Angel Flight Co-Pilot?

Garavar

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Garavar
Would love to do Angel/Mercy Flight volunteering, something I have passion for, however after I finish my IFR training I'll be short on the 250 PIC requirement. Was reading the Angel Flight Manuals and it's states "Co-pilots are optional and not required"

Was curious if anyone has ever volunteered and flown a copilot for Angel flight without the 250+ hour requirement. I would love to do that even if I am just sitting there doing nothing and logging no time.

Any insight into Angel/Mercy Flight especially in South East Florida would be welcome. Thanks.

I have flown a bunch of Angel Flights as copilot before reaching the 250 PIC requirement. Most of the time I'd be PIC on the leg without the passenger and copilot on the leg with it.
This way we could both fly and share expenses.

They call them mission assistants on angel Flight ne. I haven't used one yet because generally there is a weight issue for the flights i usually take. But some flights have room.

It's done often. I've even used non-pilots as Mission Assistants. I like them - they can help with the passengers while the pilot flies the airplane, Get in touch with the folks in you local Angel Flight Wing and let them know.

You could fly both legs, just not ACT as PIC when the pax are on board. You could then log it as PIC as Sole Manipulator.

And build some PIC time quickly.

Update:

I applied for Angel Flight (Mercy) Southeast a few months after finishing IFR and I was told they have no need for mission assistants. This was their statement....

"I'm afraid we don't have missions that are available for mission assistants. Once you reach the 250 minimum though, we would be delighted to have your help with our patients!"

It's unfortunate, I have two airplanes readily available and would gladly donate them to help and sit right seat but even with that tidbit in my application that's the response I received.

I am not one for punching holes in the sky. Hence the reasons why I wanted to volunteer. I fly a few times a month but with actual missions so I'll get to 250 eventually just not going to rush.

Thanks again to everyone for input.

Update:

I applied for Angel Flight (Mercy) Southeast a few months after finishing IFR and I was told they have no need for mission assistants. This was their statement....

"I'm afraid we don't have missions that are available for mission assistants. Once you reach the 250 minimum though, we would be delighted to have your help with our patients!"

It's unfortunate, I have two airplanes readily available and would gladly donate them to help and sit right seat but even with that tidbit in my application that's the response I received.

I am not one for punching holes in the sky. Hence the reasons why I wanted to volunteer. I fly a few times a month but with actual missions so I'll get to 250 eventually just not going to rush.

Thanks again to everyone for input.

Hmmm, did you tell them about the airplanes? I suspect there are a lot of instructors out there who would do that deal in a heartbeat.

Edit, missed that part in your post. A phone call is worth a thousand emails. A personal visit is worth 50 phone calls.

Not all Angel Flight regions operate the same unfortunately. Lots of variation. Some like SoCal, use Mission Assistants and some do not. When I flew with Angel Flight Mid Atlantic, they did not have any mission assistants which was kind of sad because I had an airplane where seats/weight was never an issue.

I think Angel Flgiht Mid Atlantic requires 500 hours and 100 hours TiT.

Hmmm, did you tell them about the airplanes? I suspect there are a lot of instructors out there who would do that deal in a heartbeat.

Edit, missed that part in your post. A phone call is worth a thousand emails. A personal visit is worth 50 phone calls.

They knew about the two planes but seemed obtuse. Agree that a personal visit might help but I've learned a long time ago that if someone doesn't want me I am not going to chase them.

They knew about the two planes but seemed obtuse. Agree that a personal visit might help but I've learned a long time ago that if someone doesn't want me I am not going to chase them.
Exactly. they dont want you until they need you.. . I submitted my information awhile back. . I think I literally heard from them a month or more later. . .

Check out PALS skyhope. They are primarily east coast flights. I recently signed up with them as a pilot. Did a trip last January as a mission assistant with my CFII. I don't think they have the volume of flights that AF does, but everyone at the organization has been outstanding to work with.

Ask around and find some AF pilots in your area. Approach them directly.

Exactly. they dont want you until they need you.. . I submitted my information awhile back. . I think I literally heard from them a month or more later. . .

Yup, agreed. But I suspect you dealt with someone lower in the chain who has been told and gave you the standard answer without thinking whereas if you get a little higher in the organization they would see the wisdom in the offering of a plane for someone who can't afford to fly themselves, like an instructor. I know a few instructors around here who would jump at that opportunity. AF is always begging for flights to be fulfilled around here.

Back