Lost Motivation and Interest

Lately - it’s just not there. Little interest.

Not about flying - about finding that next indispensable widget that any self respecting pilot must have. Red light head lamp, new tablet for in cockpit, a new adsb in box, etc. Sportys catalog used to be filled with amazing crap that I couldn’t figure out what some of it was really for. Now I toss it in trash.

To be somewhat serious - I guess I’m just at that place where is isn’t at new as it used to be - and the actual flying is more fun.

Signed up with the local Angel Flight organization - that could be fun!

Nothing quite like a pilot showing up for a flight review with a pack full of gear sufficient to go on a camping trip. Just because someone sells it doesn't mean you need it.

Nothing quite like a pilot showing up for a flight review with a pack full of gear sufficient to go on a camping trip.

Funny!

Just because someone sells it doesn't mean you need it.

True - But give me a minute and I can come up with a reason and talk myself it to why I desperately need it ….. :)

I don’t yet have a PJ back up radio, SPOT locator, or a mini flare gun for example.

I love the 4 1/2" angle grinder, probably the most value I have ever gotten out of a $15 tool.
The Baur 7.3 Amp 1 In. SDS-PLUS Type Variable Speed Rotary Hammer is the best tool I didn't know I needed until I had one. Is the best way to drill holes in concrete I have found.

Brian

HF has a good selection of decent air tools. For $15 bucks why not get the straight AND right angle die grinders?

If you are not making a living with it, you do not need professional grade tools. A guy I work with spends hundreds of dollars on Dewalt tools to hang a picture every few years. I buy Ryobi 18v from Home Depot and use it til the grips wear off. I have Ryobi stuff from 15-20 years ago when the color scheme was blue. Still works great despite massive abuse. Have a recip saw that I use for cutting roots, has been partially buried in dirt and left out in the rain several times. Damn thing won't die.

I've been flying for just over 20 years and NONE of the emergency equipment in my flight bag has ever been needed. May it stay that way! But I'll continue to carry it, just in case.

As far as Cabela's goes, back when I was working for a living they had the bad taste to build one of their new stores about half way between where I lived (and still do) and where I worked. I couldn't drive past that place without stopping at least now and then. When our son was growing up I was a Cub Scout and then a Boy Scout leader and REI would $100 bill me to death. When Cabela's opened that store, they would $100 bill or worse me to death. It's a hazard, I tell you!

This brings back memories. Before I took my first lesson, I owned a handheld radio, pulse oximeter, lap board, headset, foggles, a logbook, sick bags, etc. Some of that was something moving me in the direction but not having the funds just yet to bite the bullet. I rarely buy new stuff now.

This brings back memories. Before I took my first lesson, I owned a handheld radio, pulse oximeter, lap board, headset, foggles, a logbook, sick bags, etc. Some of that was something moving me in the direction but not having the funds just yet to bite the bullet. I rarely buy new stuff now.

At least back in the day we could scratch our itch with cheapo analog stuff like an E6B, fuel strainer, hold entry computer, maps/books, etc. Nowadays you need at least a tablet, ForeFlight, and portable ADS-B receiver with AHRS and GPS.

On the bright side, pretty sure I've bought my last paper sectional or TAC. That "every six months" stuff got old. But I did not dare fly with an out of date map, lest the FAA launch a covert sting operation to catch me.

HF has a good selection of decent air tools. For $15 bucks why not get the straight AND right angle die grinders?

If you are not making a living with it, you do not need professional grade tools. A guy I work with spends hundreds of dollars on Dewalt tools to hang a picture every few years. I buy Ryobi 18v from Home Depot and use it til the grips wear off. I have Ryobi stuff from 15-20 years ago when the color scheme was blue. Still works great despite massive abuse. Have a recip saw that I use for cutting roots, has been partially buried in dirt and left out in the rain several times. Damn thing won't die.

Agree with they Ryobi stuff, I started using them after working for a cabinet installer for a few months. He gave me his beat up drill and impact driver. That was probably at 15 years ago and I still have them, The drill puts out a bit of a hot electrical odor when I use it since it inadvertently spent about a month submerged in a bucket of water. But it does still work.

Brian

Back