DIY Tug

I realize this post was old, but I’m trying to build a tug using you direction just wondering it you have any diagrams with measurements, found items on eBay from your material list, hoping to start build in 10 days any tips would be appreciated
Thanks
Dan

This looks like a cool winter project. I would probably plan a larger diameter tire do the connection point would be higher. I have wheel pants that make these kinda tugs not as easy to use.

Another idea - just source the parts and sell it as a kit.

I built a tug for my Maule taildragger. I tried a 24V 300 watt motor first, but it wasn't powerful enough even with a 3:1 reduction chain drive. When I looked at the detailed specs, the 300 Watt power output was at 3000 rpm. The static power was a lot less. I wound up going with a 48 volt, 1 kW motor from the electric scooter industry. The twist grip throttle and motor controller came from the same ecosystem. It is basically a motorized hand cart that pulls the tailwheel onto a shelf and then moves the plane. My plane is 1485 pounds empty and can carry 72 gallons of fuel for another 432 pounds in the hangar with full tanks. Useful load is 1,015 pounds, for a total gross weight of 2500 pounds. I also have a slight slope getting into my hangar. Here's a thread from another site where my tug is described. It works great, and was a WHOLE lot cheaper than a Best Tugs (although those are a lot nicer looking). https://backcountrypilot.org/forum/best-towbar-for-a-taildragger-14011?p=346859&hilit=taildragger tug#p346859

Last edited:
If you really need a tug to push an Ercoupe into a hangar you're doing something badly wrong.

Steingar, who at 5'7" pushes a Mooney uphill into his hangar.

In about 30 minutes I built a tug for my Mooney (not that it really needed one, but hey)...I made an attachment for the top of my 2 stage snow blower, so I can hook on the tow bar. I used it a couple times when I was nursing a knee injury.

If you really need a tug to push an Ercoupe into a hangar you're doing something badly wrong.

Steingar, who at 5'7" pushes a Mooney uphill into his hangar.

First, I never said the Ercoupe required a tug.
Second, Maybe read the whole thread...
900lb Ercoupe:dunno:
Doesn’t need a tug, but I had most of the supplies and needed to practice my welding so figured I’d make something useful

Nice, but I don’t know how to weld…so after getting trained and the tools, I figure the DIY tow bar would cost 2 times a retail one would cost.

I just re-read the title and...NO! NO! Bad Brain! Bad!

Back