Person jumps from aircraft landing at RDU

That's SERIOUSLY Funny. Someone calling @Mtns2Skies by a name that's two-generations off.

Sigh.....

I got a good laugh out of it. Pretty pathetic but nine out of ten times I hear that phrase it’s misused and kinda pathetic.

listen, i'm not a pilot and there's no need to disparage me. i just enjoy aviation. i live very close to camp lejuene so i see some interesting ones. that CASA has flown over my house several times. i've seen it drop marines out the back. i have some pilot friends and aviation geek friends. i was just trying to pass some information on that you all might not have heard yet and obviously some of you hadn't. being that i was new to the site, i couldn't post the link, even copying it as plain text. to be honest, i despise getting email. just ask my mother, i never read or respond to hers either. i just wanted one of you to ask for it to get it here. but what's done is done. i will strive to be less helpful in the future. stay high, CJ

When an incident happens, if there's a recording of the radio traffic, a couple sites usually have found the audio within a week. It's all they do and they're pretty quick. This incident is very bizarre and none of those sites have come up with anything so far.

Then all of a sudden there's a recording on a streaming music site? And it's posted here by someone who just created their account.

If you don't see that as peculiar, then go ask your mom to explain it to you. I'd email the explanation to you but, you know...

SHADY02: “No, the dude literally jumped out of the back of the plane without a parachute.”

SHADY02: “No, I need to land, I’m just making you aware you’re gonna have a dead body out where I just called you at. He just jumped out the back of the plane.”

Not gonna listen so can't comment on tone of voice. But just based on the transcript, he was fully aware of the unusual nature of events and desired to communicate them to someone else.

You can never really predict how someone will react to extreme circumstances.

I was once in proximity to a mass shooting. In the immediate aftermath, as I moved towards the event to figure out what was going on, I encountered a dead body laying on the grass. The top of his skull was missing and his fully intact brain was about a foot away. It turned out to be the shooter, but I did not know that at the time. I looked down at the guy, looked at his brain, and said "dude, you are gonna need that."

RIP Gary Parker.

Last edited:
I was a fireman and paramedic in my younger days...keeping a cool head is a good idea most of the time.

I was a fireman and paramedic in my younger days...keeping a cool head is a good idea most of the time.
I was, as well.

6pfzzr.jpg

Although this is a disjointed and odd thread based on an unusual and disturbing event, if you put the pieces together, there is no more mystery unless you ask why the copilot decided to jump.

So knowing that you lost part of your landing gear in this airplane, what exactly might one expect to see by hanging out into the slipstream that would have any effect on anything prior to coming to a stop on landing?

“oh, the gear leg is gone in addition to the wheel. I won’t need to tighten my seatbelt for this emergency landing”???

So knowing that you lost part of your landing gear in this airplane, what exactly might one expect to see by hanging out into the slipstream that would have any effect on anything prior to coming to a stop on landing?

“oh, the gear leg is gone in addition to the wheel. I won’t need to tighten my seatbelt for this emergency landing”???
Yeah, that was my thought as well...the level of damage to the gear would be: slight, moderate, severe...ok, so what good is knowing that other than just "damaged". If someone tells me my gear is damaged, do I give a dang that it meets the level of moderate?

I do not believe he was inspecting the gear. However, for the sake of discussion, if a person were to do that, maybe to see if the entire gear was gone up to the sponson or if there was any piece of it remaining that would interfere with or dig in upon landing.

Might well be that the NTSB will close this case with “reasons unknown”.

Might well be that the NTSB will close this case with “reasons unknown”.

You are probably correct, unless the pilot is able to give definitive information. His statements may become part of the factual/final report.

However, for the sake of discussion, if a person were to do that, maybe to see if the entire gear was gone up to the sponson or if there was any piece of it remaining that would interfere with or dig in upon landing.
But that knowledge would do nothing to change the landing.

I dunno. If the strut was still there I might think of maybe choosing pavement instead of turf/dirt so it doesn't dig in. If the strut is gone, then maybe the softer surface. Or not, I dunno, just a thought.

I'm not saying you are wrong, but we do the same thing if we don't get three green lights. We fly by the tower or airport low level so someone can take a look. Doesn't change the outcome, you still have to come down sometime.

I'm not saying you are wrong, but we do the same thing if we don't get three green lights. We fly by the tower or airport low level so someone can take a look. Doesn't change the outcome, you still have to come down sometime.
If retractable gear fails to extend or indicate, you might choose to land gear up depending upon what they see from the ground. That option doesn’t exist with this one.:dunno:

SIC fell off the ramp trying to look at the damage
That is the Occam's razor answer, to be sure. But as we've seen in the last few years, every possibility remains on the table until proven otherwise.

Sometimes Occam (aka William of Ockham) should grow a beard. Simplicity and likelihood are not necessarily synonymous.

I think Occam's answer in this case is that the co-pilot ran out the back of the aircraft, since that is what the sole eyewitness reports.
Any other theory assumes two pilots agreed to some course of action that wouldn’t really make sense, and that the sole eyewitness is lying.

...since that is what the sole eyewitness reports.

I'm not sure if we even know if it was an 'eyewitness' account, or an 'earwitness' or if the pilot reported what he assumed had to have happened.

Forgive me if the pilot did say he saw with his own eyes...the thread is long and I'm sure I haven't read every post in it.

Quick Transcript:

SHADY02: “Raleigh Approach, Shady zero-two”
RDU App: “Shady zero-two, Raleigh”
SHADY02: “My copilot just ran out the back of the plane”
RDU App: “You say what now?”
SHADY02: “He just ran out the back of the plane.”
RDU App: “So you don’t… you don’t have a copilot you said?”
SHADY02: “No, he just jumped out the back of the plane.”
RDU App: “Uh, Roger.”
SHADY02: “Would you like me to circle where he left at?”
RDU App: “Uh, say that again?”
SHADY02: “Would you like me to circle where he got out at, or you got me on track?”
RDU App: “Ah, we still got you on track, do- did you need something else?”
SHADY02: “No, the dude literally jumped out of the back of the plane without a parachute.”
RDU App: “Ah, let me (stay with?) you, did you need to do something else, circle or something, ah?”
SHADY02: “No, I need to land, I’m just making you aware you’re gonna have a dead body out where I just called you at. He just jumped out the back of the plane.”
RDU App: “Roger, just continue on you(r)… heading zero-five-zero.”
SHADY02: “zero-five-zero, zero-two.”

>>>
SHADY02: “My copilot just ran out the back of the plane”
<<<

Did copilot open the ramp, then run right out the back? Or did the pilot open it (maybe for a gear inspection) and then the copilot ran out?

“…just ran out the back of the plane”. I’m no rocket surgeon, but I gotta think there’s more to this story.

Back