Status
Not open for further replies.

MPB

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
MPB
Hey folks,

Went to Oshkosh - got Covid - it was worth it I suppose. Did anyone else get Covid at Oshkosh?

Be careful out there folks - it seems Covid is everywhere!

I went. Was there all week and came home healthy. Sorry you got the Rona....:confused:

over 650,000 people were there....so it should be no surprise that some were gonna get it.

Hey folks,

Went to Oshkosh - got Covid - it was worth it I suppose. Did anyone else get Covid at Oshkosh?

I saw a couple of other attendees post that they'd gotten it (don't remember where I saw the posts). I looked at as one of the risks of attending this year.

On the other hand, we've had a ton of people at work come down with it in the last few weeks, so your odds at Oshkosh may not have been any better or worse than if you'd stayed at home.

Hope you're better soon.

...Went to Oshkosh - got Covid - it was worth it I suppose. Did anyone else get Covid at Oshkosh?
Be careful out there folks - it seems Covid is everywhere!

Numbers are WAY higher than being reported. I'm in the medical field and half of the offices are out infected right now ... mild symptoms usually headache and sinus congestion with sore throat sometimes ...

Probably would have gotten it staying home as well ...

If you leave the house you're going to get it it seems. Wife & I had our bout a month ago when we came back from out west. Hopefully the antibodies from that will stave it off for a few months. It's funny because we went to OSH and then an amusement park last year and never got it, in spite of standing packed in roller coaster lines. Same story going to Busch Gardens in Feb. Seems like whatever the current strain is (are they up to Omega yet?) is SUPER contagious.

My hangar neighbor, Dan, drove to OSH with three others. They all tested negative before leaving.....once there one starts feeling bad and tests positive. First day of the show. A day later another tests positive.

So, on the way out, they all rode together without masks. The two up front end up testing positive and the two in the back were fine.

By Wednesday, a day after the second went down, they decide to come home, 13 hr drive.....all masked up in the car.

Interesting that the pair in the back seat....that later moved to the front for driving....never got it. All four were boosted.

Several people at our airshow this year got it including an 84 year old. Nothing burger really. Everyone was better in a few days. Honestly have had way worse colds. We need to just get on with life.

I got COVID a couple weeks ago when the newest variant was making the news, no vax, no booster, started 5 days of Paxlovid late on the 3rd day of symptoms, by the third day of Pax I felt fine. AFAIK this was my first ever COVID infection.

Several people at our airshow this year got it including an 84 year old. Nothing burger really. Everyone was better in a few days. Honestly have had way worse colds. We need to just get on with life.

Probably a good time for a reminder that this "nothing burger" strain is currently killing 450 americans a day. That's 164,000 a year on an annualized basis.

here-we-go-joker.gif

Probably a good time for a reminder that this "nothing burger" strain is currently killing 450 americans a day. That's 164,000 a year on an annualized basis.

That's .04% of the population. And 1/4 of the number from heart disease and 1/4 the number from cancer. Also less than from accidents.

I'll have the nothing burger with nothing on it with a side of nothing.

Last edited:

From the 2020 CDC data - make of it what you will. We each have our own risk tolerance:
https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/products/databriefs/db427.htm
  • Heart disease: 696,962
  • Cancer: 602,350
  • COVID-19: 350,831
  • Accidents (unintentional injuries): 200,955
  • Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 160,264
  • Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 152,657
  • Alzheimer’s disease: 134,242
  • Diabetes: 102,188
  • Influenza and Pneumonia: 53,544
  • Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome, and nephrosis: 52,547

That's .04% of the population.

Yup....and I read something today that is concerning. More have died with COVID over the last year and a half than prior years....and that's with heavy vax'd folks.

That's .04% of the population. And 1/4 of the number from heart disease and 1/4 the number from cancer. Also less than from accidents.

1,030,000 dead already. Now add the additional 164,000 a year and you will find Covid is the #3 cause of death in the US with life expectancy declining due to Covid.

From the 2020 CDC data - make of it what you will. We each have our own risk tolerance:
https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/products/databriefs/db427.htm
  • Heart disease: 696,962
  • Cancer: 602,350
  • COVID-19: 350,831
  • Accidents (unintentional injuries): 200,955
  • Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 160,264
  • Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 152,657
  • Alzheimer’s disease: 134,242
  • Diabetes: 102,188
  • Influenza and Pneumonia: 53,544
  • Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome, and nephrosis: 52,547

I think we're using the "per day" rubric so the numbers can be scarier. So I'll do some math during this insufferable zoom call :D

• Heart disease: 1,909 per day!
  • Cancer: 1,650 per day!
  • COVID-19: 961 per day!
  • Accidents (unintentional injuries): 551 per day!
  • Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 439 per day!
  • Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 418 per day!
  • Alzheimer’s disease: 368 per day!
  • Diabetes: 280 per day!
  • Influenza and Pneumonia: 147 per day!
  • Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome, and nephrosis: 144 per day!

Death is so spoooooooky! :D

There were spots of COVID at Vintage. A pair of our flight line volunteers got it (husband and wife) as well as both of the regulars in the vintage volunteer kitchen. I noticed that the couple who run the fuel dispensing operation at south maintenance were also out with COVID during the show.

I stuck the q-tip up my nose on Monday morning (as we were going to visit my 70+ sister in law on the way home). I'm off to a family reunion tomorrow so I'll do another test tonight (or tomorrow morning). The good news for me is I spend most of the show out in the open air.

I would love to never hear the word "COVID" again. If people actually gave a $h!t about their health, and that of others, we'd stop eating junk food and processed foot, people would hit the gym regularly, we'd sell our cars and work remote, at least as much as possible, and all the ski venues, scuba dive shops, etc., would close up shop today. Motorcycles would be banned.

The real big one is heart disease, it's the number one killer by far but people can't be bothered to have one less soda per week or take the stairs one flight at their office. It's so disgraceful. Big bad scary COVID! Freaking disgrace our reaction to it.

How many people at EAA have heart disease? How many are diabetic? Where are the PoA threads on that??

What is there no deep fat, steak, cream pies, or hot fudge?

you might be surprised to know what is counted as a covid death.

besides the blatantly obvious stuff that many people were choosing to ignore, the one that scared me the most was when Massachusetts updated their covid death reporting requirements. I 'think' this was posted over on the purple board, I usually like to give credit but I don't recall 100%, but in mass, anyone who died and had covid within the previous 60 days (could have been 60 or 90, I don't recall) was reported as a covid death. so you could have covid, get over it, then 59 days later get hit by a bus and it was counted as a covid death. don't believe me, go look on mass.gov for the article. that is, if you believe the government. now they DID say their requirements were weaker than many other states, but who cares, if you died from ANYTHING other than covid, it, believe it or not, should not be counted as a covid death. crazy, I know. I'll see if I can dig up the link, since no doubt someone will say "link?"

I haven’t read it yet, but Deborah Birx apparently claims in her recent book that the COVID death numbers were deliberately inflated.

insanity:

"Early in the pandemic, and absent clear national guidance, DPH matched COVID-19 surveillance case information with death certificates to identify deaths in people who tested positive for the virus but did not have COVID listed as a cause of death. To avoid the possibility of missing any COVID-associated death, anyone who tested positive for COVID and died was counted as a COVID-associated death regardless of the length of time between their diagnosis and their death or whether COVID was listed as the cause on their death certificate. This approach was overly broad and led to an overcounting of COVID-19-associated deaths."

Lots more insanity (or fixing of the insanity) in the actual article, which again is coming from mass.gov.

So the slow burn Covid is 1/4 of the two biggest causes of death in the US and it’s a nothingburger? Right.

are you parading around preaching healthy eating habits, working out and regular doctor visits to everyone who will listen? are you pushing on everyone that they should wear sunscreen and quit smoking?

Right. It is.... After almost 3 years most of my family and friends have had it....regardless of the vax or no vax or boost status. I know of "no one" who died with COVID or was hospitalized. I guess we was lucky? :rolleyes: Ya think?
So the slow burn Covid is 1/4 of the two biggest causes of death in the US and it’s a nothingburger? Right.

besides the blatantly obvious stuff that many people were choosing to ignore, the one that scared me the most was when Massachusetts updated their covid death reporting requirements. I 'think' this was posted over on the purple board, I usually like to give credit but I don't recall 100%, but in mass, anyone who died and had covid within the previous 60 days (could have been 60 or 90, I don't recall) was reported as a covid death. so you could have covid, get over it, then 59 days later get hit by a bus and it was counted as a covid death. don't believe me, go look on mass.gov for the article. that is, if you believe the government. now they DID say their requirements were weaker than many other states, but who cares, if you died from ANYTHING other than covid, it, believe it or not, should not be counted as a covid death. crazy, I know. I'll see if I can dig up the link, since no doubt someone will say "link?"
You do realize that’s exactly how it is done with any other type of natural death, right? And it might not even be the previous 60 or 90 days, but rather 10 years? Surely you know that. I think it’s always safe to assume that people so well versed on the “fakeness” of Covid statistics took the time to inform themselves and just didn’t base their opinions on what they want to believe. Surely. Right?

are you parading around preaching healthy eating habits, working out and regular doctor visits to everyone who will listen? are you pushing on everyone that they should wear sunscreen and quit smoking?
Strawman and an an ad hominem all rolled into one. Nice work!

You do realize that’s exactly how it is done with any other type of natural death, right? And it might not even be the previous 60 or 90 days, but rather 10 years? Surely you know that. I think it’s always safe to assume that people so well versed on the “fakeness” of Covid statistics took the time to inform themselves and just didn’t base their opinions on what they want to believe. Surely. Right?

no, I don't realize that's how it's done. if someone gets hit by a bus, the cause of death is 'hit by a bus', not "well they had a cough 5 years ago".

what do you mean "want to believe"? the only thing I believe are facts, like the ones I posted/linked. it's not an opinion at all whatsoever.

How you treat it has changed. If you think you have it get to the doc. There are good meds. The new strains are same as the old, lethal to some while nothing burger to others with little rhyme or reason.

I treated mine with dayquil/nyquil and a day of sleep. I do feel bad for the extremely small percentage of old people with underlying issues where covid tipped them over the edge. I also wish this would be reported instead of the mass hysteria that turns whatever's left of people's minds to mush:

upload_2022-8-3_13-58-53.png

(screenshot taken directly from the CDC website)

I treated mine with dayquil/nyquil and a day of sleep. I do feel bad for the extremely small percentage of old people with underlying issues where covid tipped them over the edge. I also wish this would be reported instead of the mass hysteria that turns whatever's left of people's minds to mush:

View attachment 109384

(screenshot taken directly from the CDC website)

And what everyone conveniently ignores (because, well, reasons) when they trot out numbers (probably because they have a hard time with numbers higher than 5) is that just shy of 75% of those are collecting social security. "Oh no, the horror of an old person dying, the world is ending!" Hell they are getting to the age where they *should* be dying from something. So lets take that 0.04% and take a 1/4 of that. 1 out of 10,000 Americans died prematurely. Big ****ing deal. Assuming they died FROM, and not WITH. But again, reasons.

Meanwhile, there was in the neighborhood of 10,000,000 births over the same time period. Not exactly a death knell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back