Today in History

My dad was in the navy and would have been involved in the attack of Japan mainland. Throughout the rest of his life he was always convinced he would not have survived.

Same here, USS Mayrant.

It doesn't seem like it. Or at least, we're starting to forget what was learned.

It doesn't seem like it. Or at least, we're starting to forget what was learned.
Don’t worry. It will be a small, contained land war in Europe just big enough to let the people behind the curtain fix some monetary issues.

keep spending all of your money. Saving is for dorks.

My dad was in the navy and would have been involved in the attack of Japan mainland. Throughout the rest of his life he was always convinced he would not have survived.

My dad was also in the Navy. If I recall correctly, he said that his ship had made it through the Panama canal enroute to various invasions (he was on a LSMR, small, slooooow)

This is an article my dad wrote including the description of a photo recon mission over Hiroshima a few days after the bombing.

Attachments

• Target-Hiroshima.pdf
    811.7 KB · Views: 22
My wife’s grandfather was enroute for the land invasion. He said when they got news that Japan surrendered there was a big celebration on his boat and everyone got wasted.

Like others above said, he was also convinced he was on a one way trip.

Growing up next to LTC Kermit Beahan the bombardier on the Nagasaki raid…I can tell you there were others who carried the burden to their deaths. To us he was a hero…but us kids could only whisper about it…

Back