Student pilot insurance

jbarrass

Cleared for Takeoff
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
jbarrass
Had a great surprise yesterday.

My son just hit 16, is a student pilot with 15 hours so far (That's him in my profile pic). I thought I'd see what it would cost to add him to my aviation insurance policy (AA-1A, USAIG, 1M smooth, 20K hull). After seeing what USAA tried to do to him on the car earlier in the day I was holding my breath.

They got back to me in a few hours. For a year, it was only $500, only restriction was flights had to be approved by a CFI (already required for students) until he gets his PP.

Very reasonable me thinks.

Only mildly related: you may want to up your hull on your AA-1A. I recently sold my AA-1C and I don't think you could replace the AA-1A in this market for $20K.

Actually related, thanks for the datapoint, is interesting to know it's not too expensive.

Only mildly related: you may want to up your hull on your AA-1A. I recently sold my AA-1C and I don't think you could replace the AA-1A in this market for $20K.

Fair enough, similar planes are selling for mid 30's. (I paid 19K before the runup). Honestly, I've been considering dropping the hull insurance entirely, but it's so cheap, I don't think about it much.

Back