Why wait til a rocker is gone...

455 Bravo Uniform

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
455 Bravo Uniform
I get bummed when I learn of the passing of my favorite band members or singers, and I usually find out about it here so I figured I’d make a happy post about one that’s still around and rocks. Let’s appreciate this 70+ year old rocker...enjoy!

News of singer Ann Wilson’s death spread quickly earlier this week causing concern among fans across the world. However the August 2022 report has now been confirmed as a complete hoax and just the latest in a string of fake celebrity death reports. Thankfully, Heart lead singer is alive and well.

I wasn't sure where this thread was going. I was expecting a debate on oil.

232511074042-2__30155.1613497512.jpg

Ann and Nancy tie for 1st place among my favorite lady rockers. (Number 2 would be Stevie Nix followed closely by Joan Jett.)

Glad to hear Ann is fine. What an amazing voice.

I am seeing Metallica in (scenic??) Pittsburg this weekend for this reason. They have been playing for 40 years and have nothing left to accomplish. So I am trying to see them as much as possible now while they are still able to tour.

A bunch of years ago my wife drug me to see Billy Joel and Elton John together...
I got a kick out of the idea of these old guys on stage entertaining all us grey hairs out in the audience... otherwise I can't say I really enjoyed the show

More recently, maybe 3 years ago I think it was, we went to see the B-52's...that one I enjoyed. They still sounded good! I think Kate was up into her 70's then.

I got to see ZZ Top a few years back. Fantastic show.

Saw Foo Fighters years ago and those guys are performers. A damn shame Taylor Hawkins passed. I think I'm going to the tribute show in September. A ton of others will be there.

Modern concerts aren't the same. So many are terrible live because of the reliance on computers to make the sound. Grohl had a fantastic documentary about Sound City and that topic.

Jason Bonham on drums for Stairway to Heaven with Heart. Bonham in a Stern interview said Plant had just said they should have invited Jason when he came out.

Modern concerts aren't the same. So many are terrible live because of the reliance on computers to make the sound. Grohl had a fantastic documentary about Sound City and that topic.
I've seen that documentary and I liked it. I think that small- to medium-venue sound has improved significantly in recent years, and I think a lot of that is due to the improvement of stage monitors and affordable in-ear monitors improving the ability of the performers to hear themselves onstage.

Finally seeing Man...or Astro-Man? next week unless civilization collapses again. The Toasters were pretty good last month, and I'm hopeful for The Descendants in Sept. Not exactly the 'old rockers' of this thread but I'm on board.

Nauga,
and a saucer full of sucrets

So many are terrible live because of the reliance on computers to make the sound...

I think that small- to medium-venue sound has improved significantly in recent years...
I think maybe I misinterpreted your comment...I agree that nontraditional instruments and arrangements are hard to pull off live; OTOH I think that problem has been around for decades, with overdubbing, weird ranges, orchestral arrangements, choirs, etc. dating back farther than just 'computers.'

That being said, earlier this summer I saw a Queen tribute band with backed by the local symphony and it was very well done, far better than I was expecting.

Nauga,
who has been band

I meant overproduction sounds good on the radio, but generally leads to awful live acts. No need to hone the craft. And you don't need to sound anything like the recording to have a good live performance.

Last edited:
I meant overproduction sounds good on the radio, but generally leads to awful live acts.
I get what you're saying, but I think overproduction sounds bad on recordings. Overproduction has been around for decades, not limited to the advent of computers and digital effects in recording. It's really not a word I associate with most of the live music I seek out, so I really haven't formed an opinion on how it affects live performances, but I expect we'd agree on that point. :D

And you don't need to sound anything like the recording to have a good live performance.
Louder and faster, boys, louder and faster. ;) I will say I hate it when bands rearrange, or in today-speak 'reinterpret' one of my favorite songs live.

Nauga,
lo-fi

I get what you're saying, but I think overproduction sounds bad on recordings. Overproduction has been around for decades, not limited to the advent of computers and digital effects in recording. It's really not a word I associate with most of the live music I seek out, so I really haven't formed an opinion on how it affects live performances, but I expect we'd agree on that point. :D

Louder and faster, boys, louder and faster. ;) I will say I hate it when bands rearrange, or in today-speak 'reinterpret' one of my favorite songs live.

Nauga,
lo-fi
I definitely think we agree.

One of my favorite Foo Fighters songs Stacked Actors, I actually enjoy the live versions of better... mainly because it's louder and faster live.

I will state that Metallica sounds better live than recorded. Godsmack, also. Some bands do fall into that trap of sounding great recorded, but fall short when heard live. Greta Van Fleet (Van Lepplin as some people call them), are one of those. Each member is trying to out play the other, or play longer it seems.

I think sometimes when recording they try to hard....get extra backup musicians and stuff like that. ruins their "natural" sound.

We have a couple of venues where older rockers come to perform. Seeing Sting in September. Probably go see Styx and REO in September. Saw Jewel, Blues traveler, Train and also Skynyrd about a month ago. These older acts are still touring, many with most or all original members and most sound really good. Get out and see them.

Back