Finally restarted my flying lessons.

Thank you, all. My wife (Tammy) is considerably younger than me and my mother-in-law has Lymphoma (currently in remission). I always thought Tammy would survive both of us. I’ve accumulated a nest egg to keep her comfortable until she passes, whenever that might have been. The only good thing I can see in this whole thing is she won’t die alone.

Now the stress might be causing the cancer to come back earlier than expected. To paraphrase Ecclesiastes, "What profit a man to gain the world, but to lose his best friend and soulmate?"

Last edited:
Well, I resumed flying lessons this past Saturday. We started with air work. I did slow flight: straight and level and turns. Steep turns left and right. (I think I'm a G junky because I really like the extra pressure a 60-degree bank produces.) I was supposed to maintain a 45-degree bank. Also, arrival and departure stalls. I need a little work on my steep turns. I did well enough he said we'll work on ground reference maneuvers Saturday, and then do pattern work. After the lesson was over, he said: "You know how to fly." True, but next is knowing how to consistently land safely.

Still training in the SportStar. I love its roomy cabin, visibility, and responsiveness. I could do with a little more speed, but it still cruises a lot faster than I drive on the freeway.

I changed my initial license goal to PPL. I can do everything necessary except night flight and instrument work in the SportStar, and there are several Skyhawks to choose from for those requirements.

I expect solo is a ways off. I think I can legally solo the SportStar with an expired 3rd class medical. I can easily get a Basic Med to qualify to solo a certified plane. I have pointers to several doctors who'll do Basic Med exams.

I did look for my certificate in the FAA database and came up empty. I have the original paper copy from April 2007, so I got it recent enough to qualify for Basic Med. Will not being in the database be a problem?

Last edited:
Well, I resumed flying lessons this past Saturday. We started with air work. I did slow flight: straight and level and turns. Steep turns left and right. (I think I'm a G junky because I really like the extra pressure a 60-degree bank produces.) I was supposed to maintain a 45-degree bank. Also, arrival and departure stalls. I need a little work on my steep turns. I did well enough he said we'll work on ground reference maneuvers Saturday, and then do pattern work. After the lesson was over, he said: "You know how to fly." True, but next is knowing how to consistently land safely.

Still training in the SportStar. I love its roomy cabin, visibility, and responsiveness. I could do with a little more speed, but it still cruises a lot faster than I drive on the freeway.

I changed my initial license goal to PPL. I can do everything necessary except night flight, and instrument work in the SportStar, and there are several Skyhawks to choose from for those requirements.

I expect solo is a ways off. I think I can legally solo the SportStar with an expired 3rd class medical. I can easily get a Basic Med to qualify to solo a certified plane. I have pointers to several doctors who'll do Basic Med exams.

I did look for my certificate in the FAA database and came up empty. I have the original paper copy from April 2007, so I got it recent enough to qualify for Basic Med. Will not being in the database be a problem?
Just read through this thread. I am so sorry to hear about your wife.

Regarding BasicMed, if you have the original paper copy from 2007, that should be sufficient to establish your eligibility to operate under BasicMed with an examiner for a practical test. That said, your last medical should show up on the public airman inquiry website. You might want to call the office of aerospace medicine In OKC to confirm they have record of your last medical. If they don't, you may end up receiving a "you don't appear to qualify for BasicMed..." letter from the FAA when you do the BasicMed online training course.

Sounds like you need a fast motorcycle for the freeway. Maybe a nice Ducati or Bimota?

:D
Harley all the way. Oh, wait. You said a "fast motorcycle."
Just read through this thread. I am so sorry to hear about your wife.

Regarding BasicMed, if you have the original paper copy from 2007, that should be sufficient to establish your eligibility to operate under BasicMed with an examiner for a practical test. That said, your last medical should show up on the public airman inquiry website. You might want to call the office of aerospace medicine In OKC to confirm they have record of your last medical. If they don't, you may end up receiving a "you don't appear to qualify for BasicMed..." letter from the FAA when you do the BasicMed online training course.
Thank you for the advice. I'll give the OKC aeromedical office a call.

Last edited:
I had another lesson Saturday. Still pulling left. 1/2 suggested I might be bending my wrist as I pull the stick back. Very likely. I'll try to keep it straight on every landing from now on and hope that helps.

I asked about my medical, and he said I probably slipped through the cracks when they separated the certificate from the medical. He suggested I go ahead and get my 3rd class medical, then go on Basic Med after that. The only possible issue is my sleep apnea. I was close to not having it the time I was tested, and I'm 40 lbs. lighter now. For whatever reason, the more tired I am when I sleep, the fewer AHIs I have. I'm planning on retaking the sleep apnea test. If I no longer have it, then I won't need to worry about getting a SI.

He said I was landing the plane better than I was last October and for the first time, talked to me about what paperwork I'll need to be ready to solo. I have been doing a lot of flight simulation, and think it's helped me get where I am, but I decided that even though the Prepar3D SportStar is modeled on the real life SportStar, they fly like two different planes, especially sight picture and drag from flaps. I was surprised the light stick forces in the real plane, and my stiff yoke for the flight simulator didn't make that much (if any) difference.

I shot 7 landings, and only went around on one, in 0.9 hour. Besides pulling left, and having to correct, I need to get the nose higher in the flare and keep it there even after we touch down. I'm sure once I can touch down gently, it'll be easier to keep the nose up to bleed off speed.

The plot thickens.
I registered with IACRA and logged in. I have two certificates. One is for Student Pilot, 06/28/2001 (when I first started flying lessons).
The other is Mechanic, 05/26/2006 (when I got my A&P).
The paper copy 3rd class medical certificate is dated April, 2007 and doesn't show up on the IACRA page.
I looked up the issuing physician to see if they still had a record of my physical, and the number listed on the search results has been reassigned to a new clinic.
Considering I'm in California, I can't just drive over to see if they are still in business. Guess I'll write a letter.
As I'm training in a Light Sport, I can solo on a driver's license, or expired medical, and I have both. I'll only need a Basic Med or 3rd class to solo a certified plane, which I'll need to do to get my PPL.

Any other thoughts?

I personally would just go get BasicMed and call it good.
The only requirement is that you have to have had a valid medical after July 14, 2006. I see no requirement that the medical be logged into IACRA.
I agree that the medical SHOULD have shown in IACRA, but not being in IACRA does not invalidate the medical. Therefore you do meet the requirement to get BasicMed.
I would also make sure you protect that paper copy as it is your only proof of the medical.

I see no reason to bother the good people at OKC over this.

If OKC doesn’t have the medical in the system, when he enters his Basic Med course completion OKC will flag it and notify him that he’s not eligible for Basic.

Assuming this is correct, I'd still go with it.
1) The requirement for a prior valid medical is fulfilled
2) Taking the online course can still be done and completion shown
3) The BasicMed paperwork part can be fulfilled and carried as required

In my mind, now we're just back to how to get a legally completed medical into the system of record.
The qualification of it being accepted by IACRA is non-existent, to my knowledge.
Ideally, the FAA would have a simple way to get that medical into the system, but I'm not willing to bet much on that.

So while he works with the FAA on how to get his legally obtained paperwork into IACRA, he can enjoy the benefits of his deserved BasicMed.

Again, just my thought on the subject.

Assuming this is correct, I'd still go with it.
1) The requirement for a prior valid medical is fulfilled
2) Taking the online course can still be done and completion shown
3) The BasicMed paperwork part can be fulfilled and carried as required

In my mind, now we're just back to how to get a legally completed medical into the system of record.
The qualification of it being accepted by IACRA is non-existent, to my knowledge.
Ideally, the FAA would have a simple way to get that medical into the system, but I'm not willing to bet much on that.

So while he works with the FAA on how to get his legally obtained paperwork into IACRA, he can enjoy the benefits of his deserved BasicMed.

Again, just my thought on the subject.

Refer to post #45 above. Brad Z is the forum's mole at the FAA and he has written or reviewed most of the FAA's guidance regarding Basic Med. I'd go with his advice.

Brad Z is the forum's mole at the FAA and he has written or reviewed most of the FAA's guidance regarding Basic Med. I'd go with his advice.

I fail to see where his advice and mine are far apart.

We both agree that Crashnburn qualifies for BasicMed based upon his 2007 medical.

Brad Z also seems say it is because of the "you don't appear to qualify for BasicMed..." letter that MAY come if OKC doesn't have the medical on file. He does not seem to say that it would invalidate the BasicMed if already obtained.

I think Brad Z and I agree that if the there is no record at OKC then there will be back and forth with the FAA to get the record in place.

However, the difference is that Brad Z is suggesting to go to the FAA straight off to verify the situation. I am merely saying that if this is the situation they will contact Crashnburn. So, do you start the conversation or wait for them to possibly start the conversation?

If OKC doesn’t have the medical in the system, when he enters his Basic Med course completion OKC will flag it and notify him that he’s not eligible for Basic.

As an example of one. For whatever reason IACRA didn't ever capture my third class, which was straightforward with no issues. Did my private and did my instrument and showed the DPE my paper medical 3rd class as needed. Switched to Basic Med and when I did my first coursework renewal for it I got a letter from the FAA reminding me that I needed to have a valid 3rd class to be basic med eligible. It didn't say I didn't have a medical or didn't say my basic med wasn't valid it was just a reminder. It's been 6 years since my 3rd class and If they ever officially notified me I'd be happy to them fix it but I have a valid 3rd class and issues on their end are not my problem.

As an example of one. For whatever reason IACRA didn't ever capture my third class, which was straightforward with no issues. Did my private and did my instrument and showed the DPE my paper medical 3rd class as needed. Switched to Basic Med and when I did my first coursework renewal for it I got a letter from the FAA reminding me that I needed to have a valid 3rd class to be basic med eligible. It didn't say I didn't have a medical or didn't say my basic med wasn't valid it was just a reminder. It's been 6 years since my 3rd class and If they ever officially notified me I'd be happy to them fix it but I have a valid 3rd class and issues on their end are not my problem.

The paper expired medial certificate is sufficient to comply with the regulation. My suggestion to resolve the medical certificate issue was to prevent any sort of misunderstandings should he ever be ramp checked. Further, He will eventually be taking a practical test and will need to demonstrate to the DPE that he qualifies for BasicMed. If the DPE looks him up in the public airman inquiry page there may be some confusion.

It doesn't sound like the aerospace medicine understood the OP's ask. My next recommendation would be to reach out to the airman registry and ask them to correct your information. Airman registry is not the FAA system of record on medical certification but they do get inputs from medical on your medical status. Send them a copy of your expired medical and ask them to correct your file. Then they can initiate some behind the scenes work to validate the old medical with AAM and update your airman file.

Thanks all for the discussions. POA is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're going to get.

I had my most recent lesson Saturday evening. From 7 PM until the sunset. I made 7 landings (including a go around) in exactly one hour. I started with the airspeed and altimeter covered. All I had left was the VSI. This SportStar only has a three pack. My sped control got better when I stopped watching the as I after he uncovered the instruments. Also, I discovered why the plane was swerving in. The flare. I have long arms, some would say monkey arms, and there wasn't enough room for my elbow to fit between the cabin and my torso. Once I scooted to the right a bit, I straightened out and flew right. (Sorry) Next is to get the nose higher before the wheels touch. I'm also working on getting the final approach. I'm consistently nailing my airspeed at 60 knots, so that's a good start. I also bounced a landing but maintained my attitude until the plane flew itself onto the runway.

Last edited:
Had another evening flight of 1.2 hours, and 12 landings. They are inconsistent, but one of my landings was better than my instructor's demo landing, by his own words.
What really helped was after I get to the runway, concentrate on the far end of the runway. Somehow it helps with my round out and flare. What everyone has been saying since I started reading this board!

I'm getting better at energy management, and judging when to put full flaps in. The problem comes just at round out and flare, when things go screwy. I need to keep my head in the game at that phase, but overall, I'm getting better. I have an afternoon flight scheduled for tomorrow.

I hit the books one night this week, at this rate I'll be able to fly the plane OK for a solo long before I have the aviation knowledge. At least I've been through most of it at least once, and half of it twice before.

I'm using Rod Machado's Private Pilot Handbook and Workbook for studying, and I have the Gleim book to double check my learning before I take the actual test.

What really helped was after I get to the runway, concentrate on the far end of the runway. Somehow it helps with my round out and flare. What everyone has been saying since I started reading this board!
Well, not "everybody". How do you see the far end of the runway if your nose is nice and high the way it should be for a touchdown at minimum controllable airspeed?

I'm getting better at energy management, and judging when to put full flaps in. The problem comes just at round out and flare, when things go screwy. I need to keep my head in the game at that phase,
You need to get your head (read "eyes") OUT of the comfort zone over the nose, you know, where the far end of the runway is in sight. Turn your gaze to the left of the nose where you can identify familiar things of known size, like runway lights, weeds and grass. In fact, if you operate from a wide runway, use only the left half of it in order to be able to get a good view of those things (CFI permission required).

Forget "energy management", you aren't flying the space shuttle. It's more like managing a kite, bobbling along in and out of thermals as you glide toward the earth. Use your brain to make small corrections every few seconds based on the perceived change in your glide ratio. "Will I be too high or too low?" Make a slight change in "something" (I can think of at least six things), rinse and repeat until you arrive at your spot.

I another lesson Saturday. He was giving a simulated Phase 2 check, and the student paid no attention to the fuel gauges until the tank ran dry. Automatic fail. The goal was not to fail the student, but give him a lesson that could save his life(and the plane). I need to develop that discipline, too.

Also,he was responding faster to the tower than I could so I asked him to give me a chance before he talked to the tower. That worked better.

I had a two week gap since the previous lesson and the CFI said I hadn't lost anything. I don't know how much it helped, but I flew my simulator an hour or so Friday night, mostly to practice flying low along the runway at Hollister. The more I practiced, the closer I got to the runway, and wheels touched several times.

They say you play like you practice. When we got there, he demoed what I was supposed to do. Next pass, I got it before the runway's end. Then, I tried it again. This time, I kept pulling the nose up while close to the ground and. feeding in power. Next thing I know, the wheels touch down and he says I just made a perfect landing. We did more touch and goes before heading back. I guess what happened is classic.

I managed the landing energy by myself, but need to work on directional control. He says I'm good enough to practice at the home field now. Next up are soft field takeover and landings. Those will help with energy control on all of my landings.

I noticed on all my landings that when I'm moving the stick, I want to pull back on it, even though I'm trimmed for 60 knots. Definitely something to work on. I think I might still have some ground fear. It's a lot better than it was. I think it was Bob Hoover who got air sick when he was just starting out. He would go behind the hangars and practice aerobatics. I'm not going to become the world's most famous airshow pilot; the moral is to work through whatever issue you might have.

If Bob Hoover didn't do anything else during his career he taught generations how to persevere and overcome endless challenges.

His live isn't just a great example to future pilots, it's a lesson on how to live life period.

Had another lesson Saturday. I had my best landing of the day after an hour. After that my landings went down hill, fast. (Sorry about the pun. ). I guess I have enough endurance for an hour. I also need to get comfortable rounding out a lot lower.

I won’t be flying for a while. I have bigger fish to fry right now. My wife has been having neurological problems for a while. Monday, we took her to the Stanford Hospital ER. After a long wait, they admitted her and she’s been there since. They know there’s a problem but can’t find out why.

She had a cat scan yesterday and parts of her brain lit up. A doctor said that not all issues are curable; my take is he’s trying to prepare us for bad news.

Friends and family are praying for a miracle. She’s changed a lot in the last month. My mother in law didn’t recognize her voice on the phone last night, and the way she speaks has changed. She is still as articulate as ever.

My mother in law is in remission for Lymphoma, and says she’ll stick around as long as Tammy need a her. I don’t know what I’ll do if I lose both of them.

That's tough, just be strong for them both and do your crying when they aren't around.

This is a tough time. We found out last week my wife has CJB - aka Mad Cow Disease. We have no clue about how she might have gotten it. They say it's probably sporadic CJB. There are only about 325 cases a year world wide. Unfortunately, her condition is terminal.

Friday, the prognosis was 6 to 18 months. She declined so much in two days that the new prognosis is a few weeks to a few months. :( Traditional medicine can't do anything more for her, so we'll try some non-traditional therapies, mostly BEMER, and Light Therapy.

All I know, is a woman marrying, and staying married to a guy like me is miraculous, and as much proof that God exists as anyone should ever need!

I thoroughly believe she'll be flying with the angels long before I ever earn my wings, terrestrial, or otherwise.
Just tell her you'll meet her for coffee at Angel's 30.

Hopes and prayers, hopes and prayers.

Just tell her you'll meet her for coffee at Angel's 30.

Hopes and prayers, hopes and prayers.
Thank you, Birddog. Actually, she can have coffee, I'll have hot chocolate.

This is as good a place as any for an update.
Tammy is still alive. She's far outlived the doctors' prognosis, and I believe they were wrong, for several reasons.
1) Everyone else who was diagnosed with Vaccine Induced CJD was dead within 5 months of the injection. It's been more than 15 months since Tammy's last shot.
2) It's my expectation that CJD progresses roughly exponentially. As time has gone on her deterioration has slowed, as in logarithmically, and in some areas she's improved. Abnormally folded proteins don't unfold, so you wouldn't expect to see any improvement.
3) Finally, apparently, they didn't find a special chemical associated with CJD in her blood. Otherwise, the diagnosis would have been 100%, rather than 99%.

Here's what I think happened. I don't have medical degree, but MD doesn't stand for Medical Diety, as much as they want you to think it does.
Her second shot was poorly administered, and it got into her blood, rather than staying in her shoulder muscle,
It penetrated the blood brain barrier and infected brain cells, that started producing spike proteins.
We had already had CoVid-19 so her immune system was already primed. It went after the spike proteins, as well as the cells (brain cells) that were producing them. That explains the loss of brain tissue.
The vaccine suppresses the immune system, so hers couldn't get rid of all of the spike proteins before they started mutating, so her body was fighting a losing battle.

Her caregiver is giving her the supplements I found that should help boost her immune system, keep the spike protein out of her remaining brain cells, and stimulate brain stem cell production. Hyperbaric O2 treatment is supposed to help with immune response and stem cell production. I use a BEMER as a poor man's Hyperbaric Treatment. Also, near Infrared Light is supposed to help with both, as well, and I recently started using a Near Infrared Unit on her as well. I cover her eyes with a sleep mask, just in case.

She has people as far away as Tonga praying for her weekly, at least. Out Tongan caregivers are deeply religious. And I pray for her 3 times a day. I keep visualizing some Sunday that she and I will attend Mass together, and after Mass, she and I approach the altar and thank the congregation for praying for her recovery. (Every Sunday I've been at Mass, she's been mentioned in the prayers for the sick.

Back to flying.
Two lessons ago, I kept saying cleared for the auction. My CFI said I said it at least 3 times, and last lesson I think I said it once. He said I was doing pretty well on the radio. I've been practicing on my simulator. The calls on the simulator aren't correct, but I know what they are supposed to be, so I say the right thing before clicking the button.

I had a lot of hours before I restarted lessons, but very few in the pattern. As I'm pretty comfortable handling the plane until base, I guess he figures I should know base onward. I do, intellectually, but I'm not there skill wise.

I read a couple of helpful chapters in Rad Machado's "How to Fly an Airplane" on landing. He gets down into the nitty gritty and covers a lot of stuff in excruciating detail that my CFI hasn't talked about.

I know I can land the plane. Two lessons ago one of my landings was better than his demo landings, by his admission, and I had anther about that good my most recent landings. The goal is to make all of them that good, or better. My next lesson is Saturday afternoon. Wish me luck.

Wow! I just caught up on your whole thread and didn't pick up it started a year ago for quite a few posts.

Awesome return to aviation.

I was heart broken to read of your wife but so happy the two of you continue to fight. This neurological issue was caused by the COVID vaccine? So sorry to read of your last several months.

On the medical thing . . . I wouldn't be dropping in on an AME anytime soon. My $0.02 - pursue basic med or SPL. Don't play with the 3rd class (unless you've consulted, without filling anything in online, with your AME and they've assured you you would get the medical - no deferral to OKC).

Blue skies! He's back!

God bless your wife Tammy, what a trooper and you too!

Great job on your continued determination with your flight training, it has been fun (the flying part) to read. As with most, radios can be a challenge to become comfortable with. I remember my first solo trip to a Class D like it was yesterday (I learned at an uncontrolled field). I flew a VERY large circle to the South of the Delta rehearsing what I would say and how it would go. Then I went in... it didn't quite go as I had rehearsed, but it went good enough and Tower knew I was new, nervous, and likely knew I was a student. Anyway, there is a great VFR Communications book (small bound manual) that comes in print form and electronic copy (if you want to keep a copy on your iPad with you). If you haven't gotten it or seen it yet, it's by Pilot Workshops and is called "VFR Communications". It provides real life situations, the involved communications, shows a plan view/map of where you/the plane would be when making the radio call and does this for Ramp Ops, Departures, Enroute, Arrivals, Special cases, etc. I believe there's also an online video presentation of the various segments with communications (like a simulator version you watch). They have one for IFR Communications too that's equally as good if you ever decide to get your instrument. Anyway, take a look at it if you haven't already - it's a GREAT resource.

Thank you, Birddog. Actually, she can have coffee, I'll have hot chocolate.

This is as good a place as any for an update.
Tammy is still alive. She's far outlived the doctors' prognosis, and I believe they were wrong, for several reasons.
1) Everyone else who was diagnosed with Vaccine Induced CJD was dead within 5 months of the injection. It's been more than 15 months since Tammy's last shot.
2) It's my expectation that CJD progresses roughly exponentially. As time has gone on her deterioration has slowed, as in logarithmically, and in some areas she's improved. Abnormally folded proteins don't unfold, so you wouldn't expect to see any improvement.
3) Finally, apparently, they didn't find a special chemical associated with CJD in her blood. Otherwise, the diagnosis would have been 100%, rather than 99%.

Here's what I think happened. I don't have medical degree, but MD doesn't stand for Medical Diety, as much as they want you to think it does.
Her second shot was poorly administered, and it got into her blood, rather than staying in her shoulder muscle,
It penetrated the blood brain barrier and infected brain cells, that started producing spike proteins.
We had already had CoVid-19 so her immune system was already primed. It went after the spike proteins, as well as the cells (brain cells) that were producing them. That explains the loss of brain tissue.
The vaccine suppresses the immune system, so hers couldn't get rid of all of the spike proteins before they started mutating, so her body was fighting a losing battle.

Her caregiver is giving her the supplements I found that should help boost her immune system, keep the spike protein out of her remaining brain cells, and stimulate brain stem cell production. Hyperbaric O2 treatment is supposed to help with immune response and stem cell production. I use a BEMER as a poor man's Hyperbaric Treatment. Also, near Infrared Light is supposed to help with both, as well, and I recently started using a Near Infrared Unit on her as well. I cover her eyes with a sleep mask, just in case.

She has people as far away as Tonga praying for her weekly, at least. Out Tongan caregivers are deeply religious. And I pray for her 3 times a day. I keep visualizing some Sunday that she and I will attend Mass together, and after Mass, she and I approach the altar and thank the congregation for praying for her recovery. (Every Sunday I've been at Mass, she's been mentioned in the prayers for the sick.

Back to flying.
Two lessons ago, I kept saying cleared for the auction. My CFI said I said it at least 3 times, and last lesson I think I said it once. He said I was doing pretty well on the radio. I've been practicing on my simulator. The calls on the simulator aren't correct, but I know what they are supposed to be, so I say the right thing before clicking the button.

I had a lot of hours before I restarted lessons, but very few in the pattern. As I'm pretty comfortable handling the plane until base, I guess he figures I should know base onward. I do, intellectually, but I'm not there skill wise.

I read a couple of helpful chapters in Rad Machado's "How to Fly an Airplane" on landing. He gets down into the nitty gritty and covers a lot of stuff in excruciating detail that my CFI hasn't talked about.

I know I can land the plane. Two lessons ago one of my landings was better than his demo landings, by his admission, and I had anther about that good my most recent landings. The goal is to make all of them that good, or better. My next lesson is Saturday afternoon. Wish me luck.
You sincerely have my payers and best wishes.

You have even more reason now to stick this through and there will likely be times you need something to completely occupy your mind for a while to get it off of your family troubles.

Keep your head up and be all you can for her and that starts with taking care of yourself.

Thank you all for your kind words and advice. I'll do an AME consult before I go in for the 3rd clas.s I can't do what I want to do with a Sport License, but if I can't pass a 3rd class, that'll be better than nothing.
If she goes before her time, I'll tell her I'll meet her for drinks. dinner, and dancing at Angels Triple 7.
Unfortunately, the only medical IACRA recognizes is too old for Basic Med. I've been off the CPAP for almost a week, and I don't seem to have any daytime sleepiness issues. My mother-in-law is very perceptive, so she'd be able to tell. I'll go back on it Sunday night; my sleep dr. wanted me to see how I felt without it for a week.

And Birddog, if that's a Cessna 336/7 Dad built those on the Cessna factory floor, so you might be flying one that he helped build. Small world.

I had a scare for her last night. She wasn't swallowing well when I headed over to the library to study Aviation Knowledge, but she was she OK when I got home. I have some HCQ and Ivermectin on order. The Ivermectin should flush the rest of the toxins out of her body, and the HCQ (plus zinc) should keep it out of her cells while it's being flushed.

Last edited:
Thank you all for your kind words and advice. I'll do an AME consult before I go in for the 3rd clas.s I can't do what I want to do with a Sport License, but if I can't pass a 3rd class, that'll be better than nothing.
If she goes before her time, I'll tell her I'll meet her for drinks. dinner, and dancing at Angels Triple 7.
Unfortunately, the only medical IACRA recognizes is too old for Basic Med. I've been off the CPAP for almost a week, and I don't seem to have any daytime sleepiness issues. My mother-in-law is very perceptive, so she'd be able to tell. I'll go back on it Sunday night; my sleep dr. wanted me to see how I felt without it for a week.

And Birddog, if that's a Cessna 336/7 Dad built those on the Cessna factory floor, so you might be flying one that he helped build. Small world.

I had a scare for her last night. She wasn't swallowing well when I headed over to the library to study Aviation Knowledge, but she was she OK when I got home. I have some HCQ and Ivermectin on order. The Ivermectin should flush the rest of the toxins out of her body, and the HCQ (plus zinc) should keep it out of her cells while it's being flushed.
When I was in the service, (early post Vietnam) era we were still making heavy use of the skymasters in a number of roles. Well into the eighties and early nineties some of the specially equipped planes were still being used for light attack and S&R.

I've been in love with them since the first time I saw them work.

Enjoy every minute you can with the wife while you still can. You will cherish those moments for the rest of your life.

Another weekend lesson. Another hour in the logbook. And progress, both at home and in the air.

I had the plane scheduled for 2 hours, and while I only flew it for one, there was a lot of distraction on the ground. The plane had a squawk on the voltmeter the day before, and it hadn't been cleared by 4 PM Saturday, plus it was within one hour of needing a 100-hour inspection, according to the PaperlessFBO app. Both had been taken care of but hadn't made it to the system.

When I sumped the tanks, there were less than three gallons each side, so I pulled it down to the fuel truck and refueled it. I was wondering if I was going to have a good lesson on the taxi to the runup area. Turns out, I did.

I made most of the radio calls. I'm still working on being able to find traffic like my CFI can, but otherwise, I seem up to speed. I seem to be able to listen as fast as the ATC talks and think I'm talking about that fast. I just have to remember I'm flying a SportStar, not a Skyhawk when I call up ground and tower. Also, it's cleared for the option, not auction. :)

We went around on a few landings because I was too high. the previous lesson he said I should be better at energy management than I was, this week he said he liked my energy management. One thing I did that helped was read the two chapters in Rod Machado's _How_To_Fly_An_AIrplane_ book on landing. I also wrote down what I wanted to do in the sequence. Finally, on the taxi to the runup area, I scooted over to the right in my seat, and my elbow had enough clearance during the round out and flare.

On one landing, I had full flaps in to get down to the runway. He raised them and told me the flaps were broken, so I did a forward slip. Those are easy. Full right rudder, keep the nose down to at least 60 Knots, and use the stick to stay over the runway. I think that's good practice for crosswind landings, which we might try Saturday.

I wasn't sure how easy it would be coming out of the slip so I didn't slip down to ground effect, but he said I could have. In fact, in crosswind landings, I'll be slipping all the way down to the runway.

About halfway through the lesson he said one of my landings was good enough to pass the stage one check (to qualify for solo), and my last landing was the best.
Funny thing, on the downwind for that landing, I had problems with the radio call, and knew it was time to call it a day. He said I should make it a perfect landing, and my thought was: "I hope". And I did. I was glad I had a good landing to close out the lesson but wished I could immediately go do it again.

He mentioned I'm learning faster than some of his younger students and felt like I'd already done this before. My last lessons before restarting at KRHV were about 15 years ago at KICT in a Skyhawk.

On the home front, things seem to be looking up. Tammy's still swallowing OK. Yesterday she said "Oh" when I put the BEMER mat on her in the morning, and last night she was wiggling her toes and reached up to hold her mother's hand. She hasn't done either of those in months.

I got her a Near Infrared light belt to try to stimulate brain stem cell production about a week ago. It just might be working.

As far as hospice goes, I'll be glad when Tammy no longer needs hospice, so we don't have to deal with them.

Last edited:
Well, I slipped the surly bonds of Earth for another 1.5 hours Saturday. When I was getting my A&P license, it took me about 1 hour and 15 minutes to drive to Hollister. In the 1.5 hours flight, I flew to Hollister (CVH) and did I don't know how many cross wind touch and goes on 13 and 31. I did a few really good touch and goes and had a lot of mediocre to poor ones, but I have the idea of how to do them. At each end of the runway, I would gain altitude to about 600 feet AGL and do a sharp power off turn into the wind to get back to the runway so I got left and right cross wind practice I didn't find out until the flight back that I was fighting gusty winds up to 15 knots, 3 knots less than the plane's demonstrated ability. And I guess last week I was landing with 7 knots cross wind w/o knowing it.

I was concerned about not remembering how to land from the previous week because two lessons before my most recent break, I was landing great, but the following week it was like I was starting over from scratch. This week, it went a lot better.

ATC cleared us for about a 10 mile straight in approach when we were at 3500' and 85 knots. I got to judge when to start the descent, and how fast to descend.

At first, I was descending at full cruise and 95 knots. I kept it under structural cruising speed until my CFI noticed. After that, I pulled power and kept flaps up and descended at 60-65 knots until it looked like the runway was going to slide under me, so I dropped one notch of flaps. That was enough. The VASI slowly went from all white to one red and three whites.

When I had the runway made, I meant to drop full flaps, but didn't get the last notch in. We were close enough to the runway I felt keeping my hand on the throttle was more important than going back for that last bit of flaps.

All I can tell you is I touched down in the middle of the runway, I think I heard the tires chirp. We didn't bounce, the nose stayed up long enough to brake our speed enough I didn't need brakes to make the mid-runway turnoff. All my instructor said was there was a bit of side load when we touched down. (More right rudder!) For the first time, ever, the landing for real was as easy as landing on the simulator.

I plan on practicing cross wind landings on my simulator. If there aren't sufficient cross winds locally, I can always go to Kansas!

Good news on the home front. Tammy is much more mobile after getting 2 weeks of near infrared light treatments. I have a video of her lifting her arm and moving it around. The video was prompted by her putting her hand under her cheek. This is by a woman a few weeks ago who would lie still in one position until someone repositioned her. She's also watching TV and making faces. Even spitting food she doesn't want out. There's a long way to go, and a lot of unknown unknowns, but she's recovering. Thank all of you for your prayers and support.

Last edited:
...Unfortunately, the only medical IACRA recognizes is too old for Basic Med....

According to Brad Z's post on August 11th, your most recent paper medical does not have to be IACRA-recognized in order for you to be legal for BasicMed.

https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/com...-my-flying-lessons.133853/page-2#post-3293672

He has proven to be a very reliable source on such matters, but if you need confirmation, you could pose the question in the Medical Topics section of this forum. There are two very experienced and knowledgeable AMEs who check in there often, @bbchien, and @lbfjrmd.

https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/forums/medical-topics.13/

TLDR: I took my first flying lesson in 13 years, not counting a familiarization flight 11 years ago. I don’t seem to have lost much ground.

We flew out of AeroDynamic Aviation at Reid-Hillview Airport. Ironically, it’s the same building where I took my first flying lesson, but it was Amelia Reid Aviation. I never got a chance to meet her, but she essentially put KRHV on the map.

My instructor flew an Evektor Sportstar Max. Actually, I did almost all of the flying. He managed the cockpit and radios, and took over on short final for the landing. I forgot to do the GUMPS check list.

We did medium turns, steep turns, slow flight, and stalls, both approach and departure. I guess I did pretty well because next week will be ground reference maneuvers. He says I’ll be ready to land next week, too. I’ll be happy if that happens, but I’m trying to take that with a grain of salt.

He said overall I did pretty well for any student, and extremely well for how long it’s been since my last lessons. And he said it probably wouldn’t be long before I solo.

A problem I see with moving so fast is I’m going to have to really cram to be ready for the knowledge test before I’m ready for the check ride. Still, I’m sure there’s a plateau out there with my name on it.

I noticed on landing the runway didn’t bloom nearly as much in real life as it does on my flight simulator. At first I spent too much time chasing the ASI, but after he reminded me, I flew pitch attitude and kept airspeed a lot easier.

Trim worked very well. Of all the planes I’ve flown, this was the easiest plane to trim. My flight simulator’s HoneyComb Alpha yoke really taught me the value of trimming.

When we did departure stalls, I couldn’t see over the nose, but I remembered someone on POA mentioning looking at the wing root- fuselage intersection when landing a tail dragger, and that worked for stalls, too. Thanks to whoever mentioned that.

The plane was a lot bumpier than a Skyhawks in Kansas, but it didn’t bother me. The instructor didn’t say anything about over controlling, so I guess I was fine.

I’m flying again, Saturday. I’m sure I have a lot of work to do before I’m check ride ready, but I’m very hopeful.

Apologies for the long post, but I’m really excited!

Congratulations!

According to Brad Z's post on August 11th, your most recent paper medical does not have to be IACRA-recognized in order for you to be legal for BasicMed.

https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/com...-my-flying-lessons.133853/page-2#post-3293672

He has proven to be a very reliable source on such matters, but if you need confirmation, you could pose the question in the Medical Topics section of this forum. There are two very experienced and knowledgeable AMEs who check in there often, @bbchien, and @lbfjrmd.

https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/forums/medical-topics.13/
Thanks. I just created this thread there. Can I get Basic Med if I have a paper copy of my 3rd class medical from 2007 | Pilots of America

Until now, my wife would lie in whatever position her caregiver put her in. This morning, Sharon put Tammy on her right side, and she rolled her torso over to lie flat on her back but didn't move her legs. I'm sure she'll be moving them on her own soon.

Disclaimer. My first instructor said he taught Rod Machado how to fly. I've never met Rod, but he's my favorite author of learning to fly books. I usually laugh when I run across his attempts at humor. Sometimes the humor, and sometimes the attempt.

What really helped my landings was reading his two chapters on landing. One is final to round out, and the other round out to flare. I struggled 2 lessons before I read the chapters, and pretty much got landings the next lesson.

I struggled with cross wind landings this past lesson, so it's time to read the chapter on crosswind landings. Maybe that'll save an extra lesson. I tried my flight simulator, guess I'm spoiled now, because I think the real thing is better.

Also, now that I've been scooting as far to the right in the seat, and sitting up straighter, my elbow has room between my torso and the cabin wall, and the nose doesn't do funny things when I flare.

Last edited:
Don't stop believing, keep going.

Both of you.
Thank you. I have a lot of patience and perseverance which have usually led to success in the end.
Tammy is a fighter, too, and day by day she shows improvement. I'm praying for patience as her recovery is so slow, especially since she suffered so much brain damage because the Stanford Hospital Doctors wouldn't even consider that her problems might be due to massive Covid Vaccine Poisoning.

She seems to eat more every day, which tells me that her digestive system is coming back. Her mother and I are concerned about what kind of personality she'll have. As far as I can tell, when she can react to something, she reacts in the same way that she would have before she got the Covid shots. Beyond that, as long as we are positive, happy, cheerful, etc. around her, she'll most likely exhibit those traits once she recovers.

As far as I'm concerned, we are breaking new ground here.

I started an anonymous thread here: FAA required tests after unexplained Loss of Consciousness | Pilots of America but have started posting on it as myself. Looks like I might be eligible for a stage 2 check ride soon, but a medical issue, Syncope, will most likely hold me back awhile. All that will do is give me time to be better prepared.

I've started near infrared light treatments plus targeted supplements to try to increase brain stem cell production, just because.

I'm auditioning a new instructor today. Nothing wrong with the previous one, except he is the most experienced LSA instructor at the FBO and can't give his own student a check ride. I'll let Frank (the new CFI) know what happened last week. I'm still scheduled to fly with Sergey next week, so I'll tell him then, ask him if he noticed anything different about me on this past flight, and if he notices anything different during the flight next week.

I guess it never rains but it pours.

Last edited:
Back