landing at a towered airport

beechcraft flyer

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
beech pilot
Question if one lands at a towered airport and the tower does not say "right turn on Alpha contact ground when off" or something similar to that, may we exit the runway on our own without towers acknowledgment ? At times i find i am near the end of the runway when tower finally says "exit via tango etc"

Yes, you may.

Question if one lands at a towered airport and the tower does not say "right turn on Alpha contact ground when off" or something similar to that, may we exit the runway on our own without towers acknowledgment ? At times i find i am near the end of the runway when tower finally says "exit via tango etc"
AIM tells ya all about it.

4−3−20. Exiting the Runway After Landing
The following procedures must be followed after landing and reaching taxi speed.
a. Exit the runway without delay at the first available taxiway or on a taxiway as instructed by ATC. Pilots must not exit the landing runway onto another runway unless authorized by ATC. At airports with an operating control tower, pilots should not stop or reverse course on the runway without first obtaining ATC approval.
b. Taxi clear of the runway unless otherwise directed by ATC. An aircraft is considered clear of the runway when all parts of the aircraft are past the runway edge and there are no restrictions to its continued movement beyond the runway holding position markings. In the absence of ATC instructions, the pilot is expected to taxi clear of the landing runway by taxiing beyond the runway holding position markings associated with the landing runway, even if that requires the aircraft to protrude into or cross another taxiway or ramp area. Once all parts of the aircraft have crossed the runway holding position markings, the pilot must hold unless further instructions have been issued by ATC.
NOTE−
1. The tower will issue the pilot instructions which will permit the aircraft to enter another taxiway, runway, or ramp area when required.
2. Guidance contained in subparagraphs a and b above is considered an integral part of the landing clearance and satisfies the requirement of 14 CFR Section 91.129.
c. Immediately change to ground control frequency when advised by the tower and obtain a taxi clearance.
NOTE−
1. The tower will issue instructions required to resolve any potential conflictions with other ground traffic prior to advising the pilot to contact ground control.
2. Ground control will issue taxi clearance to parking. That clearance does not authorize the aircraft to “enter” or “cross” any runways. Pilots not familiar with the taxi route should request specific taxi instructions from ATC.

On busy towered airports with heavy training aircraft,I like to remind the tower I’m down usually telling tower where I’ll be going on the airport.

On busy towered airports with heavy training aircraft,I like to remind the tower I’m down usually telling tower where I’ll be going on the airport.
So at busy places, you wish to create more frequency congestion by making pointless broadcasts?
The tower doesn't care in a busy situation, he just wants to see you're clear of the runway so as to not impede the following aircraft.

According to AIM 4-3-20 exit the first taxiway, but pick a taxiway that is on the side of the runway you wish to go. Turning the wrong direction and having to taxi back across the active runway you just landed silly.

I'll ask where they want me to turn unless it's obvious. Usually they will tell you as you are rolling out. But, if you are too fast to make a turn, say unable. Never be afraid to ask a question if you are unsure, especially at a busy towered airport. Sometimes they want you to stay on the runway to get past taxiing aircraft. Generally they want you off as soon as possible, especially if there is someone behind you. Just relax, make sure you have done your homework (know where you are going by reviewing a taxi diagram). It's pretty simple. If you get lost, fess up, ask for progressive taxi instructions. Much better to be that guy and make the controller work harder for you than to end up somewhere you shouldn't have and get a deviation.

Back