So how do I get this cheeseburger everyone talks about?...

Pixieelf

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Pixieelf
Hello!
I recently passed my ppl checkride and I'm now looking to start venturing out for a quick lunch somewhere. I've obviously done cross country runs as part of training, and a couple since then, but never stopped at a remote airfield. So the question is... how do I do it?
I fly out of KRNT, and I'm thinking of renting a 172 for a quick flight down to KCLS for lunch at the golf course across the street. But do I just call the FBO and let them know I'm coming, and they will provide tiedowns and chocks? Or do I take my own?
I've seen other airfields that have restaurants on the field, and it looks like you just park out front, so I have similar questions for that sort of setup as well. Do I take my own stuff and just park it? Or arrange it in advance with 'someone' ?

Sorry if they are stupid questions, I figured I'd ask on a forum before cold-calling FBO's!

pick a place (sounds like u already have a few in mind) and fly there, land, eat, go home! It's a lot simpler than what's going on in your head right now. I suggest just going and you'll learn a lot the first time or two. check google maps so you can see where most of the GA planes are parked, or where the 'ramp' is, and depending on if it's staffed or not, you just park yourself or you could be guided into a spot. it's really easy. just go! :)

The challenge is finding where the transient parking is supposed to be -- and there doesn't seem to be one single source for it. Calling the FBO is a safe bet to get that delicious local tribal knowlege. You don't need to pre-arrange your arrival though, just rock up, say hi, and look for cookies to devour. Their first question will be whether or not you need fuel. If not, they may gig you with some sort of parking fee (unlikely at CLS though)

For example, I've been to CLS loads and had no idea there was a restaurant across the street. :D

If you do Friday Harbor, note the taxiways are "one way", parking is ample and easy, and the cafe on the airport is lame. Worth a walk into town to hit up the brewery.

Hello!
I recently passed my ppl checkride and I'm now looking to start venturing out for a quick lunch somewhere. I've obviously done cross country runs as part of training, and a couple since then, but never stopped at a remote airfield. So the question is... how do I do it?
I fly out of KRNT, and I'm thinking of renting a 172 for a quick flight down to KCLS for lunch at the golf course across the street. But do I just call the FBO and let them know I'm coming, and they will provide tiedowns and chocks? Or do I take my own?
I've seen other airfields that have restaurants on the field, and it looks like you just park out front, so I have similar questions for that sort of setup as well. Do I take my own stuff and just park it? Or arrange it in advance with 'someone' ?

Sorry if they are stupid questions, I figured I'd ask on a forum before cold-calling FBO's!

Currently googling RNT and CLS to see if they're anywhere I'd know about - hang on... ummm....

Oh - you're in Washington State.

Try this link: the information can be dated. There's another thread about improving upon this.

http://www.fly2lunch.com/results.php?apt=RNT&radius=200&onApt=1

As far as the arranging-in-advance stuff - ummmm...... no. I mean if you want to you sure can. It's generally not necessary unless you're needing special accommodations such as a crew car or (??).

Airports all have transient parking, and most all have ropes and/or chocks lying around. If you want to be sure, you can certainly bring your own. I keep a set in the back of my plane, but I've never seen a rental with more than a wheel chock in the rear.

GoogleEarth the airport if you'd like to get an idea of the layout and exactly where you might be parking.

This'll become second-nature soon enough.

i always picked out the FBO where i'd be parking before leaving. my experience was that FBOs usually monitor the CTAF and/or ground so when the tower asked where i was parking or at an untowered field i'd indicate the FBO i was heading to and by the time i arrived a line guy was out and directing me where to park. as long as i bought fuel there was no parking fee and i liked full tanks anyway (plus, as a renter i was reimbursed for fuel). a phone call to the FBO wouldn't hurt. one on-field restaurant KBMI) had it's own parking area.

Last edited:
As far as the arranging-in-advance stuff - ummmm...... no. I mean if you want to you sure can. It's generally not necessary
Yeah and if you call ahead at one of the greasy spoon restaurants that are found at a lot of airports and ask about arrangements beforehand, they might think you’re a little special. ;)

To simplify, you literally land, taxi up and find a place to park and then eat, then you do the reverse when you’re done :). There’s a restaurant at LZU I go to fairly often and it doesn’t have any tie-downs out front that I can recall, so I just assert dominance and park RIGHT in front of it. “Hey look, it’s that kid with an Archer again.” :D

Most of the places I've flows really don't care much what you do. If it's towered or has a fancy FBO they will let you know what to do.
Otherwise just park wherever seems logical and walk inside.

But do I just call the FBO and let them know I'm coming, and they will provide tiedowns and chocks?
No need to call, as others have already said. Any FBO should have chocks for you. Tie-downs is more hit & miss, but if you are parking only for a couple of hours (for a meal), you should not have to worry about tie-downs unless it's really windy.

- Martin

You can always call ahead if getting the information up front makes you more comfortable. You'll probably find yourself doing that less often over time, as you get more comfortable landing at new airports.

The exception might be if the airport is in a high-rent district, and/or the FBO is Signature or Atlantic, in which case you might always want to call ahead to get a sense of what their eye-watering fee structure might be.

Thank you all for the advice and the info. I appreciate it. It gives me an idea of what to expect and a little more confidence about it.

but if you are parking only for a couple of hours (for a meal), you should not have to worry about tie-downs unless it's really windy.
:yeahthat:

That said, if I expect to tie down I bring my own ropes. Most airports have them, but some are pretty scary.

Agree with all the responses above.

This is why I take my students on a cross country that involves stopping at a restaurant.
The day after I did my PPL checkride, I had to drag my CFI out to cover things I felt like they "missed" - like Self-serve refueling! So I totally get it.

I'm just glad he didn't refer to it as the hundred dollar hamburger. Doesn't really work anymore :(

Lots of good advice here. My only recommendation is to do it. If you get confused or need help, ask.

I really wish all instructors would do as edfred does but I suspect some instructors don't know what to do either.

Working toward CFI and that idea of a "lunch stop cross country" is a great idea. There are a number of restaurants at fields just outside of that magic 50nm ring for us and there is a lot you can talk about that way. Parking at unfamiliar airports, navigating/using taxi diagrams, and then of course, debriefing the previous flight and briefing the next is way more comfortable over a good meal. Takes the "stress" out of it for the student.

To the OP, as these guys have said, it seems intimidating until you do it and you realize it's not that scary. It's just a cross country minus the touch and go. This is the part where you get to ENJOY flying. Enjoy the flight there, enjoy a new airport, enjoy a good meal, if you take your wife/SO/dad/mom, you can enjoy good conversation, and then you get to enjoy another flight back. My biggest piece of advice is this: Don't always go to the same restaurant. You may find that CLS has phenomenal food (idk, I'm east coast). If that's the case, great. Put that one in your keep bag and try some other ones. Some may go in the keep bag, others in the "once was enough" bag. The more you fly, the more comfortable you'll become and you may venture into some tighter spots (ie. Instead of that 140'x5000' towered field, you might find a gem at a field that's only 60'x3400') expanding your options even further.

Bottom line, don't let this stress you out. This is the fun part of flying. I'm not saying don't take it seriously, or don't prepare, but don't stress. You got this! You worked hard to earn that PPL, now go use it!

566d8634c995f8c67dbd218645c06c21.jpg

This is why I take my students on a cross country that involves stopping at a restaurant.
I wish I could "like" that more than once.

Seems to me a "world of aviation" should be a very early lesson, maybe even pre solo. Land somewhere, get lunch, see what's in the hangars, visit the FBO. It might help to motivate a new student while teaching him things he really should know.

stop "calling FBOs". leave those poor people alone. I don't think I've ever called one for any reason at all (ok, maybe once but I stopped early on). I did email at least one because after using google earth to try to find where the fuel pumps were (ahem), I couldn't so I emailed a screenshot of google maps and asked if they were where I had circled and thought they were, to which I got a reply of 'yes'.

most of the times it's blatantly obvious where you should park (not always, I get it...) and most of the times fees are posted in one of the GA pilot apps. stop calling and bothering these people with silly questions.

KCLS....hhhhmmmm, I wonder where airplanes park........

upload_2022-8-11_20-17-51.png

KCLS....hhhhmmmm, I wonder where airplanes park........
Given how fondly many here talk about Harbor Freight, I would guess the upper right hand corner? Food and booze would also be a draw.

Given how fondly many here talk about Harbor Freight, I would guess the upper right hand corner? Food and booze would also be a draw.

did the OP mention harbor freight? he said the restaurant next to the golf course, which is right next to that area thingy where all those thingies that resemble airplanes are parked:

upload_2022-8-11_20-40-37.png

did the OP mention harbor freight? he said the restaurant next to the golf course, which is right next to that area thingy where all those thingies that resemble airplanes are parked:

View attachment 109593
Those are airplanes? I thought those were holes in the air where you throw money. :goofy:

To clarify, I should state that yes, I can see where the FBO is, and I can see where the planes are parked. But having never done it yet, I didn’t want to head that way without having any idea whether I needed to take my own equipment to secure the aircraft.

I think you should be warned that it is typically a $100 hamburger - not a cheeseburger - and the extra cheese will probably cost you dearly nowadays. ;)

To clarify, I should state that yes, I can see where the FBO is, and I can see where the planes are parked. But having never done it yet, I didn’t want to head that way without having any idea whether I needed to take my own equipment to secure the aircraft.

Ropes and chocks are easy enough to bring. I have ropes in the plane and have had to use them once or twice ever. I’ve personally never brought chocks anywhere but wished I had them a coupl’a times. If this is just a lunch run and it’s not windy I wouldn’t worry about it but for an overnighter I’d consider both.

Back