Most Expensive 100LL (Uncontrolled USA 48)

Sinistar

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Brad
What is the highest 100LL price you've seen so far? Specifically uncontrolled airports in the lower 48. Please also exclude seaplane bases.

I see $9.92 at International Falls, MN. They only have FS 100LL. On the plus side they usually throw in a can of jelly or jam with fuel :)

Eagle Pass. $8 and change.
f257c2e356f3d5368add11615ec8bc99.jpg

What is the highest 100LL price you've seen so far? Specifically uncontrolled airports in the lower 48. Please also exclude seaplane bases.

I see $9.92 at International Falls, MN. They only have FS 100LL. On the plus side they usually throw in a can of jelly or jam with fuel :)

I thought it was Frostbite Falls Minnesota

I was going the other way and looking for inexpensive 100LL. Found $5.95 guaranteed @ 99N in SC ...

I paid 5.35 on Saturday at Lakeland. Miami is 9.91.

what I find “interesting” is that the places that are always expensive, aren’t really much higher than they always were.

$4.99 is the cheapest around here… $4.15 north of Memphis. $6.79 at my home field (class D). I think $8 is the highest in the state as far as non-towered field’s go

Anybody have any insight into why the larger FBOs with higher volume sales end up with the highest prices?
Just to cover their fancy FBOs and because they can?

Anybody have any insight into why the larger FBOs with higher volume sales end up with the highest prices?
The FBO at the small airport where I am working on my PPL has 7 employees, a very nice building and several large hangars. They have 3 fuel trucks and a couple of tug tractors. The service they provide is excellent and I figure the price of their fuel allows them to pay the expenses associated with that excellent service and facilities...like a Value Added Tax. They were charging $8.60 a few weeks back but the flight school gets a discount. They quoted me $225 to keep a 182 in their nice community hangar and that include pulling out the aircraft when I plan on flying and putting it away afterwards. After hours service has a separate fee as expected. I can see the value that the higher fuel cost buys in my case and am OK with paying it....particularly considering the low cost of hangaring.

Because they have higher overall costs and limited revenue streams.

Because they have higher overall costs and limited revenue streams.

They could have a larger revenue stream if they didn't mark it up so much. But they have some idiot pricing the stuff thinking, "if we mark it up 300%, we will make soooo much money." Yeah, except you don't sell very much, so you don't make ish. Guarantee that if they don't worry about percentages and just worry about gross/net they end up making more money at the end of the year. But oh no, they have an MBA, they know eeeeeverything.

Had the same thing happen when one of our vendor got bought out. The new "I have an MBA from Stanford" people wanted to start cutting all products that weren't making x%. A bunch of us people without the degrees had to set them straight and let them know if they don't buy a from you, they won't buy b, c, d, e, f, g, or h either and those are where you make the money.

I guess the marble, polished floors, leather furniture, $9.00 fuel and free cookies are great for the G-650 passengers. All I want is self-serve, a reasonably clean restroom and a door to the outside world. I’m not flying in just to see the FBO lobby.

Agreed,
I actively avoid them and I wouldn't if they had more reasonable fuel prices. I'll happily go 40 miles out of my way to avoid the FBO's charging 3 dollars a gall
When you don't understand the meaning of uncontrolled. :D
It's uncontrolled if you turn your radios off :D

Where the heck is it $4.15??
It's not $4.15 north of Memphis. They've been out of fuel for a while now. They should take down their price of fuel is not available. As a controller I ask all the time "is this a fuel stop?". They see cheap gas on ForeFlight and decide to stop. Happens all the time! Almost happened to me on the way home from Oshkosh. Saw fuel prices were updated three day ago at KCHT for $5.25gal. I took my own advice and called FSS to get the NOTAMS for the field before starting my descent. Sure as sh#t they had been out of fuel for weeks.

Eskimos Fuel at PABR is showing $18.65 for 100LL on Foreflight!!

Here's my route from Oshkosh back to Washington State a week ago. The fuel prices along the way are shown from my app. Lots of airports charged more than the price quoted on my app, and other airports just didn't have any fuel at any price. Supply chain problems hit every market. Gas got more expensive as I headed west.
Rqjk8XMh.jpg

I bet the pumps don't work, nor is the price correct.

Its a pretty place to fly into tho with a decent pilot lounge and restroom.

7-22 on airnav said pumps were inop, but the price was updated on 8-3. So who knows.

Hell I'm tempted to make to 30 hour flight for that 2.67 in the top left corner!

Here's my route from Oshkosh back to Washington State a week ago. The fuel prices along the way are shown from my app. Lots of airports charged more than the price quoted on my app, and other airports just didn't have any fuel at any price. Supply chain problems hit every market. Gas got more expensive as I headed west.
Rqjk8XMh.jpg

What FBO's make on 100LL is probably minimal in the grand scheme of things. At EGE, it was a privately owned FBO, great service despite what you fly. They always treated people well, their service was great. They make their money off the jets, a hangar over Christmas for a Falcon 900 was $1200 per night, 3 night minimum.
When I based there, $500/ month for "heated" hangar, where they pulled it out and put it away, I didn't buy enough fuel to make a difference to anyone. But, I got free cookies, popcorn, ice water, and friendly people.

Gaston’s is currently 8.02 will be for a while as y’all know.

I knew we hit peak strangeness when at one point Gaston’s was the cheapest fuel around.o_O

That's weird, I was thinking of this same topic a week ago. Prices are coming down

In the US, Barrow, AK, $11.40

upload_2022-8-10_14-29-0.png

In the lower 48, Key West was over $10 a week ago. Now it looks like St Pete-Clearwater at $10.91
upload_2022-8-10_14-30-7.png

Attachments

• upload_2022-8-10_14-26-50.png
    upload_2022-8-10_14-26-50.png
    163.6 KB · Views: 5
  • upload_2022-8-10_14-28-16.png
    upload_2022-8-10_14-28-16.png
    329.4 KB · Views: 5
No bid deal if you want to post controlled airport prices or prices in Alaska. I just expect all of those to be obviously higher than uncontrolled airports that often don't have fancy FBO's or even fuel trucks, etc.

The example I gave (KINL) is weird in that is in in the lower 48 but its price is very close to Canadian prices when converted L to gallons. So its hard to tell if they priced it closer to the Canadians, which they must have because some of the other border uncontrolled airports aren't almost $10/gallon.

The other worry for the uncontrolled, especially sleepy ones is that if they are stuck buying at say $7.50/gal and have light traffic that tank fill could last forever if nearby places are going through fuel more quickly and getting newer fills and lower rates. I guess its my understanding that when a small uncontrolled municipal airport buys a tank fill that price is locked in until the next fill. Maybe I have that wrong.

Hell I'm tempted to make to 30 hour flight for that 2.67 in the top left corner!
No kidding, I saw that too. Who cares if that one is out of the lower 48 or not. Anyone figure out what was really going on at this location (mogas?)

No kidding, I saw that too. Who cares if that one is out of the lower 48 or not. Anyone figure out what was really going on at this location (mogas?)

I'm wondering if it is a per liter price.

Back