellow prints them with a 3D printer, and they are incredibly sturdy.

If your A&P is okay with owner-produced parts, things are much easier. We have a fellow in South Africa who makes the donuts for a fraction of the price of the Textron or other providers. In most cases, there are few parts available from Beech/Textron. But the boneyards have some of everything. Sometimes NOS shows up on eBay. I have had my Sundowner for 21 years, and I haven't had any problems sourcing parts.

Check out Beech Aero Club. They are adding several members a week.

Last edited:
Another consideration, to the OP, where do you live? Nice as they are (I'm a Beechcraft fan myself), the Sundowner/Musketeer/Sierra series are not good performers at high density altitudes.

I have owned a Sport since 1996 and find it a comfortable plane. The Sport is the 150hp version of the Sundowner. The Sport is underpowered IMHO. Pilot side door is a real plus. A friend of mine is your size and has no problems in the Sundowner. As pointed out above the Beech Areo Club is a good source of information, for the baby Beeches. They are built like a tank and with proper maintenance are not expensive to own. The shock discs for the gear take some time and experience to change. Most of the wear parts are standard hardware and can be purchased from many parts venders. A good time building plane.

The ones to definitely avoid are the 1965-66 Models A23 "Musketeer II" and A23A "Musketeer Custom III" with the now-orphaned Continental IO-346 engine. Newer and older Musketeers with Lycoming engines are fine.

Last edited:
I have owned my '67 Musketeer for 6 years now and absolutely love it. I've done a bunch of work on it - too much to mention here but suffice it to say there is not one thing on the plane that hasn't been gone over with a fine tooth comb. I even OH'd my "orphaned" IO-346 a few years back. Anyone who tells you parts are hard to find or they are hard to land is blowing smoke and probably haven't worked on one or landed one. They are great airplanes especially for us tall folk (I'm 6'3") and I'll happily trade a few knots for comfort. (BTW, I spent a lot of time getting my plane to fly straight and level hands off. Combine this with a CG on the aft side of things and I'll see 110kts in cruise.) These planes are definitely a sleeper in the market. The support and the people at beechaeroclub.org (the type club for these birds) is great.

If you can, try to get a ride in one. I think you'll be convinced.

My advice, don’t lock onto looking for one specific model. Especially if you have never flown one, and in your case sat in one for comfortable fit. You’re gonna get all sorts of opinions, but look at cessnas, pipers, beech, etc.

I bought my first plane, a C23 Sundowner, from a gentleman who was 6'6 and 360#.

They're roomy. Since your mission is time-building, the slow airframe is nearly a bonus. :D

The ones to definitely avoid are the 1965-66 Models A23 "Musketeer II" and A23A "Musketeer Custom III" with the now-orphaned Continental IO-346 engine. Newer and older Musketeers with Lycoming engines are fine.

Everyone says this, but in reality it doesn't make much difference. They're a nice running, smooth engine with decent power. Consumables, including cylinders are still available. The bottom end is solid. If the whole case/crank/cam boogeyman were true, I'd be able to sell the overhauled 346 I've had sitting on the shelf for years.

Yes. You should buy the Musketeer. I just bought mine and brought it home and I’m very pleased with it.
Do you still have it? A 66' A23-19 is on the market here in Canada (0-320, 1193 SMOH and 4515 TTSN). Any pros/cons you have? Thanks in advance

The -19 is under powered with the O-320. The Sundowner with the O-360 has a much better climb rate and the airframe is almost the same as the 19

Do you still have it? A 66' A23-19 is on the market here in Canada (0-320, 1193 SMOH and 4515 TTSN). Any pros/cons you have? Thanks in advance

Yes, still have it. Just completed the annual today, in fact. I’m quite happy with it.

But,....

Mine is a 1969 B23, basically a Sundowner without the second door. It has the O-360 engine, 180hp. As Bill says, the -19 is reputed to be a bit underpowered. I’ve never flown one so I can’t attest to that personally.

IMHO, the planes fly quite nicely. They have a solid feel, and feel like you’re flying a much bigger plane. Mine is very responsive to the controls and handles well. Landing speed is very important, and you need to get your approach nailed within a 5mph (not 5 knots) window. They’re a bit nose heavy but throwing some ballast into the luggage compartment helps a lot with landings.

Go fly it and see how you like it.

Yeah, you have to move fast in this market. Sorry you missed it. Good hunting!

Everyone says this, but in reality it doesn't make much difference. They're a nice running, smooth engine with decent power. Consumables, including cylinders are still available. The bottom end is solid. If the whole case/crank/cam boogeyman were true, I'd be able to sell the overhauled 346 I've had sitting on the shelf for years.
Do you still have the IO-346?

Back